How do you pronounce Pleiades?

Old March 3rd 16, 10:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default How do you pronounce Pleiades?

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 2:58:04 PM UTC-5, palsing wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 4:15:19 AM UTC-8, wsne... wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 6:51:12 AM UTC-5, Mike Collins wrote:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...glish/pleiades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJa5sok-TlU

The Greeks and Americans are right, the Oxford Dictionary wrong.

Very presumptuous of you, it seems to me.

Not at all. Someone from the US was asking how to pronounce "Pleiades" and I gave the correct answer.

It would be presumptuous of a Brit to assume that his pronunciation was correct.

Old March 3rd 16, 05:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 2:00:30 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 2:58:04 PM UTC-5, palsing wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 4:15:19 AM UTC-8, wsne... wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 6:51:12 AM UTC-5, Mike Collins wrote:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...glish/pleiades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJa5sok-TlU

The Greeks and Americans are right, the Oxford Dictionary wrong.

Very presumptuous of you, it seems to me.

Not at all. Someone from the US was asking how to pronounce "Pleiades" and I gave the correct answer.

It would be presumptuous of a Brit to assume that his pronunciation was correct.

A Brit has as much right to assume his pronunciation is correct as you do, each of your arguments is just as valid as the other's.

Like I said, it is unlikely that anyone really knows just how the ancient Greeks actually pronounced this word, so the correct pronunciation is legitimately open to interpretation, and always will be.

I suspect that a modern Greek's pronunciation would be closest... but in the end it makes no difference whatsoever, none at all!
Old March 4th 16, 12:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Davoud:
So how do you pronounce Betelgeuse? Yed al-Jawz, where "Jawz" rhymes
with "cows."

Bill:
Enjoyed your comments.
Thank you.

Glad you enjoyed. Please note that this is /not/ a recommendation that
you go around pronouncing Betelgeuse as Yed al-Jawz!

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old March 4th 16, 02:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 4:18:55 PM UTC-8, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
So how do you pronounce Betelgeuse? Yed al-Jawz, where "Jawz" rhymes
with "cows."

Bill:
Enjoyed your comments.
Thank you.

Glad you enjoyed. Please note that this is /not/ a recommendation that
you go around pronouncing Betelgeuse as Yed al-Jawz!

Why not? I think it's great! It is as valid as any other name, for reasons already detailed. Plus, the story you told is a good one, and perfectly plausable.

In any case I've already added this name to my "Big List" of star names, meanings and suggested pronunciations, which is one of my never-ending cloudy-nights projects.

\Paul A
Old March 4th 16, 02:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 6:19:01 PM UTC-8, palsing wrote:
On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 4:18:55 PM UTC-8, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
So how do you pronounce Betelgeuse? Yed al-Jawz, where "Jawz" rhymes
with "cows."

Bill:
Enjoyed your comments.
Thank you.

Glad you enjoyed. Please note that this is /not/ a recommendation that
you go around pronouncing Betelgeuse as Yed al-Jawz!

Why not? I think it's great! It is as valid as any other name, for reasons already detailed. Plus, the story you told is a good one, and perfectly plausable.

In any case I've already added this name to my "Big List" of star names, meanings and suggested pronunciations, which is one of my never-ending cloudy-nights projects.

\Paul A

By the way, here are the names I have gather for Alpha Orionis over the years, from various sources...

BETELGUESE, Al Mankib, Betelguex, Betelgeuze, Beteiguex, Bed Elgueze, Beit Algueze, Bet El‑geuze, Beldengenze, Bectelgeuze, Bedalgeuze, Al Manib, Al Dhirā,
Al Yad al Yamnā, Ied Algeuze, Almerzamo nnagied, Besn, Klaria, , Al-Jazwa,
Yed al-Jawz

A lot of these names came from here...

http://www.constellationsofwords.com...etelgeuse.html
Old March 4th 16, 10:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 2:58:04 PM UTC-5, palsing wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 4:15:19 AM UTC-8, wsne... wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 6:51:12 AM UTC-5, Mike Collins wrote:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...glish/pleiades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJa5sok-TlU

The Greeks and Americans are right, the Oxford Dictionary wrong.

Very presumptuous of you, it seems to me.

Not at all. Someone from the US was asking how to pronounce "Pleiades"
and I gave the correct answer.

It would be presumptuous of a Brit to assume that his pronunciation was correct.

Your reading comprehension is as bad as your interpretation of news.
I posted:

However since it has been resurrected it's Ply a dees rhyming with Hyades
in UK English.

I don't presume to tell anybody how to pronounce words. Language is for
communication not a frozen matrix.

Old March 4th 16, 12:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 12:43:46 PM UTC-5, palsing wrote:

A Brit has as much right to assume his pronunciation is correct as you do, each of your arguments is just as valid as the other's.

Unfortunately for you, your argument and the Brit in question, the OP was CLEARLY concerned with the pronunciation of "Pleiades" in Texas, a state which is in the US, not in the UK. The correct and appropriate pronunciation had already been given, and the Brit's post was irrelevant, off-topic and incorrect.

Get it?

Old March 4th 16, 12:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:
On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 12:43:46 PM UTC-5, palsing wrote:

A Brit has as much right to assume his pronunciation is correct as you
do, each of your arguments is just as valid as the other's.

Unfortunately for you, your argument and the Brit in question, the OP was
CLEARLY concerned with the pronunciation of "Pleiades" in Texas, a state
which is in the US, not in the UK. The correct and appropriate
pronunciation had already been given, and the Brit's post was irrelevant,
off-topic and incorrect.

Get it?

Are you from Texas, do you have a Texan accent? Had the pronunciation
changed in the couple of decades since the original post?

Old March 4th 16, 12:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 5:17:17 AM UTC-5, Mike Collins wrote:
wsnell01 wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 2:58:04 PM UTC-5, palsing wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 4:15:19 AM UTC-8, wsne... wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 6:51:12 AM UTC-5, Mike Collins wrote:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...glish/pleiades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJa5sok-TlU

The Greeks and Americans are right, the Oxford Dictionary wrong.

Very presumptuous of you, it seems to me.

Not at all. Someone from the US was asking how to pronounce "Pleiades"
and I gave the correct answer.

It would be presumptuous of a Brit to assume that his pronunciation was correct.

Your reading comprehension is as bad as your interpretation of news.
I posted:

However since it has been resurrected it's Ply a dees rhyming with Hyades
in UK English.

The people of Texas, and the US in general, pronounce the word differently than you do.

I don't presume to tell anybody how to pronounce words.

Then why did you?

I didn't. I told you how we pronounce it. Improve your comprehension
skills.