If all the Ice Sheets Melt?

Old May 25th 07, 05:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

Default If all the Ice Sheets Melt?

Pat Flannery wrote:

:
:
:kT wrote:
:
: You were the one who made the crackpot claim of *ZERO* emissions.
:
:Whenever you convert any form of molecular energy into mechanical
:motion, you are at the very least, going to release heat from the
:conversion process, since it's not 100% efficient.
:

What? You mean I can't break even? DAMN those laws of
thermodynamics!

--
"Adrenaline is like exercise, but without the excessive gym fees."
-- Professor Walsh, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Old May 26th 07, 01:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Len Lekx

On Fri, 25 May 2007 10:16:22 -0500, kT wrote:

I never
claimed to say anything about the entire industry.

The workers show up in electric cars do they? The cement and steel for
the plant is manufactured in electric kilns? Face it, you're a crank.

You keep broadening the argument, to make yourself right. Who's
the crank...? :-)
Old May 26th 07, 01:44 AM posted to sci.space.policy
kT

Len Lekx wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2007 10:16:22 -0500, kT wrote:

I never
claimed to say anything about the entire industry.

The workers show up in electric cars do they? The cement and steel for
the plant is manufactured in electric kilns? Face it, you're a crank.

You keep broadening the argument, to make yourself right. Who's
the crank...? :-)

You were the one who brought up *ZERO* carbon emissions, kook.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old May 26th 07, 04:25 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

/

Fred J. McCall wrote:/
What? You mean I can't break even? DAMN those laws of
thermodynamics!

Remember those laws:
1.) You can't win.
2.) You can't even break even.
3.) Things are going get worse before they get better.
4.) Who said anything about things getting better?

Love that. :-D

Pat

Old May 26th 07, 05:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

Pat Flannery wrote:

:/
:
:Fred J. McCall wrote:/
: What? You mean I can't break even? DAMN those laws of
: thermodynamics!
:
:
:Remember those laws:
:1.) You can't win.
:2.) You can't even break even.
:3.) Things are going get worse before they get better.
:4.) Who said anything about things getting better?
:
:Love that. :-D
:

I got them slightly differently, and there were only three (well, and
a zeroeth law that corresponds to that of Thermo):

0.) There is a game.
1.) You can't win.
2.) You can't break even.
3.) You cannot quit the game.

I do like the additional two you have to explain enthalpy, though...

--George Bernard Shaw
Old May 26th 07, 04:16 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.geo.geology
BradGuth

On May 23, 2:37 pm, "Landy" wrote:
"kT" wrote in message

Landy wrote:
"kT" wrote in message
Landy wrote:
"kT" wrote in message
Landy wrote:
"kT" wrote in message
rick++ wrote:

So "normal" seems to be no ice sheets at all.
Then you need to start preparing for much higher sea levels.

Are you prepared for an additional 240 feet of water?

And no fresh water reserves at all anymore?
Why would you think there would be no fresh water?
Did the dinosaurs drink seawater then?
Is this a complete meltdown of the American educational system, or
what?
What on earth are you talking about?
The Earth.

Fresh water 'reserves' - ice caps, for a technological society, idiot.

Forget the past, we are entering the Neocene now, today, and tomorrow.

You idiots are ****ing it all away. Somehow, I expect as much from apes.

Yea right. the idea of towing icebergs into the tropics was given up
years ago
because it's just way too impractical moron. It's not a resource, it's
locked up.

That's exactly where resources are supposed to be, locked up from idiots
like you, who do nothing but squander them in a fit of evil debauchery.

You're the one that called the ice caps a resource in the first place - I
was the one who found that utterly
beyond belief - hence my original comment. So what are you giving up to
prevent global warming?
Own a car do you? I don't. Buy yourself a pushbike and start practising
what your apparently
preaching.
cheers
Bill- Hide quoted text -

13 or even 130 teraWatts of energy, as contributed by all that's
humanity, is almost nothing compared to what the raw physics of what
our moon is doing to us.

