The US government shutdown is almost certainly delaying SpaceX'scrucial launch - MIT Technology Review

Old January 14th 19, 08:00 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default The US government shutdown is almost certainly delaying SpaceX's crucial launch - MIT Technology Review

William Elliot wrote on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 20:55:57
-0800:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019, Fred J. McCall wrote:

https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

Because nobody wants to work for FREE.

And nobody is, since we always pay them up after the 'shutdown' is
over.

It's costing them money to work for nothing.

Except they're not working for nothing. They're working for their
regular pay, which they eventually receive.

Fees for late rent payment.
Fines for cashing CD's early.
Costs of loans to cover loss of paycheck.

Most of that is fantasy. If it's a hardship, do what other workers do
and quit and find another job.

The real 'crime' here is all the folks who are NOT working getting
retroactive pay for sitting at home.

And all those government things sitting in congress and
White House being paid big for doing nothing worthwhile.

Except they're funded by law.

--
"It's always different. It's always complex. But at some point,
somebody has to draw the line. And that somebody is always me....
Old January 14th 19, 01:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

William Elliot wrote on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 20:55:57
-0800:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019, Fred J. McCall wrote:

https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

Because nobody wants to work for FREE.

And nobody is, since we always pay them up after the 'shutdown' is
over.

It's costing them money to work for nothing.

Except they're not working for nothing. They're working for their
regular pay, which they eventually receive.

That wasn't really the point, but o.k.

Fees for late rent payment.
Fines for cashing CD's early.
Costs of loans to cover loss of paycheck.

Most of that is fantasy.

No Fred, it's not a fantasy. There are real consequences to these
employees. Their landlords don't care, they want their money. Their
student loan servicers don't care, they want their money. Their
electric company doesn't care, they want their money. Their phone
company doesn't care, they want their money. The grocery store doesn't
care, they want their money.

If it's a hardship, do what other workers do
and quit and find another job.

Ah yes, the "right to work" mentality which says the employee can always
just find another job. If only it were that easy for everyone (it's
not).

The real 'crime' here is all the folks who are NOT working getting
retroactive pay for sitting at home.

And all those government things sitting in congress and
White House being paid big for doing nothing worthwhile.

Except they're funded by law.

Yes they are. Doesn't make it "right".

Jeff
Old January 14th 19, 06:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Jeff Findley wrote on Mon, 14 Jan 2019
07:14:02 -0500:

In article ,
says...

William Elliot wrote on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 20:55:57
-0800:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019, Fred J. McCall wrote:

https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

Because nobody wants to work for FREE.

And nobody is, since we always pay them up after the 'shutdown' is
over.

It's costing them money to work for nothing.

Except they're not working for nothing. They're working for their
regular pay, which they eventually receive.

That wasn't really the point, but o.k.

No, the 'point' is emotional "oh woe is them" appeals. Since so far
they've missed a whopping ONE paycheck by something like half a week,
it's a bit early for emotional appeals with misery stories. Get back
to me in a month or two.

Fees for late rent payment.
Fines for cashing CD's early.
Costs of loans to cover loss of paycheck.

Most of that is fantasy.

No Fred, it's not a fantasy.

Yes Jeff, most of it is a fantasy.

There are real consequences to these
employees. Their landlords don't care, they want their money.

As we get further into these things landlords will negotiate. They
know as well as we do that the money will eventually be forthcoming.
Unless there's a housing shortage they'll make deals. Given the
number of federal employees in the area, a landlord would have to be
insane to start eviction proceedings, especially if the tenant has
informed them of the situation. And even if they do, I'm pretty sure
it takes 60 days from when they file for eviction for it to actually
happen.

Their
student loan servicers don't care, they want their money.

What percentage of federal employees still have student loans
outstanding? Don't be silly.

Their
electric company doesn't care, they want their money. Their phone
company doesn't care, they want their money. The grocery store doesn't
care, they want their money.

Those can be actual problems. But most electric companies won't
disconnect for 60 days. Phone companies are similar. The biggest
problem is groceries. Most people use credit cards. Those won't come
due for a month and even then minimum payments are small (and that's
where people start to accrue additional interest charges).

Like I said, get back to me in a month or two.

