Bands of Saturn. How many of them can be counted (really!) with 7" scope?

Old January 17th 04, 09:12 PM
ValeryD

Default Bands of Saturn. How many of them can be counted (really!) with 7" scope?

One guy reported, that 12(bands) on Saturn were counted
in a 7" APO at 175x(only!).
I can remind, that Saturn's globe typically is 17" in diameter
only. And at least 1/5 of it's globe is polar region (where no
zones seen).

If we remember, that zones are not equal in wide, then some
zones should be not wider, than 1/2"!

Should I believe to such observations? Interesting, how many
bands can be counted on Saturn globe on Hubble pictures? :-)

V.D.
Old January 17th 04, 11:12 PM
Chuck Taylor

"ValeryD" wrote in message
om...
One guy reported, that 12(bands) on Saturn were counted
in a 7" APO at 175x(only!).
I can remind, that Saturn's globe typically is 17" in diameter
only. And at least 1/5 of it's globe is polar region (where no
zones seen).

If we remember, that zones are not equal in wide, then some
zones should be not wider, than 1/2"!

Should I believe to such observations? Interesting, how many
bands can be counted on Saturn globe on Hubble pictures? :-)

In my house I use smoke detectors to detect smoke. I have a CO detector in
the garage because of the kerosene heater. But for optics, Valery is a human
BS detector. The alarm sound may be a bit like the smoke detector (which is
intended to wake you up if needed), but it works.

Yeah Valery, that report sounds a bit much. I suspect all of us have
convinced ourselves we saw something we really didn't, but some get more
carried away.

BTW, did you see http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040117.html

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

************************************

V.D.

Old January 18th 04, 06:54 PM
ValeryD

"Chuck Taylor" wrote in message ...
"ValeryD" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi Chuck,

Yes, I saw this image. And I count only 15 zones here, some of them
are
not wider, than 0.4" and much less contrasty, than Enke division!
How such zones can be seen true tiny 175mm scope at 175x???

Here are several another pearls from the same source:

#1.
"Sun

A comparison was made between the Zeiss 10mm, 6mm, and 4mm with the

XXX 10mm, 6mm, and 4mm using my friend's AP 92mm equipped with Baader
white light solar filter. The XXX provided a sharper, brighter and
contrastier images, with less light scatter around the edge of the
sun. This helped to bring out the detail better in the sunspots, as
well as in the facula."

Aha, Zeiss Abbe Orthos obsorbing so much light, that EJ can clearly
see, that
our sun looks _BRIGHTER_ in another eyepieces! LOLT!

#2.

Moon

A few days after I received the XXX eyepieces I observed the moon

with my friend using his 92mm and compared the Zeiss 10mm and Pentax
9mm with the XXX 10mm, as well as the XXX 8mm with the Pentax 9mm and
7mm, and the TV 8mm. The moon during these tests was a couple of days
past full and the sunset terminator was near Mare Crisium and Palus
Somnii. Due to the better contrast and sharpness in the XXX the
elevation between the mare and mountainous wall surrounding it seemed
higher and more 3 dimensional than in the other eyepieces. In
addition the color of the lunar features appeared whiter, brighter,
and much more natural in the XXX than we had seen before. For example
the bright rays which radiate out from the crater Proculus and border
Palus Somnii appeared whiter. Because of the very natural appearance

to the moon, we almost like we were looking at a NASA photograph, or
were orbiting the moon in a spacecraft, rather than observing it
through a telescope.

I especially likes this: "In addition the color of the lunar features
appeared whiter, brighter, and much more natural in the XXX than we
had seen before"

Aha, where do you know real colors rendering of the moon? Colors were
whiter?
And this is _MUCH more natural_? Did you ever saw the natural surface
of the moon? LOLT.

For "reviewer"'s instance, we measured Pentax' eyepieces color
transmittion
curve. No additional colorration vs light source. Measurement has +/-
0.3%
precision.

And final #3. Impressive!

Due to the better contrast and sharpness in the XXX the elevation

between the mare and mountainous wall surrounding it seemed higher
and more 3 dimensional than in the other eyepieces.
Because of the very natural appearance to the moon, we almost like we

were looking at a NASA photograph, or were orbiting the moon in a
spacecraft, rather than observing it through a telescope.

Really, after reading this adverticement BS, we should believe, that
only two
more air-glass surfaces in eyepiece (even if they were made by Zeiss)
dramatically decrease contrast and that without additional lens 3-D
effect will
disappear, colors on the moon will be much less white and unnatural,
sun will be
significantly dimmer and less contrasty etc etc etc.

These observations were done through oiled triplet objectives - they
do have
only 2 air-glass surfaces.
However, what we should guess from such brave reporters if they will
use
XXX refractors with triplet air-spaced objectives, where 4(!) extra
air-glass
surfaces vs oiled triplet objectives.
Does it mean, that looking through XXX super-ED refractors with XXX
monocentrics
in them, we will see MUCH less natural colors on the moon, much dimmer
sun, lesser details on planets, than in refractors with triplet oiled
objectives and
ZAO or Pentax orthos in them???? The same in the same with doublet
APO objectives and ZAO and Pentax orthos in them?

When I read such reviews, I know - the reviewer is sold for the
manufacturer
and his credibility is not worth of electronic "paper" they were
written on.
It is the same as speaking, that short eye-relief and significantly
narrower
FOV is a big plus in planetary and lunar observings.

LOLT.

V.D.