New Plasma Propulsion System Generates A Helluva Lot of Thrust

Old February 2nd 21, 07:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default New Plasma Propulsion System Generates A Helluva Lot of Thrust

The next big thing in space propulsion?:

"Our solar system just became a little bit smaller due to a new plasma propulsion
concept developed by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Principal Research Physicist,
Dr. Fatima Ebrahimi. Her new engine uses plasmoids and magnetic fields to generate
thrust, making crewed missions to distant planets, such as Mars, significantly
more manageable and less costly."

"“The idea for this thruster comes from my simulations of helicity injection in
the [National Spherical Torus Experiment] NSTX fusion experiment in Princeton, a
technique used to create the initial plasma current in a Tokamak [fusion reactor].
My simulations showed these plasma rings called plasmoids are being created and
moving at very high speed,” Dr. Ebrahimi explained.

According to computer simulations run by the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory
and the National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center at the Lawrence
Berkeley National Laboratory in Berkeley, California, her thruster concept
produced exhaust velocities that are ten times greater than a traditional ion
propulsion system with heart-stopping speeds at hundreds of kilometers per
second."

See:

https://thedebrief.org/fusionpropulsion/

Old February 2nd 21, 09:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 2/2/2021 3:46 PM, Alain Fournier wrote:
On Feb/2/2021 at 13:30, wrote :
See:

https://thedebrief.org/fusionpropulsion/

Cool!

I disagree. It's hot, very very hot....

;-)

Dave

Old February 2nd 21, 10:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On Feb/2/2021 at 13:30, wrote :
See:

https://thedebrief.org/fusionpropulsion/

Cool!

I disagree. It's hot, very very hot....

;-)

Dave

Indeed!

Alain Fournier

Old February 3rd 21, 04:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

On Feb/2/2021 at 13:30, wrote :
See:

https://thedebrief.org/fusionpropulsion/

Cool!

I disagree. It's hot, very very hot....

;-)

Dave

Indeed!

Alain Fournier

Sounds great in the lab... let's see how it scales and all.

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/

Old February 3rd 21, 10:25 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot[_4_]

How radioactive is the exhaust?

Old February 3rd 21, 01:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

My understanding is that the exhaust is not radioactive at all. I don't
think it is a nuclear propulsion system. They just accelerate a plasma
the way they do it when they start up a Tokamak. In the Tokamak, the
plasma moves at very high speeds before initiating nuclear reactions.

Think of it as a novel way to make an ion drive.

Alain Fournier

Old February 4th 21, 03:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot[_4_]

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021, Alain Fournier wrote:

My understanding is that the exhaust is not radioactive at all. I
don't think it is a nuclear propulsion system. They just accelerate a
plasma the way they do it when they start up a Tokamak. In the
Tokamak, the plasma moves at very high speeds before initiating
nuclear reactions.

Think of it as a novel way to make an ion drive.

As Tokamaks do get radioative upon ussage, I doubt that exhaust isn't
radioactive.
Old February 4th 21, 08:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

On Thursday, William Elliot queried:
On Wed, 3 Feb 2021, Alain Fournier wrote:

My understanding is that the exhaust is not radioactive at all. I
don't think it is a nuclear propulsion system. They just accelerate a
plasma the way they do it when they start up a Tokamak. In the
Tokamak, the plasma moves at very high speeds before initiating
nuclear reactions.

Think of it as a novel way to make an ion drive.

As Tokamaks do get radioative upon ussage, I doubt that exhaust isn't
radioactive.

Tokamaks require the plasma to be contained to reach the pressures for
fusion, and they are still working on getting enough pressure for long
enough to claim sustained fusion. They are still building the
structures (as an international project) for ITER. There have been
recent photos, looking a lot like the stacking photos for SLS.

/dps

--
There's nothing inherently wrong with Big Data. What matters, as it
does for Arnold Lund in California or Richard Rothman in Baltimore, are