Light pollution

Old May 12th 05, 08:33 PM
Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Default Light pollution

Hi

I have just come back from a 3 day 2000 mile drive in Scotland checking out
all 250+ speed cameras (part of my job)

One thing I tried to do was to make sure I was in the highlands at night.
Dalwhinnie was my chosen place to stop at just after 1am and then to sit and
enjoy the night sky and a well earned rest. It was as dark as it was going
to get with slight moon.

The first time I have spent for a long time in a truly dark location and I
have to say it was very easy to get lost in the wonders of the sky. I just
wish I had space and time to take my telescope on this trip.

Looks like I will have to make a winter trip before the snows arrive and
take a few days out to play. I also took a 60 second exposure and a 120
second exposure on the camera to see if there was any light polution that
showed, not a sign of it... right up to 240 second when only the moon
started to effect the image.

Is there any star parties in that part of the world any one knows about, I
noticed a few very isolated B&B close to where I stopped.

Steve

--
The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
The UK Weather Guide" @ www.ukstorms.com

Old May 12th 05, 10:46 PM
Martin

"Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote in message
[...]

Can I ask why you didn't take a chainsaw with you? :-)

Martin

Old May 12th 05, 11:14 PM
Roger Smith

"Martin" wrote in message

[...]

I would phrase your question as follows:

"Can I ask whether you took a chainsaw with you?"

The troubles is that he might have done, to remove branches obscuring the
line of sight of the wretched things he was checking.
:-)
Regards, Roger

Old May 13th 05, 08:35 AM

"Roger Smith" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message

[...]

A chainsaw would never do the job, a good metal disk cutter would do it
quicker and better. I was checking the locations and types for the company I
work for which makes a device that warns you about the presence of a camera.
:-)
Steve

Old May 13th 05, 09:06 AM

Nah. I think a chainsaw is the right implement.
Then they wouldn't have a leg to stand on when they were hauled up in
court for speeding.
And hopefully tortured for deliberately seeking a way to exceed local
speed limits by devious means.
What a shame they are bringing out elapsed-time cameras. Isn't it? :-)

But I digress..........my garden is beginning to feel like observing
from the bottom of a well.
Trees on all sides. Not all of them my own! Any thoughts on "cherry
pickers" as observing platforms?
Equatorial asking too much?

Chris.B

Old May 13th 05, 09:14 AM
Martin Brown

Roger Smith wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

"Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote in message

I have just come back from a 3 day 2000 mile drive in Scotland checking
out all 250+ speed cameras (part of my job)

The first time I have spent for a long time in a truly dark location and
I have to say it was very easy to get lost in the wonders of the sky. I
just wish I had space and time to take my telescope on this trip.

Is there any star parties in that part of the world any one knows about,
I noticed a few very isolated B&B close to where I stopped.

A truly dark sky is remarkable for the number of stars. The keep getting
brighter for the first hour that you are outside as your eyes adjust.

Can I ask why you didn't take a chainsaw with you? :-)

Martin

I would phrase your question as follows:

"Can I ask whether you took a chainsaw with you?"

The troubles is that he might have done, to remove branches obscuring the
line of sight of the wretched things he was checking.
:-)

Surely he would need an angle grinder ?
Or do they mount Gatsos on wooden poles in the highlands?

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 13th 05, 10:15 AM
Tim Hicks

Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk wrote:
... checking out
all 250+ speed cameras...

Anyone caught doing that speed deserves what's coming to them IMO!

Is there any star parties in that part of the world any one knows about, I
noticed a few very isolated B&B close to where I stopped.

Not sure of it's proximity to Dalwhinnie, but this place seems like the
kind of thing that might suit;
http://www.gallowayastro.com/
I've never stayed there myself though, so I can't vouch for them.

HTH

Tim
Old May 13th 05, 02:48 PM
M Holmes

Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk wrote:
Hi

I have just come back from a 3 day 2000 mile drive in Scotland checking out
all 250+ speed cameras (part of my job)

One thing I tried to do was to make sure I was in the highlands at night.
Dalwhinnie was my chosen place to stop at just after 1am and then to sit and
enjoy the night sky and a well earned rest. It was as dark as it was going
to get with slight moon.

The first time I have spent for a long time in a truly dark location and I
have to say it was very easy to get lost in the wonders of the sky. I just
wish I had space and time to take my telescope on this trip.

We have a syndicate renting a cottage in the winter just a few miles
north of there. I take the scope every weekend we go there, but rarely
get use out of it due to cloud.

I've always wanted to see an aurora from there. The locals say they can
be very spectacular. No luck as yet though...

FoFP

Old May 13th 05, 08:25 PM
Martin

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Roger Smith wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

[...]

Most of the ones I've seen despatched seem to have suffered the old Soweto
neck tie fate.

Martin

Old May 14th 05, 07:36 AM
Charles Gilman

It's just over 2 degrees south of Dalwhinnie - about the same as London
relative to Grimsby!