Looking For Aliens

Old July 1st 10, 12:39 PM posted to alt.astronomy
HVAC[_2_]

Default Looking For Aliens

Last week Hubble Space Telescope images definitively showed that the bright
flash of light seen on Jupiter was simply a meteor. Albeit, a blinding
bright meteor to be seen across 400 million miles of interplanetary space.
As reported by Ian O'Neill Hubble failed to find any telltale debris as seen
in Jupiter comet and asteroid impacts.

Now Hubble astronomers tell us that Jupiter super-meteors might be
detectable as frequently every few days. Australian amateur astronomer
Anthony Wesley just got lucky because he was viewing a video transmission of
Jupiter when the brilliant flash appeared.
This event was sobering to me because my mind invariably wandered to
wondering if a signal from an extraterrestrial civilization might be just as
transient.

Will the real ET be little green men or little green bacteria? Despite our
best search strategies, are signals from E.T. manifested in anomalous
flashes of radio energy from our galaxy that are missed, or dismissed as
natural phenomena? Maybe alien transmissions are popping off all around us
but we just aren't looking at the right place or right time to see them.

In a recently published paper by James Benford and Dominic Benford of
Microwave Sciences in Lafayette, California, the authors imagine that SETI
beacons might be much like a lighthouse, sweeping the galactic plane in a
raster pattern. Depending on beam size and scan rate, many days could pass
between the brief Twitter-like bursts of "here we are" flashes from alien
civilizations.
"We should learn how to identify any such beacons," the authors say. For
starters they expect the beam would pulsate to conserve energy and also have
amplitude or frequency modulation of the carrier to draw attention to
itself.

The problem is that pulsars (powerful bursts of radiation from rotating
neutron star magnetospheres) look just what an alien transmission might look
like according to this SETI "lighthouse" model. In fact when pulsars were
first discovered in the mid 1960's they were nicknamed "LGMs" for "Little
Green Men."
There are certain unusual transient phenomena that are likely due to pulsars
behaving, well, unusually. These occasionally repeat, but others do not. The
authors say that we should consider SETI beacons as a candidate explanation
when perplexing non-repeating signals that are seen in the radio sky.

One example they cite is PSR J1928+15 that was a transient burst of radio
pulses that was observed only for two minutes in 2005 near the galactic
plane -- and never repeated in several dozen subsequent searches. Three
pulses came in succession. The first and third pulse was down a factor of
ten from the powerful central pulse. The source is estimated to be 26,000
light years away, the distance to the heart of our galaxy.
The SETI-lighthouse hypothesis would explain PSR J1928+15 as an E.T.
scanning beacon. As it swept past Earth, the giant Arecibo radio telescope
in Puerto Rico caught the central pulse of the true beam. The first and
third pulses were at the edges of the beam width according to this
interpretation.

A far simpler explanation is that the transient was caused by an asteroid
falling into the neutron star from a circumpulsar disk. This perturbed the
pulsar's intense magnetic field.

If we diligently apply Occam's Razor (going with the simplest explanation)
the crashing asteroid solution wins over E.T. saying "Hi."
Also, the central beam pulse was 190,000 terawatts -- 10,000 times the total
power output of our civilization! I wouldn't want to pay that electric bill.
Still, this kind of mega-engineering would be cheaper than the ticket price
high-speed interstellar travel. The authors say there might be a scaling
effect where super-civilizations build extraordinarily powerful
transmitters. These aliens might have limitless armies of self-replicating
machines that tirelessly construct vast antenna arrays orbiting a star and
sucking up solar energy.

Another problem is that such civilizations are probably rare in the galaxy.
And, at the same time we need to assume that they'd decide to stick with
radio wavelengths as a viable communications channel for reaching any
entities they would be interested in contacting.
Less ambitious or less advanced civilizations might try beacons too, but the
beams would be weaker, though likely to be more numerous in the galaxy.

The dilemma is that exotic astrophysics theories, no matter how exotic,
would always trump any conclusion that super-aliens where pumping out
extravagantly powerful broadcasts. Even suggesting "I fount E.T." could be
a career-killer for any young astronomer.
If such artificially produced flashes are real, they will likely remain
ghosts in the cosmic night that are as fleeting as Jupiter's super-meteors.

Old July 1st 10, 03:05 PM posted to alt.astronomy
bert

On Jul 1, 7:39*am, "HVAC" wrote:
[...]

