National Review blows its cork over NASA's Bolden

Old July 9th 10, 01:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_1082_]

Default National Review blows its cork over NASA's Bolden

Brian Thorn wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:28:12 -0800, Pat Flannery
wrote:

It's highly unlikely the ISS will ever repay even a small part of its
development, construction, and resupply costs in any sort of a
tangible economic way at any point in the future.

If the Salmonella vaccine pans out, it might already have.
Salmonellosis kills an estimated 3 million people a year, mostly in
the third world (142,000 were sickened in the US last year and 30
died).

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/0...a-vaccine.html

We have ten years or more of Space Station research ahead of us.
Reports of ISS's failure to earn its keep are greatly exaggerated.

Interesting had not heard about this. Thanks for sharing. I was aware
there was a lot of research being done, I just had not been paying close
attention to exactly what though.

Brian

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old July 9th 10, 07:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 7/9/2010 4:45 AM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

If the Salmonella vaccine pans out, it might already have.
Salmonellosis kills an estimated 3 million people a year, mostly in
the third world (142,000 were sickened in the US last year and 30
died).

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/0...a-vaccine.html

We have ten years or more of Space Station research ahead of us.
Reports of ISS's failure to earn its keep are greatly exaggerated.

Interesting had not heard about this. Thanks for sharing. I was aware
there was a lot of research being done, I just had not been paying close
attention to exactly what though.

Although human testing of that vaccine was possibly going to start in
2010 according to the press releases, there has been no new info on it
since last September.
The company that did this research - Astrogenetix - now says they are
working on a MRSA vaccine*, and you don't hear about the Salmonella cure
anymo
http://www.astrogenetix.com/news-and-events
Read between the lines about what they are about:
http://www.astrogenetix.com/about-us
....and what they are about is getting government funding to do
experiments in space that make it look like worthwhile medical research
is being done by NASA.
They got started as a subsidiary of Astrotech Corporation, itself the
new name for Spacehab Inc.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrotech_Corporation
(That in turn being a new name for Johnson Engineering.)
Nice work if you can get it, but I wouldn't expect to see much coming
out of the company for all the taxpayer dollars that go into it.
In interesting corporate news, one of their big boys just jumped ship on
them:
http://www.marke****ch.com/story/gen...ors-2010-06-17

* I expect the Common Cold vaccine to follow next year, followed by the
vaccine for the Boogie-Woogie Flu in 2012, and the vaccine against death
in 2013. :-D

Pat

Old July 9th 10, 08:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 7/9/2010 10:51 AM, Pat Flannery wrote:

In interesting corporate news, one of their big boys just jumped ship on
them:
http://www.marke****ch.com/story/gen...ors-2010-06-17

The big boy in question:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_W._Lord
Mighty impressive climb there; from second lieutenant in 1968 to
four-star general in 2002, especially given that he never attended the
Air Force Academy.
And if that name rings a bell in regards to the last administration:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/business/18space.html

'The Air Force believes "we must establish and maintain space
superiority," Gen. Lance Lord, who leads the Air Force Space Command,
told Congress recently. "Simply put, it's the American way of fighting."
Air Force doctrine defines space superiority as "freedom to attack as
well as freedom from attack" in space.'

Jeeze, I wish we had one of them Doomsday Machines! ;-)

Pat
Old July 10th 10, 05:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:51:33 -0800, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Interesting had not heard about this. Thanks for sharing. I was aware
there was a lot of research being done, I just had not been paying close
attention to exactly what though.

Although human testing of that vaccine was possibly going to start in
2010 according to the press releases, there has been no new info on it
since last September.

That's not too surprising. If testing was to begin in 2010, I wouldn't
expect to hear results until at least 2011, maybe 2012. We usually
see press releases from a company announcing product testing and the
like, and then nothing, sometimes for years, while that testing
progresses and goes to the FDA for approval.

Brian
Old July 10th 10, 11:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 7/10/2010 8:44 AM, Brian Thorn wrote:

That's not too surprising. If testing was to begin in 2010, I wouldn't
expect to hear results until at least 2011, maybe 2012. We usually
see press releases from a company announcing product testing and the
like, and then nothing, sometimes for years, while that testing
progresses and goes to the FDA for approval.

In this case though they put in for permission to do human testing last
year...and you never heard if they got approval to do it.
Which makes me suspect they never got the OK to do it, as if they had
they would have announced it, because it certainly would have had a
positive effect on their stock prices.
Astrogenetix doesn't seem to be separately traded from its parent
company Astrotech, but if you think this is going to be a big success,
you may want to buy some Astrotech stock - which at the moment will set
you back a whopping $1.33* per sha
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=ASTC...=on&z=m&q=l&c=
This is a very small company BTW, having only 76 full-time employees.
And that's the whole of Astrotech; not just the Astrogenetix subdivision.

*In the last year it got down to $.98 at one point.

Pat