New "planet" discovered; heliocentric theory still questioned

Old March 17th 04, 06:56 AM
Rick Sobie

Default New "planet" discovered; heliocentric theory still questioned

"Matthew Montchalin" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Rick Sobie wrote:
| We cannot have a token native planet. Be serious, the planets are not
| the property of any one group and to name the planet Sedna, reflects
| several things.
|
| 1) That somehow the natives have no association with the other planets.
|
| 2)That for racial reasons or reasons of guilt, the natives were given a planet
| somewhere at the end of the universe.
|
| 3) We have abandoned the Greek naming convention for reasons of insanity
|
|Grekko Roman Finnish whatever, look we gave them Nunavit that was
|appology enough. This is going too far. IMHO

Let me get this straight, I'm confused. The planet may be spelled Sedna,
but it is pronounced Sobie, right?

No.

How can I put this so you can understand it?

Have you ever heard of the mysteries?

Well they are real mysterious.

Hows that?

Nope, didn't think so. OK, then...

Things are not always as they seem on the surface.

If I could just up and tell you the whole story you would go,
"Ohhhhhhh.... now I see, that explains everything!"

But unfortunately I can't.

Jupiter, has a blue band around it.

Why is Jupiter (Zeus) blue?

He has a daughter here on earth, who has reincarnated as a
person, as people do. Not unusual at all. Well unusual, but
not so unusual these days. When people reincarnate, they
are very rarely in the same family. But people have true families of
origin.

There have been a series of events which have led some to believe
that for some reason Zeus has abandoned his daughter, and the Sedna
story reflects that opinion. That opinion is false, perhaps because they
thought someone else was his daughter, or perhaps because they
simply did not know who his daughter was.

Do you know what it means when people talk about the collapse
of the wave function?

Well that is when all things tend to lead in one direction and you
become convinced that something is true, yet there may be the smallest
of doubts left, but yet you make it public anyway and then the wave function
collapses and you find yourself in the middle of the street with
your pants down around your knees, with sand in your hands slipping
through your fingers.

I don't suppose that helps at all but that is what happens often.

So that is the best I can do for now.

[...We Belong to the light, We Belong to the thunder, We Belong to the sound of the words
We've both fallen under...]
Pat Benatar (We Belong)

Keep in mind these are merely my comments regarding the new planet question
and from your perspective this may not make any sense at all.

But undoubtedly it will make sense to some.

Old March 17th 04, 07:01 AM
Double-A

(Pietro Sommavilla) wrote in message om...
(Pietro Sommavilla) wrote in message . com...
Wally Anglesea? wrote in message . ..
On 15 Mar 2004 10:39:08 -0800,
(Pietro
Sommavilla) wrote:

(John Baez) wrote in message ...
From the news at

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...199151404.html

we read:

New planet discovery to be announced
March 15, 2004

American scientists were today expected to announce that they had found
a new "planet" in our solar system.

A 10th heavenly body has been spotted orbiting the Earth.

The "planet" SEDNA was discovered by Michael Brown.
(Institute of Tecnology California)

Anyway..it's just a lirock.

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/sedna/

..yeah..another asteroid like ..quaoar

but still called a planet (planetoid)

Earth (----------------) 12.756km

Moon (---) 3.476km

Mercury (----) 4.878km

Pluton (--) 2.280km

Sedna (-) [around] 1.290-1.770km

So I guess there is it !
The Sumerian's 12th planet.

Cough! Cough! Choke! Gag!!!

Why not Superman's 12th planet?

Ha ha ha!

Double-A
Old March 17th 04, 07:05 AM
Rick Sobie

"Rick Sobie" wrote in message news:bES5c.827920$ts4.700715@pd7tw3no...

"Matthew Montchalin" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Rick Sobie wrote:
| We cannot have a token native planet. Be serious, the planets are not
| the property of any one group and to name the planet Sedna, reflects
| several things.
|
| 1) That somehow the natives have no association with the other planets.
|
| 2)That for racial reasons or reasons of guilt, the natives were given a planet
| somewhere at the end of the universe.
|
| 3) We have abandoned the Greek naming convention for reasons of insanity
|
|Grekko Roman Finnish whatever, look we gave them Nunavit that was
|appology enough. This is going too far. IMHO

Let me get this straight, I'm confused. The planet may be spelled Sedna,
but it is pronounced Sobie, right?

No.

How can I put this so you can understand it?

Have you ever heard of the mysteries?

Well they are real mysterious.

Hows that?

Nope, didn't think so. OK, then...

Things are not always as they seem on the surface.

If I could just up and tell you the whole story you would go,
"Ohhhhhhh.... now I see, that explains everything!"

But unfortunately I can't.

Jupiter, has a blue band around it.

Why is Jupiter (Zeus) blue?

