Planet found in Alpha Centauri!!!

Old October 17th 12, 04:16 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Planet found in Alpha Centauri!!!

Finally, the closest star system to our own shows signs of having
planets! I would've thought if we were to discover planets in any star
system, it would've been discovered here first! After about 1000 other
planets discovered, the first one in the Alpha Centauri system have been
found. This one orbits around Alpha Centauri B. Still awaiting planets
around AC A, and Proxima Centauri.

Yousuf Khan

Earth-Sized Planet Discovered Orbiting Around Nearest Star | Wired
Science | Wired.com
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...alpha-centauri
Old October 17th 12, 05:11 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 10/16/12 10:16 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Finally, the closest star system to our own shows signs of having
planets! I would've thought if we were to discover planets in any star
system, it would've been discovered here first! After about 1000 other
planets discovered, the first one in the Alpha Centauri system have been
found. This one orbits around Alpha Centauri B. Still awaiting planets
around AC A, and Proxima Centauri.

Yousuf Khan

Earth-Sized Planet Discovered Orbiting Around Nearest Star | Wired
Science | Wired.com
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...alpha-centauri

"The Alpha Centauri system — composed of three stars orbiting one
another — is only 4.4 light-years away, a cosmic stone’s throw from us.
Though the newly discovered planet has about the same mass as our own,
its orbit is 25 times smaller, so a year on this planet passes in just
3.2 days. This means the planet is sitting up against its star, roasting
at perhaps 2,200 degrees Fahrenheit with a surface likely composed of
molten lava".
Old October 17th 12, 02:10 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Oct 16, 8:16*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Finally, the closest star system to our own shows signs of having
planets! I would've thought if we were to discover planets in any star
system, it would've been discovered here first! After about 1000 other
planets discovered, the first one in the Alpha Centauri system have been
found. This one orbits around Alpha Centauri B. Still awaiting planets
around AC A, and Proxima Centauri.

* * * * Yousuf Khan

Earth-Sized Planet Discovered Orbiting Around Nearest Star | Wired
Science | Wired.comhttp://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/10/earth-exoplanet-alpha-centauri

Stars w/o planets may soon become the exception, because now we seem
to have solar systems of multiple suns with multiple planets.

In addition to a small gas giant of 3.6e25 kg as having a pair of
binary suns to work with (that’s a total of 4 suns), it seems we now
have a very nearby solar system to ponder.

“Holy sci-fi awesome space balls. European astronomers have discovered
an alien planet in Alpha Centauri, the star system that's pretty much
our neighbor.”
http://gizmodo.com/5952378/an-earth+...-closest-to-us
“The European team detected the planet by picking up the tiny wobbles
in the motion of the star Alpha Centauri B created by the
gravitational pull of the orbiting planet. The effect is minute—it
causes the star to move back and forth by no more than 51 centimetres
per second (1.8 km/hour), about the speed of a baby crawling. This is
the highest precision ever achieved using this method.”

Sirius also has a few odd little wobbles that do not synchronize to
just their local binary situation. So perhaps there’s some hope that
at least a capture will be noticed by way of similar methods of
detection via star wobble. Perhaps there’s a sol wobble factor and
conceivably even a Jupiter caused wobble that could now be detected.

Imagine if an Earth sized planet can manage to wobble a star of 1.8e30
kg, enough to be detected 4.3 light years away from our instruments,
as to consider how many millions of planets could soon be discovered
in this way.

Our moon wobbles and even modulates Earth in a very big way, and
supposedly that influence in turn wobbles our sun differently than a
planet w/o moon. Just for asking; How much does the gravitational
pulls of Venus or even little Mercury wobble our sun?

http://groups.google.com/groups/search
http://translate.google.com/#
Old October 17th 12, 02:11 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Oct 16, 9:11*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
[...]

In other words, you and other parrots of the mainstream status-quo
have nothing to constructively add to this topic.
Old October 17th 12, 03:42 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Brad Guth:

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:10:07 AM UTC-7, Brad Guth wrote:
Stars w/o planets may soon become the exception,
because now we seem to have solar systems of
multiple suns with multiple planets.

I agree with you here. Now if Barnard's star was ejected from a system, will it have a planet?

I suspect *all* stars have planets, and to be without is exceptional. The planets we can detect further away, have to have their ecliptic aligned pretty close to Earth for us to see them occulting their parent.

Just for asking; How much does the gravitational
pulls of Venus or even little Mercury wobble our
sun?

Swamped by Jupiter.
http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravit...arycenter.html

David A. Smith
Old October 17th 12, 05:25 PM posted to sci.astro
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_3_]

"dlzc" wrote in message ...
Dear Brad Guth:

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:10:07 AM UTC-7, Brad Guth wrote:
Stars w/o planets may soon become the exception,
because now we seem to have solar systems of
multiple suns with multiple planets.

I agree with you here. Now if Barnard's star was ejected from a system, will it have a planet?

I suspect *all* stars have planets,
Given the number Sol has, that’s the first sensible thing I’ve
ever heard from you, Smiffy.
-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
Old October 17th 12, 08:27 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 10/16/12 10:16 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Finally, the closest star system to our own shows signs of having
planets! I would've thought if we were to discover planets in any star
system, it would've been discovered here first! After about 1000 other
planets discovered, the first one in the Alpha Centauri system have been
found. This one orbits around Alpha Centauri B. Still awaiting planets
around AC A, and Proxima Centauri.

Yousuf Khan

Earth-Sized Planet Discovered Orbiting Around Nearest Star | Wired
Science | Wired.com
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...alpha-centauri

ScienceShot: Earth's Ugly Twin
http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceno...in.html?ref=em

Old October 17th 12, 10:52 PM posted to sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Oct 17, 7:42*am, dlzc wrote:
Dear Brad Guth:

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:10:07 AM UTC-7, Brad Guth wrote:

Stars w/o planets may soon become the exception,
because now we seem to have solar systems of
multiple suns with multiple planets.

I agree with you here. *Now if Barnard's star was ejected from a system, will it have a planet?

I suspect *all* stars have planets, and to be without is exceptional. *The planets we can detect further away, have to have their ecliptic aligned pretty close to Earth for us to see them occulting their parent.

Micro-wobbles can be detected at most angles to us, so the new and
improved Wobble methods for detecting planets should greatly help.

Just for asking; How much does the gravitational
pulls of Venus or even little Mercury wobble our
sun?

Swamped by Jupiter.

http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravit...arycenter.html

David A. Smith

That's a very nifty gravity simulator program that amplifies "The
Solar System Barycenter" so that we get to see in detail what various
planets can do to their sun.

Old October 17th 12, 11:14 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
G=EMC^2[_2_]

On Oct 17, 3:27*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 10/16/12 10:16 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Finally, the closest star system to our own shows signs of having
planets! I would've thought if we were to discover planets in any star
system, it would've been discovered here first! After about 1000 other
planets discovered, the first one in the Alpha Centauri system have been
found. This one orbits around Alpha Centauri B. Still awaiting planets
around AC A, and Proxima Centauri.

* * *Yousuf Khan

Earth-Sized Planet Discovered Orbiting Around Nearest Star | Wired
Science | Wired.com
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...alpha-centauri

ScienceShot: Earth's Ugly Twin

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceno...ot-earths-ugly...

WOW goes around fast Mercury goes around in 58 days. How big is the
star its obiting? TreBert
Old October 18th 12, 01:55 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Sam Wormley[_2_]

http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/rigil-kent.html