antagonists digest, volume 2453076

Old March 15th 04, 12:55 PM
Dr.Matt

Default antagonists digest, volume 2453077

In article ,
Frederick Shorts wrote:
The Ice Cream Bandit wrote:

Dr.Matt wrote:

In article ,
Michael Haslam wrote:

Dr.Matt wrote:

And the conjuror is reportedly a fan of well-played Tchaikowsky,
Holst, and Mahler. Here he is in an unretouched photo I took.
Three brownie points to the first person who correctly explains the
ghostly glow which illuminates his right hand.

http://personal.www.umich.edu/~fields/amzng.jpg

A reflection off his spectacles?

I'll call that two points. I'm pretty convinced the spectacles
are involved, as is reflection, but it's not the spectacles
that do the reflecting, and the source of the light hasn't
been identified yet.

I am guessing it's that little light on your digital camera that does
the rangefinding/focus/lightmeter reading.

Any points?

No. Its the flash - butt indirectly. The clue to work this out is simple
geometry. Or, rather, angles. First, work out where the center of the
image is. Now, work out where this spot on the hand is in relation to
the center. Next, look at what is opposite the center from that spot
at the same distance from the center. Clue, look at the sign above his
head. Notice the intense reflection from the flash.

Now, the problem with comsumer grade cameras is that the flash is
right next to the lens. This is the sole cause of the redeye problem
and the solution is to move the flash further off-axis. Most professional
use separate flash units. Often bouncing off a white ceiling as well butt
holding the flash unit away from the lens usually works well enough to
get rid of the redeye problem.

Now, back to the spot. We have to remember that the lens is there. The
flash is reflecting off that sign and coming back to the lens. It is
then reflected again and onto the hand. Now, lens these days are multicoated
to prevent lens flare etc. butt the outside surace of the lens is exposed
and often cleaned. This wears off the coating over time. Usually this
isn't a problem since this reflection problem seldom occurs or, if it
does, comsumers aren't too fussed by it. The solution is to move further
away, get rid of reflective objects in the background or have the subject
pose further away from reflective surfaces. Remember the inverse square
law. The flashes aren't too bright so if a reflective surface is far
enough away, it won't cause as much of a problem.

Tholen should know this since he pretends to be an asstronomer butt he's
too busy dealing with his over sensitivity issues to bother answering.

--
Freddie 'fag' Shorts

I'm loud and I'm proud. I'm gay and I like it that way!
I support Gay Pride! The Ramrod rocks! Go Kerry!

Wanna hire me for web site development? I'm way under-employed!
Contact me by email ) or mail me at
FS Newssite Inc.
101 West 23rd St. Suite 2237, New York, NY, 10011

Check out my current web sites -
http://www.orwellian.org
http://www.miscstuff.org
http://home.nyc.rr.com/cypherpunk/

2.25 points out of 3. A far too complex solution, and one which would
require the metal sign to be washed out by the flash (it says Isaac
Asimov Reference Library). The glass table has been overlooked. But
yes, most of the light in the scene comes from the flash.

The red-eye effect indeed comes from overly direct reflection--off
people's retinas. "Red-eye flashes" work by flashing multiple times
in quick succession, giving the same people's irises a chance to
contract before the picture is actually captured.

--
Matthew H. Fields http://personal.www.umich.edu/~fields
Music: Splendor in Sound
Old March 15th 04, 01:00 PM
Dr.Matt

To which I should add that the lens of this camera is rarely
exposed and cleaned, the lens cover being coupled with the on-off switch.
Old March 15th 04, 09:09 PM

Default antagonists digest, volume 2453080

Today's tally of antagonistic, off-topic, and non sequitur responses:

antagonist # today total aliases
-------------- ------- ----- -------
bartlo 8 85 Emmett Heinz Curley Bartlo, The Ice Cream Bandit, ,
kohl 10 55
cypherpunk 7 49 Frederick Shorts
mandic 2 16
phoenix 12 Phoenix, Master, Boss, Anna Konda, Klytus, Davie Tholen
drpostman 10
nightingale 7 8
fields 7 7
fformby-smythe 5
dizzy 4 4
gadfly 3 3
laura 1 3
osterwald 3
phillips 3
freddy 2
penso 2
chunder 1
ed 1
eshwarr 1
flonkenstein 1
ross 1
rhodes 1
stan 1
widdershins 1
xemblonsky 1
-------------- ------- -----

The Ice Cream Bandit writes:

273 Many thanks!

274 Also the conjuror is famous for exposing frauds and dealing with kooks;
274 Davie is a kook, Davie plays the octomegarobobass claritone,which some
274 community orchestras (grudgingly, and with much personal discomfort)
274 allow to be played in their silly little amateur concerts.

