Johnny Carson R.I.P.

Old January 24th 05, 06:54 AM
abc

That's Johnny!

Sam Wormley wrote:

Rod Mollise wrote:
HI Gang:

Very sad news. Former Tonight Show host and long-time amateur astronomer
Johnny Carson has died at 79. :-(

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Thanks to Johnny, Ames High School (IA) has 30 Celestron C-5s for use by
9th graders taking earth science (astronomy and geology)... Johnny donated
them anonymously working with school science teacher, Jack Troeger. Johnny's
only request was that they each have a plate, "In Memory of Carl Sagan".

More than a thousand students have enriched their lives learning the night
sky with those telescopes. They study for many weeks learning how to use and
care for those instruments. Parents were not allowed to use the telescope
without getting proper training as their kids have had.

Thanks Johnny!

Old January 24th 05, 07:00 AM
abc

On tonight's local news they trotted out some 19 year old Chinese girl who
barely
speaks English to tell us all who and what Johnny was. I damned near threw
up. Did you know he once visited LaMars, IDAHO? He swallowed a dog
on one of his shows? He beat his wife, regularly? I'm not kidding. I did

throw up. Hell Im so sick I should be in bed now! Good Night.!!!

Lat's Lr'honny! An' lats tonights .... lewz.

abc

Old January 24th 05, 08:27 AM
Martin R. Howell

On 23 Jan 2005 19:52:01 GMT, Rod Mollise wrote:

Very sad news. Former Tonight Show host and long-time amateur astronomer
Johnny Carson has died at 79. :-(

I told two youngish (16 or 17 year olds) tonight at work of Johhny's
passing.

One gave me a puzzled look and the other replied, "Who's he?"

How sad.

--
Martin R. Howell
Old January 24th 05, 11:11 AM
bluetooth

RMOLLISE wrote:

Hi:

If I recall correctly, Johnny had quite a few scopes, including, at one
time, a Questar 7 and a C14.

Someone said that Johnny could tell you the sidereal time.

Old January 24th 05, 02:42 PM
Davoud

Martin R. Howell:
I told two youngish (16 or 17 year olds) tonight at work of Johhny's
passing.

One gave me a puzzled look and the other replied, "Who's he?"

How sad.

Neither sad nor surprising. It's a generational thing and it has to do
with the ephemeral nature of television. One could hardly expect a man
who is a television icon to you and me to be known to anyone who was
three years old when he left television -- particularly when he was a
very private person who sought no publicity following his retirement.

I'm 60 years old. I can't name a single popular radio personality who
retired when I was three years old -- even though I remember my parents
and grandparents talking about great radio personalities.

It's just the way life is.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old January 24th 05, 04:24 PM
kapella

On 23 Jan 2005 13:38:47 -0800, "RMOLLISE" wrote:

Dusty wrote:
He has been missed and now more so. You know that he was an amateur
astronomer? At least in the 1980's he still used his Cave 10"

Newtonian
(maybe had his limo take him out to some dark place). Now both guys

are
gone.

Not only was he an amateur astronomer, but a close friend of Carl
Sagan. He was also a professional magician and like James Randy, a
debunker of people who claimed paranormal powers. He knew every trick
in the book, and he caught every guest claiming to have special
powers, and exposed their trickery. His support for science and
rational thinking was amazing.

Kapella1
Old January 24th 05, 05:40 PM
Henry

"Martin R. Howell" wrote in message
. ..
On 23 Jan 2005 19:52:01 GMT, Rod Mollise wrote:

Very sad news. Former Tonight Show host and long-time amateur astronomer
Johnny Carson has died at 79. :-(

I told two youngish (16 or 17 year olds) tonight at work of Johhny's
passing.

One gave me a puzzled look and the other replied, "Who's he?"

Many people outside the US would probably say much the same. I thought he
was a country singer until I realised that was the late Johnny Cash.

I assume he was a chat show host (??)

Old January 24th 05, 07:44 PM
urban astronomer

Mij Adyaw wrote:
What is the meaning of "PLONK"? Is this an acronym?
Thanks,

-mij

It means that Mr. Owen concluded (perhaps a bit hastily) that "Rank
Amateur" is a troll and filtered his posts out of his newsreader.

"Jan Owen" wrote in message
"Rank Amateur" wrote in message
nk.net...
Anyone here ever see Carson observe? Attend a star party? Of

course, I
know he was an amateur astronomer because he would occasionally

mention
it
on his show.

Bill G.

So, you personally need PROOF he was an amateur astronomer???

What kind of jerk ARE you anyway???

PLONK!

--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail

address...
Latitude: 33.662
Longitude: -112.3272

Old January 24th 05, 11:38 PM
RichA

You can take Carson two ways; One, he had some terrific attributes,
but
people who remember Jack Parr have said that while Jack was kind and
considerate to his guests, Carson could be almost rude to them,
sometimes.
Also, he was a friend to Sagan until Sagan got off astronomy and went
on
an enviro-nut crusade. His preachings quickly lost him his slot as a
Carson
regular.

Old January 24th 05, 11:44 PM
Dusty