If it's a hardship, do what other workers do
and quit and find another job.

Ah yes, the "right to work" mentality which says the employee can always
just find another job. If only it were that easy for everyone (it's
not).

They can (and do) file for unemployment to help them meet those bills
that can't be kicked down the road. The folks in a crack here are
those who are working without pay, since they're not eligible for
unemployment.

The real 'crime' here is all the folks who are NOT working getting
retroactive pay for sitting at home.

And all those government things sitting in congress and
White House being paid big for doing nothing worthwhile.

Except they're funded by law.

Yes they are. Doesn't make it "right".

Oh, I see. We're talking fantasy rather than facts. Yes, all these
people who have missed a single paycheck are starving on the streets.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old January 14th 19, 08:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Scott Kozel

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 12:47:42 PM UTC-5, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Jeff Findley wrote on Mon, 14 Jan 2019
says...
William Elliot wrote on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 20:55:57
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019, Fred J. McCall wrote:

The real 'crime' here is all the folks who are NOT working getting
retroactive pay for sitting at home.

And all those government things sitting in congress and
White House being paid big for doing nothing worthwhile.

Except they're funded by law.

Yes they are. Doesn't make it "right".

Oh, I see. We're talking fantasy rather than facts. Yes, all these
people who have missed a single paycheck are starving on the streets.

… and any moment now will run amok with a high-powered "assault rifle"!
Old January 15th 19, 01:07 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_3_]

On 14/01/2019 12:15 pm, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

"William Elliot" wrote in message
x.com...
https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

Because nobody wants to work for FREE.

Federal workers who are not deemed "essential" can't work during a
government shutdown by law. They can't work even if they want to.
They're not allowed to "donate their time". They'll get in big trouble
if they do.

I've heard from some federal workers that they got in trouble for
checking their emails (likely sending replies too). Their boss texted
them on their personal phones to "knock it off".

Jeff

Sounds to me like the boss was performing a work function when he or she
did that.

Sylvia.
Old January 15th 19, 05:03 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Scott Kozel wrote on Mon, 14 Jan 2019 11:09:38
-0800 (PST):

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 12:47:42 PM UTC-5, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Jeff Findley wrote on Mon, 14 Jan 2019
says...
William Elliot wrote on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 20:55:57
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019, Fred J. McCall wrote:

The real 'crime' here is all the folks who are NOT working getting
retroactive pay for sitting at home.

And all those government things sitting in congress and
White House being paid big for doing nothing worthwhile.

Except they're funded by law.

Yes they are. Doesn't make it "right".

Oh, I see. We're talking fantasy rather than facts. Yes, all these
people who have missed a single paycheck are starving on the streets.

… and any moment now will run amok with a high-powered "assault rifle"!

That's "assault weapon". An assault rifle is a real and well defined
thing that civilians don't generally have.

--
"Then up spoke brave Horatius the captain of the gate,
to every man upon this earth, death comest soon or late,
Old January 15th 19, 05:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Sylvia Else wrote on Tue, 15 Jan 2019 11:07:36
+1100:

On 14/01/2019 12:15 pm, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

"William Elliot" wrote in message
x.com...
https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

Because nobody wants to work for FREE.

Federal workers who are not deemed "essential" can't work during a
government shutdown by law. They can't work even if they want to.
They're not allowed to "donate their time". They'll get in big trouble
if they do.

I've heard from some federal workers that they got in trouble for
checking their emails (likely sending replies too). Their boss texted
them on their personal phones to "knock it off".

Sounds to me like the boss was performing a work function when he or she
did that.

The boss is probably 'essential personnel' and required to work
without pay.

--
"Rule Number One for Slayers - Don't die."
-- Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
Old January 15th 19, 05:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Scott Kozel

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 11:03:07 PM UTC-5, Fred J. McCall wrote:
[...]

The pinko liberals want to call even the AR-15 an "assault rifle".
Old January 15th 19, 10:30 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Scott Kozel wrote on Mon, 14 Jan 2019 20:38:24
-0800 (PST):

[...]

Nope. They want to call it an 'assault weapon' and ban it on that
basis. And for those who DO call it an "assault rifle", well, you can
call a tail a leg but that doesn't suddenly create 5-legged dogs.

-- Thomas Jefferson