He has a daughter here on earth, who has reincarnated as a
person, as people do. Not unusual at all. Well unusual, but
not so unusual these days. When people reincarnate, they
are very rarely in the same family. But people have true families of
origin.

There have been a series of events which have led some to believe
that for some reason Zeus has abandoned his daughter, and the Sedna
story reflects that opinion. That opinion is false, perhaps because they
thought someone else was his daughter, or perhaps because they
simply did not know who his daughter was.

Do you know what it means when people talk about the collapse
of the wave function?

Well that is when all things tend to lead in one direction and you
become convinced that something is true, yet there may be the smallest
of doubts left, but yet you make it public anyway and then the wave function
collapses and you find yourself in the middle of the street with
your pants down around your knees, with sand in your hands slipping
through your fingers.

OK just so there is absolutely no confusion regarding who I am referring to,
and you can go ahead and name the planet whatever you want, for your
own reasons, but just to clear the air in this regard, smelly cat.

[...my blue heaven...]
Doris Day

Old March 17th 04, 08:23 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , BHZellner
writes
... Google still has the old version cached. Do a
Google News search for "spotted orbiting the
Earth".

With whips and chains, you could not force some
of my freshman astronomy students to make a
distinction between "orbiting the earth" and
"orbiting the sun." On their most recent exam,
quite a few told me that Io with its sulfur
volcanism or Titan with its thick atmosphere are
satellites of Venus. A few even said that both
are satellites of the earth.

And those are the people who will be the newspaper
writers of the next generation.

But isn't IO the tenth planet?
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!
Old March 17th 04, 09:41 AM
Matthew Montchalin

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Rick Sobie wrote:
|OK just so there is absolutely no confusion regarding who I am referring to,
|and you can go ahead and name the planet whatever you want, for your
|own reasons, but just to clear the air in this regard, smelly cat.
|

|[...my blue heaven...]
|Doris Day

ok, good choice!

Old March 18th 04, 12:20 AM

Jonathan Silverlight writes:

BHZellner wrote:

With whips and chains, you could not force some
of my freshman astronomy students to make a
distinction between "orbiting the earth" and
"orbiting the sun." On their most recent exam,
quite a few told me that Io with its sulfur
volcanism or Titan with its thick atmosphere are
satellites of Venus. A few even said that both
are satellites of the earth.

And those are the people who will be the newspaper
writers of the next generation.

But isn't IO the tenth planet?

Well, back in the days of Voyager, I did hear a Los Angeles
radio broadcaster refer to the volcanoes discovered on
Jupiter's satellite "ten".

Old March 18th 04, 04:08 AM
Alan Moore

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 06:12:33 +0000 (UTC), (John
Baez) wrote:

From the news at

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...199151404.html

we read:

New planet discovery to be announced
March 15, 2004

American scientists were today expected to announce that they had found
a new "planet" in our solar system.

A 10th heavenly body has been spotted orbiting the Earth.

Well, that clears things up. It's obviously not a planet, but another
moon. Just a rather distand one.

Al Moore
Old March 18th 04, 08:06 AM
Rick Sobie

"Matthew Montchalin" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Rick Sobie wrote:
|OK just so there is absolutely no confusion regarding who I am referring to,
|and you can go ahead and name the planet whatever you want, for your
|own reasons, but just to clear the air in this regard, smelly cat.
|

|[...my blue heaven...]
|Doris Day

ok, good choice!

Just a sidebar...

She seems to have a much nicer battle planet than we have so I guess Dad
always liked her best.
Compare them for yourself
Here is hers...
http://www.astronomy.com/images/astr..._deathstar.jpg

And here is ours, upside down with the a big crack in it.

bottom right
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/publications.../slide_26.html
and a 360 degree view
http://www.grucol.com/luna_1258542-265.avi
and for a glimpse at the interior damage, middle of the page here...
http://www.labyrinthina.com/ica.htm

Old March 18th 04, 08:11 AM
Rick Sobie

"Rick Sobie" wrote in message news:7Mc6c.848398$X%5.800128@pd7tw2no...

"Matthew Montchalin" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Rick Sobie wrote:
|OK just so there is absolutely no confusion regarding who I am referring to,
|and you can go ahead and name the planet whatever you want, for your
|own reasons, but just to clear the air in this regard, smelly cat.
|

|[...my blue heaven...]
|Doris Day

ok, good choice!

Just a sidebar...

She seems to have a much nicer battle planet than we have so I guess Dad
always liked her best.
Compare them for yourself
Here is hers...
http://www.astronomy.com/images/astr..._deathstar.jpg

And here is ours, upside down with the a big crack in it.

bottom right
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/publications.../slide_26.html
and a 360 degree view
http://www.grucol.com/luna_1258542-265.avi
and for a glimpse at the interior damage, middle of the page here...
http://www.labyrinthina.com/ica.htm

psst....
nudge nudge wink wink say no more...
http://www.the-planet-saturn.com/Rhe...of-Saturn.html