new eyepiece for spotting scope?

Old September 7th 03, 04:40 PM
Boatman

Default new eyepiece for spotting scope?

I've got a Tasco 50mm spotting scope with a zoom 18-36x eyepiece. I noticed
during some recent Mars watching their is quite a bit of what I think is
achromatic aberration. Plus I don't care about the zoom feature. Is it
possible for a newbie to replace the eyepiece with a better one; sort of a
cheap way to improve the scope? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Boatman

Old September 8th 03, 07:44 AM
William Hamblen

On 2003-09-07, Boatman wrote:

I've got a Tasco 50mm spotting scope with a zoom 18-36x eyepiece. I noticed
during some recent Mars watching their is quite a bit of what I think is
achromatic aberration. Plus I don't care about the zoom feature. Is it
possible for a newbie to replace the eyepiece with a better one; sort of a
cheap way to improve the scope? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

50 mm is pretty small and there's not much room for improvement there. I'd
start saving for a bigger instrument. In the meantime I'd make use of what
I had already.