Amazing Astronomical Discovery

Old March 22nd 18, 05:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Amazing Astronomical Discovery

Our Solar System now has a fourth planet!

Yes, an astronomer encountered an unexpected bright object in his field
of view, and reported the discovery without checking if it was just a
well-known planet.

Oops.
Old March 22nd 18, 06:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Quadibloc wrote in
:

Our Solar System now has a fourth planet!

Yes, an astronomer encountered an unexpected bright object in
his field of view, and reported the discovery without checking
if it was just a well-known planet.

Oops.

Since Quaddie wasn't bright enough to include a link:

http://bgr.com/2018/03/22/mars-disco...mers-telegram/

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Old March 22nd 18, 10:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill[_9_]

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:20:19 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc wrote:

Our Solar System now has a fourth planet!

Yes, an astronomer encountered an unexpected bright object in his field
of view, and reported the discovery without checking if it was just a
well-known planet.

Oops.

Wow. He'll _never_ live that one down. Poor guy.
--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Old March 22nd 18, 11:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Thursday, 22 March 2018 13:20:23 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
Our Solar System now has a fourth planet!

Yes, an astronomer encountered an unexpected bright object in his field
of view, and reported the discovery without checking if it was just a
well-known planet.

Oops.

Must be a pretty poor 80mm refractor.
Old March 22nd 18, 11:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 4:48:07 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
On Thursday, 22 March 2018 13:20:23 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
Our Solar System now has a fourth planet!

Yes, an astronomer encountered an unexpected bright object in his field
of view, and reported the discovery without checking if it was just a
well-known planet.

Oops.

Must be a pretty poor 80mm refractor.

Or it was a really crappy night, seeing-wise... or, he was using way too much power and everything was a blob... or, he had a really crappy mount and everything was bouncing all over the place... or, like most astronomy professors I've ever known, his visual observing experience is essentially zero and he doesn't really know the night sky very well (which would be my best guess in this case)...
Old March 23rd 18, 04:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 11:20:23 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
Our Solar System now has a fourth planet!

Yes, an astronomer encountered an unexpected bright object in his field
of view, and reported the discovery without checking if it was just a
well-known planet.

Oops.

Posting from my cell. Here's an URL now:

https://www.livescience.com/62094-as...vers-mars.html

in addition to the one already supplied.

John Savard
Old March 25th 18, 10:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Thursday, 22 March 2018 19:59:27 UTC-4, palsing wrote:
On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 4:48:07 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
On Thursday, 22 March 2018 13:20:23 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
Our Solar System now has a fourth planet!

Yes, an astronomer encountered an unexpected bright object in his field
of view, and reported the discovery without checking if it was just a
well-known planet.

Oops.

Must be a pretty poor 80mm refractor.

Or it was a really crappy night, seeing-wise... or, he was using way too much power and everything was a blob... or, he had a really crappy mount and everything was bouncing all over the place... or, like most astronomy professors I've ever known, his visual observing experience is essentially zero and he doesn't really know the night sky very well (which would be my best guess in this case)...

They should stick to processing numerical data.