275 I don't think so. This one is smaller than Pluto. They're calling it
275 "Sedna".

276 I am guessing it's that little light on your digital camera that does
276 the rangefinding/focus/lightmeter reading.

276 Any points?

277 You have omitted me from your tally. I DEMAND an explanation, you kook!

278 That's a stupid ****ing question Davie. Especially because it's been
278 answered already. See #266 in a previous post, schmucko.

279 If you did, you'd realize he posts far more about classical music than
279 you do. If you weren't insane, that is.

279 I yam subscribing to cypherpunks' labels.

280 LOL!

What does most of that have to do with either astronomy or classical
music, Bartlo?

gadfly-x writes:

1 just like your punk ass is responding to him now, you peasnt. Shut up and
1 look up at them perty stars.

2 what about me, you never respon to me, Tholen, you peasant bitch. I dont
2 like you much, green teeth.

3 "I am a big whiney poopy head and I suck my neighbor's big toe for money." I
3 heard him.

What does any of that have to do with astronomy, gadfly?

Jerry Kohl writes:

1966 Yabbut, with a little luck, we will be more than adequately compensated for
1966 our loss if at the time Davy was still attached to it by the neckstrap. ;-)

1966 "Légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal."

1967 Unsubstantiated erroneous presuppositional pontification, Zwar.

1967 "Légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal."

1968 Him got small vocabulary.

1968 "Légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal."

1969 Ref.: index 1957, citing index 1955, citing index 1951.

1969 "Légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal."

1970 It's a greasy pole, Don!

1970 "Légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal."

1971 QED. There is of course also the possibility that he has both admitted defeat
1971 *and* is full of it.

1971 "Légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal."

1972 Wouldn't that be redundant? Tholen already does this.

1972 "Légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal."

1973 [snip]

1973 Some of the happiest hours of my life have been spent bouncing
1973 Steinways down long flights of basement stairs. ;-)

1973 Ooh, yer gonna be in big trouble now! Tholen doesn't like it when
1973 people call his favourite instrument ****!

1973 "Légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal."

1974 If dizzy is right about his jockstrap, this could be even better than you
1974 thought!

1974 "Légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal."

1975 MVR! We can only hope!

1975 "Légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal."

What does any of that have to do with classical music or astronomy, Kohl?

dizzy writes:

801 Or by his jockstrap...

802 On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:39:05 GMT, tholen tholed:

How does one allegedly "thole" when posting, dizzy?

802 Kook.

803 On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:13:56 GMT, tholen tholed:

How does one allegedly "thole" when posting, dizzy?

803 Kook.

804 On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:30:00 GMT, tholen tholed:

How does one allegedly "thole" when posting, dizzy?

804 Kook.

What does your ongoing antagonism have to do with classical music
or astronomy, dizzy?

nightingale writes:

1524 Oh no!! There was only one octocontrabass clarinet - what a loss to the
1524 world if it's now lost in space.

1525 I don't know about that - Jerry has quite a large lead.

1526 It looks like reflection of light, either from a lamp or window, off a
1526 watch.

1527 LOL!!

1528 We were talking about that shortly before your return.

1529 I didn't think that was taken with a flash - it's so dark.

1530 He probably thought that your question was antagonistic.

1530 Is the competition on again? It's a start, but you've still got a long
1530 way to go before you can catch Jerry.

What does most of that have to do with classical music or astronomy,
nightingale?

Cypherpunk writes:

469 Roids? Hay, that sounds like Tholen to me! He's got serous roid issues too.

469 Freddie 'fag' Shorts

469 I'm loud and I'm proud. I'm gay and I like it that way!
469 I support Gay Pride! The Ramrod rocks! Go Kerry!

469 Wanna hire me for web site development? I'm way under-employed!

470 ZZZzzzzzzzzz...............

470 Why don't youz tell us Tholoputz?

470 Classic evasion.

470 Classic pontification.

470 Non sequitur.

470 Beats me. Who are you talking to, Tholopoops?

470 Freddie 'fag' Shorts

470 I'm loud and I'm proud. I'm gay and I like it that way!
470 I support Gay Pride! The Ramrod rocks! Go Kerry!

470 Wanna hire me for web site development? I'm way under-employed!

471 Well, he wasn't dumb enough that he couldn't remove 2 of his prefered
471 newsfroups from the list. I've added these back for consistency.

