Instruction for genuine teachers

Old April 1st 18, 09:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Instruction for genuine teachers

When Copernicus first proposed the resolution of direct/retrograde motion, he did not discriminate between the faster and slower moving planets seen from Earth -

“What appears in the planets as [the alternation of] retrograde and direct motion is due, not to their motion, but to the earth’s” Copernicus

With the benefit of online imaging, we can now saw that the illusory loops of the slower moving planets like Mars contrast with the actual loop of Venus and Mercury -

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap031216.html

http://www.insideastronomy.com/uploa...0_7_128459.jpg

The world doesn't need another theoretical icon, it needs creative and productive people who can fashion the story of our solar system neighborhood within normal judgment of motions common to all, mathematicians and their script of equations might not like it but everyone else will.
Old April 2nd 18, 10:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

The theorists say that the 'inverse square law' which made a transition from Kepler's comments on orbital distances in relation to orbital periods connects to Newton's opinions on universal attraction as the greatest accomplishment of physics or indeed the founding principle of the so-called 'Natural laws' and the enlightenment.

The fact is that Kepler was deficient along with the original Sun centered astronomers in the matter of direct/retrogrades resolution -

". . . the ancient hypotheses clearly fail to account for certain important matters. For example, they do not comprehend the causes of the numbers, extents and durations of the retrogradations and of their agreeing so well with the position and mean motion of the sun. Copernicus alone gives an explanation to those things that provoke astonishment among other astronomers, thus destroying the source of astonishment, which lies in the ignorance of the causes." 1596, Mysterium Cosmographicum

The British empiricists modeled themselves on the Greek academics via the enlightenment but this is a large part of the problem or artificial reasoning if you like, the older system of reckoning which creates the calendar system (absolutely crucial for predictions) is based on the seasonal appearance of the stars rather than the Greek notion of the Sun through the constellations, the one Kepler refers to.

I don't regret that I have nobody to discuss the matter with in an intelligent and productive way, indeed I have no idea how it will ever be discussed..