Start getting used to having 256 teratonnes of h2o within our badly
polluted atmosphere, along with lots of our nifty soot, CO2, methanes
and much worse elements (including radon gas right on the deck), plus
eventually 100 meters worth of much warmer and saltier ocean depths
accommodating mostly jellyfish populated dead zones.

Notice how the Jewish mindset and of similar faith based skewed
thinking doesn't see any problems whatsoever with any of this global
warming fiasco.
-
Brad Guth
-
"whoever controls the past, controls the future" / George Orwell

Old May 26th 07, 04:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.geo.geology
BradGuth

On May 21, 3:03 pm, "Landy" wrote:
"rick++" wrote in message

ups.com... The current ice age (south pole) started around 27 million years ago.
The one before that was arounf 680 million years ago,

So what happened to the Permo-Carboniferous ice ages?
And the end-Ordovician ones?
But I agree that the "usual" state of Earth is greenhouse rather than
icehouse.
cheers
Bill

Though we have been making a bad situation worse, there's simply not
enough of atmospheric or surface pollution to cause our demise via
greenhouse. Short of setting Earth on fire, I'd give our contribution
as being worth as little as 10% of the GW problem, with perhaps 25% at
most being the case.

If you were a smart enough ET, that was out and about looking for a
spare world to live upon, or even to exploit for all it's worth, as
such would Earth be an attractive planet? (especially with it's nearby
and truly massive mascon of a moon doing it's tidal and other nasty
things)

Our Earth is at least 98.5% fluid, and perhaps only at best a tenth of
the solid is worthy of our living upon or within, although less than
1% of the solid is actually suitable for us humans in the buff. As
such, Earth doesn't seem all that ET friendly, nor hardly woth the
effort of extracting whatever unless it's salt that you're looking
for.

Of our having applied 13 teraWatts or even 130 teraWatts of energy, as
supposedly contributed by all that's humanity, is almost nothing
compared to what the raw applied physics of what our moon is doing to
us.

Start getting used to having 256 teratonnes of h2o within our badly
polluted atmosphere, along with lots of our nifty soot, CO2, methanes
and much worse elements (including lots of new and improved Rn222 as
radon gas right on the deck), plus eventually 100 meters worth of much
warmer and saltier ocean depths accommodating mostly jellyfish
populated dead zones.

Notice how the Jewish mindset and of similar faith based skewed
thinking doesn't see any problems whatsoever with any of this global
warming or spendy energy fiasco. Follow these rusemaster actions back
to the root of their mindset, and as such you'll see a most faith
based collective of what a modern day Jewish skewed mindset is all
about, not that all such faith based folks are the bad guys.
-
Brad Guth
-
"whoever controls the past, controls the future" / George Orwell

Old May 26th 07, 09:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.geo.geology
BradGuth

On May 12, 8:41 pm, "Jonathan" wrote:
How high will sea levels rise?
As much as 80 meters....gulp!

USGS Sea Level and Climatehttp://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs2-00/

Including expedited erosions and thermal expansion, make that 100
meters and you've got yourself a deal.

Our precious cache of polar and land locked ice melting away from
below our two left feet, and of otherwise in front of our two
dumbfounded eyes that have been as of lately getting a whole lot more
faith-base cross-eyed, as such is representing just the global warming
tip of any one of our badly polluted icebergs.

Unfortunately, NASIC is going to become just another big dollar-
dividing waste of our hard earned loot and limited resources, as
having only recently become too spendy for most of us to afford, but
otherwise NASIC (much like our spendy 104 acre oil-sucking theme park
in Baghdad) is representing yet another cash cow for those in charge.
We can't even keep 90% of the intelligent life on Earth (up until
lately, much of which having been smarter about surviving than us
humans) from forced extinction, and otherwise we're continually trying
to exterminate one another over the likes of natural gas, coal, oil
and yellowcake (most all of which is unavoidably loaded with elements
of Radium/Ra226 and thus having been contributing Radon/Rn222 into our
surface environment).

