Big manned Mars rover concept.

Old June 5th 08, 06:59 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Big manned Mars rover concept.

I'd put larger diameter wheels on it, but it's a interesting concept:
http://dvice.com/archives/2008/06/mo...&cat=undefined

Pat
Old June 5th 08, 07:56 AM posted to sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_4_]

Pat Flannery wrote in
news:vcSdnW_jQdF0HdrVnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@northdakotat elephone:

I'd put larger diameter wheels on it, but it's a interesting concept:
http://dvice.com/archives/2008/06/mo...&cat=undefined

I can imagine the astronaut office collectively busting their
guts laughing at this ridiculous concept. It's another triumph
of style over function, especially internally.

--Damon

Old June 5th 08, 01:19 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:vcSdnW_jQdF0HdrVnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
I'd put larger diameter wheels on it, but it's a interesting concept:
http://dvice.com/archives/2008/06/mo...&cat=undefined

The first thing to come up on this page, was the upper left corner which
reads "Powered by SciFi". Doesn't bode well.

Quote from the article:

Anthony Sims, a student at the Art Center College of Design,
conceptualized the Moonstream rover after forms found in nature,
such as turtles and whales, and modeled it after working NASA
designs.

It's only an artist's concept!

Come to think of it, I should post a link to this article on
www.classic-space.com, the Space Lego fan page. They guys over there will
eat this up... Done.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old June 6th 08, 11:23 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Jun 4, 10:59 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
I'd put larger diameter wheels on it, but it's a interesting concept:http://dvice.com/archives/2008/06/mo...&cat=undefined

Pat

I'd put the NASA meatball on it, as the worm has been not only retired
by NASA, but they also prohibited any further use of it.
Old June 6th 08, 04:36 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

M wrote:
I'd put the NASA meatball on it, as the worm has been not only retired
by NASA, but they also prohibited any further use of it.

It was revealed today that the designer has filed a court brief against
a Mr. Danial Goldin for stalking behavior.
When asked to comment, Mr. Goldin could only mumble "kill worm... worm
must die..." ;-)

Pat
Old June 6th 08, 06:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 10:36:42 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

When asked to comment, Mr. Goldin could only mumble "kill worm... worm
must die..." ;-)

....But if you exterminate Shai-Hulud, the Spice will no longer flow,
thus putting an end to space travel!

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old June 6th 08, 10:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Jun 5, 12:59 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
I'd put larger diameter wheels on it, but it's a interesting concept:http://dvice.com/archives/2008/06/mo...&cat=undefined

Pat

Heh. That's the one that NASA Watch was fawning over the other day.

Let me pass on the comments.

---

"That's an artists concept with little basis in reality. How do
today's virtual napkin drawings find their way onto the front page of
NASA Watch? This is no more real than a sketch of a concept car or a
model used in a "B" Hollywood space move.

A real lunar rover have engineers designing the whole thing, so form
will follow function."

Posted by: Jeff Findley at June 5, 2008 9:15 AM "

---

Editor's note: Gee Jeff, I guess the fact that this young student
showed an interest in designing vehicles for NASA - as opposed to the
traditional route i.e. Detroit or NASCAR - is lost on you. Could it be
that this young person sees a future in space? The article was
explicit in its description of what this was.

Besides, why do rovers have to look like they were designed on the
outside - as well as on the inside - by engineers any way?

---

And the comment that didn't make it past the NASA Watch censors was

"Gee, Keith. Jeff makes a valid point. I know second graders who are
interested in designing rockets for NASA. Perhaps you'll feature their
sketches too?

As to why they should look like they were designed by engineers is
beside the point. If I were going to risk my rear in exploring the
Moon, I would not be too concerned about finding a stylish rover.
Having one that looked like it was designed by someone who had a clue
about what it was supposed to do would have some attraction."

NASA Watch ... gotta love it. Let's hope it gets back to
hyperventilating about Gen-Y.

Old June 10th 08, 02:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
jonathan[_3_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:vcSdnW_jQdF0HdrVnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
I'd put larger diameter wheels on it, but it's a interesting concept:
http://dvice.com/archives/2008/06/mo...&cat=undefined

Robots are for exploring the solar system.

Manned flights are for ...exploiting...the solar system.

Let's be clear on this point. The fact that humans can
be so much more capable than robots works...against
using humans for exploring. As the most effective
space assets, from a moral point of view, must be
applied to the greatest needs.

Which are tangible improvements in the human condition.

To 'fritter away' our best and most expensive space assets
on a 'Golden Safari' is nothing less than a crime against
humanity. The search for life elsewhere is pure research.
But it's really philosophical research, or even religious, and
as such is a luxury.

Like John McCain said just the other day, he's intrigued
by the notion of men on Mars, who isn't, but according
to him NASA must do a better job of justifying the Vision.

We've been through all the arguments pro and con here
over the years. Putting men back on the moon and on
to mars....loses the debate....every time. So badly losing
the Administrator finally resorted to "Faith" that going
there will somehow all work out.

That is the weakest possible justification for our nation's
..../Largest Scientific Project/....

....Faith!!!

You gotta be kidding me!

I can only conclude that the search for life in the solar system
has evolved into some sort of religious quest for the scientific
atheists of the world. Science and religion are becoming harder
to tell apart, with 'Faith' becoming their common mantra.

I'm not saying that is a bad thing, in fact I think just the opposite.
But we MUST keep our eyes on the ball.

This planet needs a new and clean energy source...and fast.

Pat