Q. If you're next to a mountain, and a weight on a pendulum is slightly attracted to the mountain ? ? Wait a minute . . .

Old August 12th 03, 04:44 PM
Jim Jones

Default Q. If you're next to a mountain, and a weight on a pendulum is slightly attracted to the mountain ? ? Wait a minute . . .

Hi,

I camre across a very fundamental book on space.
I really enjoy illustrated, fundamental books.

But wait a minute. It said in one caption that if you had a pendulum
on a string, and standing next to a mountain, that the weight on the
string would be shown slightly off center, in favor of the mountain's
presence.

OK, then I have to ask, What about the leveling device you would use
to prove a straight verticle line. If the earth's gravity is how
carpenters' levels work, why then wouldn't the mass of the mountain
throw off the level in the same proportion ?

Your comments, please,
Thanks,
Jim
Old August 13th 03, 01:43 AM
Carl Smethurst

"Jim Jones" wrote in message
Hi,

I camre across a very fundamental book on space.
I really enjoy illustrated, fundamental books.

But wait a minute. It said in one caption that if you had a pendulum
on a string, and standing next to a mountain, that the weight on the
string would be shown slightly off center, in favor of the mountain's
presence.

OK, then I have to ask, What about the leveling device you would use
to prove a straight verticle line. If the earth's gravity is how
carpenters' levels work, why then wouldn't the mass of the mountain
throw off the level in the same proportion ?

Your comments, please,
Thanks,
Jim

Of course a plumbline would be deflected, but only in proportion to the
relative mass of the mountain versus that of earth (ie: a tiny and - for the
purposes of building - insignificant, amount).

Old August 13th 03, 04:53 PM
Benoit Morrissette

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:44:21 +0100, Jim Jones
wrote:

Hi,

I camre across a very fundamental book on space.
I really enjoy illustrated, fundamental books.

But wait a minute. It said in one caption that if you had a pendulum
on a string, and standing next to a mountain, that the weight on the
string would be shown slightly off center, in favor of the mountain's
presence.

OK, then I have to ask, What about the leveling device you would use
to prove a straight verticle line. If the earth's gravity is how
carpenters' levels work, why then wouldn't the mass of the mountain
throw off the level in the same proportion ?

Your comments, please,
Thanks,
Jim

By a very very very small amount. Take a look at
http://www.fourmilab.to/gravitation/foobar/
Old August 13th 03, 05:10 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Jim What you said proves gravity is created by the attraction of
particles. However the force of gravity by a mountain is very small so a
pendulum would feel the effect but never show it to you using a
pendulum(as pointed out in another post.) We always have to keep in mind
that a very weak magnet(like on you refrigerator door can lift a nail
lying on the earth's surface. Jim just think of how big the
earth is compared to that very tiny magnet Gravity can be the weakest
force,and the strongest force. Bert.