471 Freddie 'fag' Shorts

471 I'm loud and I'm proud. I'm gay and I like it that way!
471 I support Gay Pride! The Ramrod rocks! Go Kerry!

471 Wanna hire me for web site development? I'm way under-employed!

472 Oh no! Looks like Plugger's buttplug got launched way past LEO on MAR.1!

472 Freddie 'fag' Shorts

472 I'm loud and I'm proud. I'm gay and I like it that way!
472 I support Gay Pride! The Ramrod rocks! Go Kerry!

472 Wanna hire me for web site development? I'm way under-employed!

473 Maybe NASA can build another one. It sounds like a good replacement
473 for the space shuttle. What do you think they should call this one?
473 Tholen? Roid Warrior? Non Sequitur? The Pontificator?

473 What about a motto? To boldly go where no kook has gone before?

473 And if it gets to Mars it can take a closer look at that Playboy bunny.
473 I wonder how it would go at mass transit?

473 Freddie 'fag' Shorts

473 I'm loud and I'm proud. I'm gay and I like it that way!
473 I support Gay Pride! The Ramrod rocks! Go Kerry!

473 Wanna hire me for web site development? I'm way under-employed!

474 No. Its the flash - butt indirectly. The clue to work this out is simple
474 geometry. Or, rather, angles. First, work out where the center of the
474 image is. Now, work out where this spot on the hand is in relation to
474 the center. Next, look at what is opposite the center from that spot
474 at the same distance from the center. Clue, look at the sign above his
474 head. Notice the intense reflection from the flash.

474 Now, the problem with comsumer grade cameras is that the flash is
474 right next to the lens. This is the sole cause of the redeye problem
474 and the solution is to move the flash further off-axis. Most professional
474 use separate flash units. Often bouncing off a white ceiling as well butt
474 holding the flash unit away from the lens usually works well enough to
474 get rid of the redeye problem.

474 Now, back to the spot. We have to remember that the lens is there. The
474 flash is reflecting off that sign and coming back to the lens. It is
474 then reflected again and onto the hand. Now, lens these days are multicoated
474 to prevent lens flare etc. butt the outside surace of the lens is exposed
474 and often cleaned. This wears off the coating over time. Usually this
474 isn't a problem since this reflection problem seldom occurs or, if it
474 does, comsumers aren't too fussed by it. The solution is to move further
474 away, get rid of reflective objects in the background or have the subject
474 pose further away from reflective surfaces. Remember the inverse square
474 law. The flashes aren't too bright so if a reflective surface is far
474 enough away, it won't cause as much of a problem.

474 Tholen should know this since he pretends to be an asstronomer butt he's
474 too busy dealing with his over sensitivity issues to bother answering.

474 Freddie 'fag' Shorts

474 I'm loud and I'm proud. I'm gay and I like it that way!
474 I support Gay Pride! The Ramrod rocks! Go Kerry!

474 Wanna hire me for web site development? I'm way under-employed!

475 Non sequitur.

475 Freddie 'fag' Shorts

475 I'm loud and I'm proud. I'm gay and I like it that way!
475 I support Gay Pride! The Ramrod rocks! Go Kerry!

475 Wanna hire me for web site development? I'm way under-employed!

What does most of that have to do with astronomy or classical music,
Cypherpunk?

Laura writes:

3 Look, I'm not one of your detractors.

Irrelevant, given that I never said you are, Laura. I merely asked
what your posting had to do with astronomy or classical music.

3 In fact, I have no idea what you stand
3 for, and what gets so many people so worked up about you.

What does your lack of an idea about that have to do with astronomy,
Laura?

3 I simply happened
3 to stumble on a funny post signature, and commented on it.

In classical music- and astronomy-related newsgroups.

3 Fun (you may have heard of it).

Off-topic.

3 Ok, it's off-topic for the newsgroup, but so it this entire thread.

Incorrect; my questions are on-topic.

3 You tell me how "antagonist's digest" can *ever* be related to
3 astronomy or classical music.

Simple: by asking what an antagonist's posting has to do with the
newsgroup in which the antagonism was posted, Laura.

3 Isn't it more like a regurgitation of posts
3 that are those things that you complain about?

Feel free to skip them if you've seen them before.

3 Explain how reposting something that is off-topic is less of an
3 offense than posting off-topic to begin with.

Unnecessary, given that you just did so. Or are you one of those
people who objects to self-defense, Laura?

Anthony Mandic writes:

19 They said they asked Tholen to check it out since he
19 has a clearer view from Hawaii, but he refused, saying
19 he had more important things to do in Usenet.

