Anyone else going to set up on the side walk during halloweeen?

Old October 30th 03, 12:43 PM
Glenn Mulno

Default Anyone else going to set up on the side walk during halloweeen?

I figured it would be fun to setup the scope out front for the trick or
treaters to look through the scope. In my light polluted area - the moon
will be the best (most appreciated) target. Mars will be in a good position
but I suspect the smaller kids wont appreciate it as much.

Just curious if others are planning to set up.

--
Glenn

Old October 30th 03, 12:51 PM
Patrick Carr

Yep, we're going to put three scopes out for the trick-or-treaters. We'll
also have a card for information on our club and some candy, so we're hoping
for a good showing.

I'm going to stick to the moon, Mars, the E.T. Cluster asterism and possibly
M13, but we'll see how many show up and how light polluted it is.

Have a great event!

Patrick C. Carr
Coordinator
Arkansas Dark-Sky Preservation Society
www.christian-astronomy.org/adpsframeset.html

President
CASE (The Christian Association of Stellar Explorers)
www.christian-astronomy.org

Regional Representative
Mid States Region of the Astronomical League
www.msral.org

Old October 30th 03, 03:17 PM
mark d. doiron

"Patrick Carr" wrote in message

some candy

saa--

you betcha! i've already bought the starbursts, milky ways, orbits and
starbrights. unfortunately, couldn't find mars bars anywhere this year.
:-(

clear, dark skies--

mark d.

Old October 30th 03, 03:19 PM
Tom Carrico

Absolutely! I have been doing this for 9 years and have many returning
viewers. It always amazes me how many people, adults and children, have
never looked through a telescope.

--
Tom Carrico
http://www.ccdargo.com

Old October 30th 03, 03:25 PM
Starlord

I had planed to, but the weather might have another idea planned for me.
Yesterday I couldn;t even go out of my trailer very long because of the smoke
that was blowing in and we had high winds last night.

All I can do is roll the dice and hope they don't come up snake eyes.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"Glenn Mulno" wrote in message
I figured it would be fun to setup the scope out front for the trick or
treaters to look through the scope. In my light polluted area - the moon
will be the best (most appreciated) target. Mars will be in a good position
but I suspect the smaller kids wont appreciate it as much.

Just curious if others are planning to set up.

--
Glenn

---

Old October 30th 03, 07:11 PM
mjd

I'm not letting any of the sticky fingered little rug rats near my
Pentaxs and Naglers. Public star parties yes, choclate, licorice and
my eyepieces, no.

mjd

Old November 1st 03, 08:30 AM
David Nakamoto

I was going to, but then the rains came. Very good for our local fire
situation, but bad for Astronomy. sigh.

Hope this clears up for eclipse day.
If fans don't want to come out to the park,
nobody's going to stop them.
--- Yogi Berra

Old November 1st 03, 02:13 PM
Hogrider

"Glenn Mulno" wrote in message ...
I figured it would be fun to setup the scope out front for the trick or
treaters to look through the scope. In my light polluted area - the moon
will be the best (most appreciated) target. Mars will be in a good position
but I suspect the smaller kids wont appreciate it as much.

Just curious if others are planning to set up.

Been there, done that, AND HAD A GREAT TIME!

I set up this last Thursday in the small town of Berlin, PA. Even
being right on a main street with auto traffic, too numerous to count
street lights, and tons of personal dusk-to-dawn lights in the
immediate vicinity, the moon was spectacular in the 4-1/2. I managed
to entice approximately 150 little people and some of their parents to
take a view while getting their treat. I have never heard so many
comments of "Wow" over just the moon or those who thought the
4-1/2-inch reflector was a "big" telescope! We even got treated to a
spectacular aurora around 7 p.m., with red coloring extending almost
to the zenith and plainly visible in town along with intense pillar
piercing that even the dusk-to-day light just 50 feet away could not
overpower. For the adults, that was more impressive than anything and
generated a lot of questions and awe from the viewers. I hope the talk
of school the following day was "Did you see the house with the
telescope?"

I am very pleased with the outcome and would not have thought to do
such an event had it not been for the blurb in the AL Reflector that
just arrived. I cannot wait until next year (the moon better be
visible as almost anything else is hopeless) and maybe I'll have my
Gandalf costume ready by then!
Old November 1st 03, 03:05 PM
Starlord

This year I didn't get to set up at all, right now my scope is setting on the
porch wraped up in tarps to keep it dry with all the rain we had last night.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning
lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go
again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org