HVAC What if aliens have read your posts,and using it as a measure
of intelligence of humankind ? That could be the reason they feel
Earth has no intelligent life,and pass us by It fits TreBert
Old July 1st 10, 05:39 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hagar[_1_]

"Charles D. Bohne" wrote in message
news:52cp2610sikvmn5jbsec7f0l9t94ij8ns4@pasoschwei z.de...
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 16:57:26 +0200, "Charles D. Bohne"
wrote:

that

should be than

Have fun, Hagar, yes I did it again.
Oh my sloppy typing....

That's ok Chuckles ... I'm still ROTFLMAO over the 90% of
your self-proclaimed witty remarks that I don't understand ...
trust me, nobody else understands them either ... you're just
sooo much smarter then us mere mortals ...

Old July 1st 10, 09:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hagar[_1_]

"Charles D. Bohne" wrote in message
news:srip26974p9gjcolv7ootlgn67hho4fm05@pasoschwei z.de...
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 09:39:39 -0700, "Hagar" wrote:

That's ok Chuckles ... I'm still ROTFLMAO over the 90% of
your self-proclaimed witty remarks that I don't understand ...
trust me, nobody else understands them either ... you're just
sooo much smarter then us mere mortals ...

Yes, everyone of us has a handicap.
C.

But the question is this:
Is it your handicap that you are too dumb to learn English ...
or is it mine for not understanding the mangled up mess you try
to pass off as English ...

Hint: reading just two lines of your pidgin English would provide
a good clue towards the answer of this puzzle.

Old July 2nd 10, 01:45 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Hagar[_2_]

"Charles D. Bohne" wrote in message
news:ji3q261ri9j4taq2d0am97877dch1a8rql@pasoschwei z.de...
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:48:46 -0700, "Hagar" wrote:

Is it your handicap that you are too dumb to learn English ...
or is it mine for not understanding the mangled up mess you try
to pass off as English ...

You wouldn't understand in ANY LANGUAGE.

You are out.
Bye

And you do ??? Bwahahahahahhhh
Chuckles, you need at least some form of a brain, the lack
of which is your handicap in life.
Just look at all the Losers who relate to you ... Horry, GuthBall,
AA, Painintheass, Beert ... all the insignificant bottom feeders
finally have someone to look up to and make them realize that
mental degradation afflicts people outside of their immediate
family circle.

I'll close for now and leave you to your fuddled devices..
Usually I do enjoy a battle of wits, just not any longer with
an unarmed man.

Old July 2nd 10, 02:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hagar[_1_]

"Charles D. Bohne" wrote in message
news:rngq26lv10lo0hhgqpemv1ge35eudi9gki@pasoschwei z.de...
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 17:45:41 -0700, "Hagar" hagen@sahm,name wrote:

[...]

Those "losers", as you call them, are the original members
of this news group, which was home to friendly people and
a wolf (HVAC) before the kooks from alt.usenet.kooks entered
the scene ... and then YOU showed off from nowhere.
C.

Well, someone had to expose you for what you are ... a phony.
I asked a long time ago to post any kind of proof of all your
supposed accomplishments, degrees etc., but I let the fact that
to date you haven't responded, speak for itself. If you have
nothing, you can't present anything ... plain and simple.

Old July 3rd 10, 01:21 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Brad Guth[_3_]

Default Looking For Aliens (in all the wrong places)

On Jul 2, 1:57*pm, "Charles D. Bohne" wrote:
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 06:58:52 -0700, "Hagar" wrote:
I asked a long time ago to post any kind of proof of all your
supposed accomplishments, degrees etc., but I let the fact that
to date you haven't responded, speak for itself.

Very funny.

When I was a newbie to UseNet Ugly Bob, Harry Bosh, Peter Charest
and some other guys - that I have happily managed to forget - lured me
to put some of these "credentials" on my homepage. This led to some
mocking plus discussions about each and every item. Stupid as I was
at that time, I posted links by link only to make my self the laugh
stuff
of a.a.r .
Somewhere, someplace someone of the "so called debunkers" might even
hold copies, at least that idiot who abused my diplomas.

I told you again and again that my first reaction towards mankind is
TRUST. But I'm not longer naive.

So once and for always: I do not make claims. My documents will be
shown one a "need to know base" only, and to absolutely no idiot in
a news group.

And I have definitely no reason to show anything to you, especially
NOT to you.

I cannot prevent you from making fun of me, at least not without more
effort than you deserve. But there's a warning: I may appear meek for
a long time, but once I set for action I prefer the way of Harlow and
it shall be a TERMINAL solution.
C.

99.9% of Usenet/newsgroups are bogus. That leaves 0.1% of us that are
exactly who and of what we say.

~ BG