Asteroid-mining 'FireFlys' will be ready for action by 2015, vows

Old January 28th 13, 06:08 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
Brad Guth[_3_]

Default Asteroid-mining 'FireFlys' will be ready for action by 2015, vows

On Jan 25, 9:18*am, (Wayne Throop) wrote:
: bob haller
: do you really want to launch a empty capsule to orbit just to return
: it as just a transit vehicle for cargo? *sounds pricey to me,
: espically bad for raw materials like gold......

Really? *This is your criticism?

OK. *So. *Your entire premise is that you are manufacturing goods in
space for delivery to earth, and your problem is that you can't figure
out how to get the cargo containers out there?

Wow. *I mean. *Just, wow. *Th at is truly *impressive*, in its way.

That's also my view of bob, in that he's too narrow focused and
doesn't really think such things through, or having considered the
alternatives of simply exploiting those rare-earth/rare-moon elements
plus a few others of sufficient value, as for getting those extracted
and processed into pure solids and then efficiently and otherwise
safely deposited on Earth, or at least into a wild elliptical
trajectory where they can be stored indefinitely and eventually put to
good use. Even the Earth-moon L1 as our OASIS/gateway outpost and
future home of my LSE-CM/ISS could use all the raw processed material
that our moon TBMs and whatever local processing could muster.

Old January 29th 13, 04:07 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
Wayne Throop

::: Wow. I mean. Just, wow. Th at is truly *impressive*, in its way.

:: That's also my view of bob, in that he's too narrow focused and
:: doesn't really think such things through, ...

That's not "narrow". That's "oblivious and unthinking".
If bob were in Vinge's Zones of Thought setting, he'd be near
the center of the Galaxy. AKA "The Unthinking Depths".