Where's the "Space Intelligence" within this following:

Though without question we have been making a rather bad global
warming situation worse, however there's simply not enough of
atmospheric or surface pollution to represent the majority/root cause
our demise via greenhouse. Short of setting Earth on fire, I'd give
our contribution as being worth as little as 10% of the ongoing GW
problem, with perhaps 25% at most being the case.

If you were a smart enough ET, that was out and about looking for a
spare world to live upon, or even to exploit for all it's worth, as
such would Earth be an attractive planet? (especially with it's nearby
and truly massive mascon of a moon doing it's tidal and a few other
nasty things)

Our Earth's volume (including its polluted atmosphere that's actually
becoming very corrosive) is at least 98.5% fluid, and perhaps only at
best a tenth of that which is solid is at all human worthy within the
range of what good technology can insure, although actually of less
than 1% of that solid portion is suitable for us humans in the buff,
of our surviving upon or within 0.01% of this unusually wet, salty and
otherwise extensively fluid orb. As such from the outside looking in,
Earth doesn't seem all that ET friendly, nor hardly worth the effort
of extracting whatever unless it's salt that you're looking for.

Of our existence having only recently applied 13 teraWatts or even 130
teraWatts of energy, as supposedly contributed by all that's
sustaining humanity, is almost nothing compared to what the raw
applied physics of what our unusually massive and nearby moon is doing
to us.

Unless we can eventually relocate our moon out to Earth's L1, start
getting used to having 256 teratonnes of h2o within our badly polluted
atmosphere, along with lots of our nifty soot, CO2, methanes and much
worse elements (including lots of new and improved Rn222 as radon gas
right on the deck), plus eventually 100 meters worth of much warmer
and saltier ocean depths accommodating mostly jellyfish populated dead
zones.

Notice how the Jewish mindset and of similar faith based skewed
thinking doesn't see any problems whatsoever with any of this global
warming or spendy energy fiasco that's becoming way too bloody.
Follow these rusemaster actions back to the root of their mindset, and
as such you'll see a mostly faith-based borg like collective of what a
modern day Jewish skewed mindset is all about, not that all such faith
based folks are the bad guys, just the ones in charge of having been
pulling all those other puppet strings.

Just like we didn't need DHS, we simply don't need any stinking NASIC,
instead what we need is a good retroactive butt kicking load of common
sense about accomplishing the long-term salvation of our badly failing
environment, and otherwise a focus upon obtainable goals that are
mostly terrestrial and not as such going to get folks bankrupt, dead,
or wishing they were. Folks having lost all hope and thereby
perceiving they have little if anything further to lose, are not going
to be unlike Usama bin Laden.
-
Brad Guth
-
"whoever controls the past, controls the future" / George Orwell

Old June 13th 07, 12:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.geo.geology
Aidan Karley[_2_]

In article , Pat Flannery wrote:
Why would you think there would be no fresh water?
Did the dinosaurs drink seawater then?

They could excrete excess salt from their bodies at the base of their eyes.
Ever wonder why tears taste so salty?
That's an revolutionary holdover from that ability.

I've lost the root of this thread (been away for a few weeks), but ...

I'm certain that production of hyper-saline tears as a method of salt-control
has been demonstrated in modern turtles, and by skeletal analogy for turtles
back to (approximately) the Triassic. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was a
machinery that other archaic "archosaurs" had, including the early dinosaurs.
BUT I haven't seen any evidence to support this, and I'd have expected the
commentary around the turtle-tear-glands article to have mentioned such
analogies.
If you're interested, I'm pretty sure I can dig out some references that you
can follow up through the references and or citation tracing.

--
Aidan Karley, FGS,
Aberdeen, Scotland