Atlas V Falters

Old June 16th 07, 02:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_3_]

Default Atlas V Falters

Looks like Delta IV and Atlas V are in a dead-heat again. Atlas V
dumped its NRO payload in a lower than planned orbit today after the
Centaur crapped out.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av009/status.html

Brian
Old June 16th 07, 02:54 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 01:12:45 GMT, in a place far, far away, Brian
Thorn made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Looks like Delta IV and Atlas V are in a dead-heat again. Atlas V
dumped its NRO payload in a lower than planned orbit today after the
Centaur crapped out.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av009/status.html

Is that an Atlas problem, or a Centaur problem?
Old June 16th 07, 03:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:24:41 -0500, in a place far, far away, Damon
Hill made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

(Rand Simberg) wrote in
:

Is that an Atlas problem, or a Centaur problem?

Since the two stages are necessarily an inseparable launch
system, it's an Atlas problem, in the second stage.

I disagree, since the same stage has been used on other launchers.
Old June 16th 07, 04:27 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_3_]

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 01:54:48 GMT, h (Rand
Simberg) wrote:

Looks like Delta IV and Atlas V are in a dead-heat again. Atlas V
dumped its NRO payload in a lower than planned orbit today after the
Centaur crapped out.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av009/status.html

Is that an Atlas problem, or a Centaur problem?

A Centaur problem, but LockMart has been trumpeting its string of
successes going back to... a Centaur failure in 1993.

Old June 16th 07, 09:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy
kT

On Jun 15, 10:17 pm, Damon Hill wrote:
(Rand Simberg) wrote :

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:24:41 -0500, in a place far, far away, Damon
Hill made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

(Rand Simberg) wrote in
:

Is that an Atlas problem, or a Centaur problem?

Since the two stages are necessarily an inseparable launch
system, it's an Atlas problem, in the second stage.

I disagree, since the same stage has been used on other launchers.

Yes, but this still a system since Atlas V currently has no
other upper stage. It succeeds or fails as a system.

This whole thing sounds like nit picking. How much trouble can it get
in a one minute burn? Without any details, they're just blowing smoke.

Old June 16th 07, 01:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 03:27:10 GMT, in a place far, far away, Brian

Simberg) wrote:

Looks like Delta IV and Atlas V are in a dead-heat again. Atlas V
dumped its NRO payload in a lower than planned orbit today after the
Centaur crapped out.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av009/status.html

Is that an Atlas problem, or a Centaur problem?

A Centaur problem, but LockMart has been trumpeting its string of
successes going back to... a Centaur failure in 1993.

[Slight switch of subject]

If I were doing a reliability calculation for the purpose of
determining a need for a launch abort system (at least the one they
are building for Orion), I wouldn't count either failure against it.
The LAS is designed to get away from an exploding upper stage, which
has never happened with a modern LOX/hydrogen system, AFAIK. So I
continue to think that the notion of "human rating" an Atlas is a red
herring.
Old June 16th 07, 02:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Allen Thomson

On Jun 15, 8:12 pm, Brian Thorn wrote:

Looks like Delta IV and Atlas V are in a dead-heat again. Atlas V
dumped its NRO payload in a lower than planned orbit today after the
Centaur crapped out.

Initial observations of what seem to be the Centaur venting fuel over
Iran and the payloads over Texas suggest that the shortfall wasn't
very great. More data will tell the tale.

News - Private rocket falters after N.M. launch Rusty History 8 September 29th 06 10:22 PM
Atlas Pete Lawrence Amateur Astronomy 0 September 21st 05 07:29 PM
Atlas Pete Lawrence UK Astronomy 0 September 21st 05 07:29 PM
which atlas ruiter Amateur Astronomy 18 January 28th 04 03:21 AM
Atlas 8 larryalan Amateur Astronomy 2 November 28th 03 03:02 PM