20 Dr. David Tholen is mentally ill.

20 He posts his "digests" so we can make fun of him.

20 This will go on until the day he dies.

20 Don't bother trying to reason with him, for he is a mad scientist.

20 Mad at everyone.

What do your unsubstantiated and erroneous claims have to do with
astronomy, Mandic?

Matthew H. Fields writes:

810 And the conjuror is reportedly a fan of well-played Tchaikowsky,
810 Holst, and Mahler. Here he is in an unretouched photo I took.
810 Three brownie points to the first person who correctly explains the
810 ghostly glow which illuminates his right hand.

811 I'll call that two points. I'm pretty convinced the spectacles
811 are involved, as is reflection, but it's not the spectacles
811 that do the reflecting, and the source of the light hasn't
811 been identified yet.

812 With all respect, I don't object!

813 Nah, the source of light is much more obvious.

814 2.25 points out of 3. A far too complex solution, and one which would
814 require the metal sign to be washed out by the flash (it says Isaac
814 Asimov Reference Library). The glass table has been overlooked. But
814 yes, most of the light in the scene comes from the flash.

814 The red-eye effect indeed comes from overly direct reflection--off
814 people's retinas. "Red-eye flashes" work by flashing multiple times
814 in quick succession, giving the same people's irises a chance to
814 contract before the picture is actually captured.

815 To which I should add that the lens of this camera is rarely
815 exposed and cleaned, the lens cover being coupled with the on-off switch.

816 Finally! 3 brownie points to Coby. The award has been sent to you
816 via telekinesis.

What does that have to do with classical music or astronomy, Fields?

Old March 16th 04, 03:04 AM
Frederick Shorts

"Dr.Matt" wrote:

In article ,
Frederick Shorts wrote:
The Ice Cream Bandit wrote:

Dr.Matt wrote:

In article ,
Michael Haslam wrote:

Dr.Matt wrote:

[...]

Cheapskate!

A far too complex solution,

Not really! Simple angles really.

and one which would
require the metal sign to be washed out by the flash (it says Isaac
Asimov Reference Library).

Not quite. Since the light from the flash reaches it at an angle, most
of the light gets reflected away and upwards. Butt some comes back and
this is evident from the flare. You can also see it to a lesser extent
with the picture rail above the sign.

The glass table has been overlooked. But
yes, most of the light in the scene comes from the flash.

I had considered the glass topped table. It should reflect some light too
butt I could see no evidence for this in the photo.

The red-eye effect indeed comes from overly direct reflection--off
people's retinas. "Red-eye flashes" work by flashing multiple times
in quick succession, giving the same people's irises a chance to
contract before the picture is actually captured.

Generally, they only do one pre-flash. Its still a problem because the
iris only closes so much. So all you get its a smaller red dot in the
eye. Its not really a good solution.

Old March 16th 04, 03:07 AM
Frederick Shorts

"Dr.Matt" wrote:

To which I should add that the lens of this camera is rarely
exposed and cleaned, the lens cover being coupled with the on-off switch.

Yes, most of them are like that nowdays. They would still attract some dust
while open.

It might also be an idea to open the cover and look at the lens or rather
look at it at an angle to get a reflection off its surface. You'll notice
that it is usually an orange-red color - this is from the multicoating.

Old March 16th 04, 03:12 AM
Frederick Shorts

"Dr.Matt" wrote:

In article ,
Coby Beck wrote:

"Dr.Matt" wrote in message
news
In article ,
And the conjuror is reportedly a fan of well-played Tchaikowsky,
Holst, and Mahler. Here he is in an unretouched photo I took.
Three brownie points to the first person who correctly explains the
ghostly glow which illuminates his right hand.

http://personal.www.umich.edu/~fields/amzng.jpg

I would say it is the light from the flash bulb, reflected off of the glass
desktop, refracted by the eye-glasses. It may be possible to support a
further supposition as to wether it is the main-part of the lens or the
bi-focal part, but I don't want to think that hard at the moment.

Finally! 3 brownie points to Coby. The award has been sent to you
via telekinesis.

I think this is wrong. If it were the spectacles, then there would be
2 spots and not one. I don't see another one near it so I can't see how
it could be the spectacles. The angle doesn't see right and the shape of
the spot is too round.

It also doesn't account for the reddish orange color of the spot. Going
from the flash directly to the glass-topped table and then thru the
spectacles shouldn't cause a change in color. It should remain white.
Bouncing off the front lens of the camera would explain that color though.

