Cutting the ISS in half.

Old May 25th 09, 04:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

Default Cutting the ISS in half.

Pat Flannery wrote:

Russia may keep their half in orbit after the rest reenters:
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20..._sees_fut.html

Roughly as likely to happen as I am to sprout wings and fly.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old May 25th 09, 04:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
kT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraglider
Old May 25th 09, 05:13 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Yeah there are a lot of ideas floating around as there always are. Its
healthy to keep thinking about this stuff after all, you never know.

I'd imagine unless there are some accidents, the current units should last a
long time if they are looked after.
Brian

Email:

Old May 25th 09, 06:40 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Marvin the Martian

On Mon, 25 May 2009 16:13:37 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yeah there are a lot of ideas floating around as there always are. Its
healthy to keep thinking about this stuff after all, you never know.

I'd imagine unless there are some accidents, the current units should
last a long time if they are looked after.
Brian

Super. The Russians can be preoccupied playing with this toy as we go to
Mars.

--
Flamer & Trolls happily killfiled, as they should. No one should have to
tolerate their abuse. If a flamer should get luck and ask an intelligent
Old May 26th 09, 04:45 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
John Doe

Derek Lyons wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

Russia may keep their half in orbit after the rest reenters:
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20..._sees_fut.html

Roughly as likely to happen as I am to sprout wings and fly.

Actually not as stupid as it looks. Consider that the US segment was all
designed to be supported/maintained by the shuttle.

Major damage to destiny might force the USA segment to be abandonned
because the USA will be without the ability to launch major components
to fix the damage.

The russian segment doesn't require the shuttle for maintenance.

So, it is conceivable that some accident might force the USA to abandon
its segment while Russia might wish to contineu to operate its side.

Of course, without de-orbit capabilities, one has to wonder how they
would de-orbit the USA segment alone.
Old May 26th 09, 06:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

John Doe wrote:

Derek Lyons wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

Russia may keep their half in orbit after the rest reenters:
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20..._sees_fut.html

Roughly as likely to happen as I am to sprout wings and fly.

Actually not as stupid as it looks. Consider that the US segment was all
designed to be supported/maintained by the shuttle.

I didn't say it was stupid, I said it was unlikely to happen.

Major damage to destiny might force the USA segment to be abandonned
because the USA will be without the ability to launch major components
to fix the damage.

The Russian's can't launch major components to fix damage either.

So, it is conceivable that some accident might force the USA to abandon
its segment while Russia might wish to contineu to operate its side.

It's equally concievable that some accident might force Russia to
abandon it's segment, while the other nations wish to continue with
their portions.

D.

Old May 26th 09, 11:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
John Doe

Derek Lyons wrote:

It's equally concievable that some accident might force Russia to
abandon it's segment, while the other nations wish to continue with
their portions.

The lack of propulsion system on the US segment would make it hard for
it to survive without the russian segment. It would require that the US
design a propulsion module and have some means to launch it.

And without the russian segment, you have no soyuz docking, and since
soyuz is currently the escape pod, without it, nobody can stay in the ISS.

If the USA does have some Orion vehicle with some propulsion capability,
then it might be able to act as a propulsion system fior the ISS if
there is always one there. Would probablly require the station be turned
180" so that the russian segment would be up front with the US Orion at
PMA2 in the back to push the station.
Old May 27th 09, 01:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
David Spain

John Doe writes:
If the USA does have some Orion vehicle with some propulsion capability,
then it might be able to act as a propulsion system fior the ISS if
there is always one there. Would probablly require the station be turned
180" so that the russian segment would be up front with the US Orion at
PMA2 in the back to push the station.

It's not clear to me at all that the current proposals for docking adpaters for Orion
would be up to this task. Can anyone enlighten us?

Dave
Old May 27th 09, 07:05 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

David Spain wrote:

John Doe writes:
If the USA does have some Orion vehicle with some propulsion capability,
then it might be able to act as a propulsion system fior the ISS if
there is always one there. Would probablly require the station be turned
180" so that the russian segment would be up front with the US Orion at
PMA2 in the back to push the station.

It's not clear to me at all that the current proposals for docking adpaters for Orion
would be up to this task. Can anyone enlighten us?

I can't see why they wouldn't be - they are essentially the same
adapters the Shuttle uses during reboot.

D.

Old May 28th 09, 02:17 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Jorge R. Frank

Derek Lyons wrote:
David Spain wrote:

John Doe writes:
If the USA does have some Orion vehicle with some propulsion capability,
then it might be able to act as a propulsion system fior the ISS if
there is always one there. Would probablly require the station be turned
180" so that the russian segment would be up front with the US Orion at
PMA2 in the back to push the station.

It's not clear to me at all that the current proposals for docking adpaters for Orion
would be up to this task. Can anyone enlighten us?

I can't see why they wouldn't be - they are essentially the same
adapters the Shuttle uses during reboot.

Not quite - LIDS is designed to be lightweight. Its load-bearing
capacity is still in work but is expected to be somewhat less than APAS.