Old March 16th 04, 03:35 AM
Dr.Matt

In article ,
Frederick Shorts wrote:
"Dr.Matt" wrote:

In article ,
Coby Beck wrote:

"Dr.Matt" wrote in message
news In article ,
[...]

nope, the cassette in the foreground blocks one of 'em, and the
table is huge and mostly not in the frame.

It also doesn't account for the reddish orange color of the spot. Going
from the flash directly to the glass-topped table and then thru the
spectacles shouldn't cause a change in color. It should remain white.
Bouncing off the front lens of the camera would explain that color though.

Trying to salvage your complex solution, but this is indoors, mainly
lit by the flash, and that's just the color of his hand.

Old March 16th 04, 07:01 AM
Coby Beck

"Dr.Matt" wrote in message
Frederick Shorts wrote:
It also doesn't account for the reddish orange color of the spot. Going
from the flash directly to the glass-topped table and then thru the
spectacles shouldn't cause a change in color. It should remain white.
Bouncing off the front lens of the camera would explain that color

though.

Trying to salvage your complex solution, but this is indoors, mainly
lit by the flash, and that's just the color of his hand.

Personally I don't think Mr Shorts is serious, but... a reflection from the
lens of the camera would not focus the light to that spot, it would difuse
it because it is a convex surface anyway.

--
Coby Beck
(remove #\Space "coby 101 @ big pond . com")

Old March 16th 04, 12:40 PM
Frederick Shorts

"Dr.Matt" wrote:

In article ,
Frederick Shorts wrote:
"Dr.Matt" wrote:

In article ,
Coby Beck wrote:

"Dr.Matt" wrote in message
news In article ,
[...]

Nope, incorrect. You are erroneously presupposing that the flash is from the
left. Look a little closer. The flash is coming from the right. Look at the
shadow cast by the box on the bottom right. The format of the image also helps
here. Its clear that the camera was rotate 90 degrees to take a vertical
image and thus moving the position of the flash. The glasses aren't blocked
by the cassette from the perspective of the flash.

Also notice the shadow of the glasses on the shirt just behind it. Its clear
that the glasses are close to the edge of the table. They cast a clear shadow
on the shirt. Both of the lenses do this.

It also doesn't account for the reddish orange color of the spot. Going
from the flash directly to the glass-topped table and then thru the
spectacles shouldn't cause a change in color. It should remain white.
Bouncing off the front lens of the camera would explain that color though.

Trying to salvage your complex solution, but this is indoors, mainly
lit by the flash, and that's just the color of his hand.

His hand is already well lit by the flash. If there was more white light,
the hand would just be brighter and not changed in color. If you have an
image viewer, download the image and zoom in on that spot. Notice the
cross pattern around the spot? Its whitish in color and runs up and down
and across (butt partially obscured by the beard and phone cord).
This is starburst pattern and well known to photographers.

Old March 16th 04, 12:47 PM
Dr.Matt

In article ,
Frederick Shorts wrote:
"Dr.Matt" wrote:

In article ,
Frederick Shorts wrote:
"Dr.Matt" wrote:

In article ,
Coby Beck wrote:

"Dr.Matt" wrote in message
news In article ,
[...]

Wrong. I have the camera so I know.

shadow cast by the box on the bottom right. The format of the image also helps
here. Its clear that the camera was rotate 90 degrees to take a vertical
image and thus moving the position of the flash. The glasses aren't blocked
by the cassette from the perspective of the flash.

Presupposition on your part.

Also notice the shadow of the glasses on the shirt just behind it. Its clear
that the glasses are close to the edge of the table. They cast a clear shadow
on the shirt. Both of the lenses do this.

All presupposition on your part, and your theory of a bounce off
the camera lens still doesn't work because the camera lens is
still the wrong shape.

It also doesn't account for the reddish orange color of the spot. Going
from the flash directly to the glass-topped table and then thru the
spectacles shouldn't cause a change in color. It should remain white.
Bouncing off the front lens of the camera would explain that color though.

Trying to salvage your complex solution, but this is indoors, mainly
lit by the flash, and that's just the color of his hand.

His hand is already well lit by the flash. If there was more white light,
the hand would just be brighter and not changed in color. If you have an

What do you mean by changed in color? I still don't see it.

image viewer, download the image and zoom in on that spot. Notice the
cross pattern around the spot? Its whitish in color and runs up and down
and across (butt partially obscured by the beard and phone cord).
This is starburst pattern and well known to photographers.

I still don't see any of those details and conclude you're having
a field day making stuff up.