Valeev is by no means the worst offender

Old February 18th 09, 05:47 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Eric Chomko[_2_]

Default Valeev is by no means the worst offender

On Feb 18, 8:51*am, Fred J. McCall wrote:
"Jeff Findley" wrote:

:
:"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
om...
: You had 1200 baud? *Nice.
:
: We had 300 baud. *And we liked it!
:
: Ok not really but beat trudging to campus to do work.
:
: And I remember my housemate's first 1200 (might have even been a 2400 baud
: modem). *Kept corrupting data. *Finally pinpointed it I think to any ASCII
: character that had the something like the 5th and 6th bits ON would end up
: coming across wrong.
:
: I can read faster than 300 baud and almost keep up with 2400 baud.
:
:True. *I vaguely remember that 1200 baud was just about right for reading
:emails and newsgroups since I could read a bit faster than that. *By the
:time the page was done rendering on the screen, I was just about ready to go
:to the next page.
:
:I started out at 300 baud and it was like pulling teeth waiting for the text
:to come up on the screen one slow character at a time.
:

I don't think I started to lose track until I got above 4800 baud...

I dunno, I think you lost track way before that.
Old February 18th 09, 06:34 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Ian Parker

On 18 Feb, 15:46, "Jeff Findley" wrote:
"Ian Parker" wrote in message

The basic fact is that Herbert Spencer has left the group.

There was never a Herbert Spencer in these newsgroups. *His name is Henry
Spencer.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/henry.html

If you can't get these simple facts straight, how can you ever expect to
have sane conversations with others?

I'm sorry I got his Christian name wrong. The main facts remain. How
can we be so openly challenging the NASA heirarchy. You are all a load
of morons. Fred McCall for (in essence) calling the NASA management
and Obama looney. You for supporting this.

Look there are no ifs buts or maybes. sci.space.policy has absolutwely
nothing to say to anyone. This fact should be apparent to everyone.

- Ian Parker
Old February 18th 09, 06:37 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Ian Parker

On 18 Feb, 15:43, "Jeff Findley" wrote:
"Fred J. McCall" wrote in messagenews:ne4op41jk5ldo39av9uo5o88fjh16ko288@4ax .com...

"Jeff Findley" wrote:
:No doubt. *I'd rather carry around my 2GB flash drive that costs less
than
:$10 than carry around a box full of paper cards. *;-)
:

Ah, but just think how much better shape we'd all be in if we had to
haul around pounds of cards rather than ounces of thumb drives...

I think I'll stick to walking around the office building every day after
lunch. *We typically do 1.66 miles every day which is three laps around the
perimeter of the back parking lot.

A serious sciece gruop measures in kilometeres. 2.67. Tiny point in
comparison to the lunacy of Obama and the NASA management but pretty
symptomatic.

- Ian Parker
Old February 18th 09, 07:02 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Deirdre Sholto Douglas

"Jeff Findley" wrote:
:No doubt. I'd rather carry around my 2GB flash drive that costs less
than
:$10 than carry around a box full of paper cards. ;-)
:

Ah, but just think how much better shape we'd all be in if we had to
haul around pounds of cards rather than ounces of thumb drives...

I think I'll stick to walking around the office building every day after
lunch. We typically do 1.66 miles every day which is three laps around the
perimeter of the back parking lot.

You must have a nicer climate than Chicago in which to
walk...laps are a summertime pursuit here.

It depends upon what building one is in, but my walk of
choice is out the gas cylinder loading dock, past the
accelerator and material science then back home via
admin and bioscience...the choice has more to do with
the prevalance of Canada geese (or in this case, pau-
city) and their calling cards than length of the journey.

BTW, Ian seems perturbed you failed to use SI units in
causal conversation...don't let it happen again, hm? ;-)

Deirdre
Old February 18th 09, 07:49 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Deirdre Sholto Douglas

Eric Chomko wrote:

I have an ASR-33 and the modem with a cradle used for plugging in the
handset.

"Have" as in "I still use it" or "have" as in "It's some-
where in a box in the garage"? :-)

We used to have one which punched holes in a tape which
was then fed through a reader in order to transmit via
wire...all caps, to be sure. *I think it had some ueber (well,
I'm pretty sure it was of German manufacture) forward-
sounding name like "Flex-o-writer". *I also suspect it was
my chronological senior.

The company name for the Flex-o-writer was Frieden (Free-den). I
believe the
systems used baudot instead of ASCII. I designed an EPROM for
character conversion for baudot to ASCII once for use with a Flex-o-
writer. It never got implemented.

I assume that's because the Flex-o-writer technology
became obsolete before it could be?

Deirdre
Old February 18th 09, 09:07 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Androcles[_8_]

"Deirdre Sholto Douglas" wrote in message

Eric Chomko wrote:

I have an ASR-33 and the modem with a cradle used for plugging in the
handset.

"Have" as in "I still use it" or "have" as in "It's some-
where in a box in the garage"? :-)

I still have a thing called a "vacuum tube", but it's somewhere
in a box in the garage. Imagine how big the museum would be
if we had a sample of every piece of junk ever produced that was
a desirable item in its day.
Perhaps a virtual museum is the answer. Maybe that's what the
internet really is, although why we need a picture of every kid's
birthday cake escapes me.

Old February 19th 09, 01:15 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Deirdre Sholto Douglas wrote:
:
:But not yet fossils. That only comes when they sit about
:saying to the next generation "I remember when it was text-
nly...at 1200 baud and we were happy to Get That." :-)
:

Hey, I remember accessing a mainframe through a 300 baud acoustic
coupler using a hard copy terminal. Does that count?

--
"Rule Number One for Slayers - Don't die."
-- Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
Old February 19th 09, 01:16 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

"Jeff Findley" wrote:
:
:"Deirdre Sholto Douglas" wrote in message
:
: Gentlemen, you are showing your age. Mind you, I remember
: all those things also but I was _precocious_ ;-)
:
:I'm going to be turning 40 this year, so I guess it's all downhill from
:here, right? :-)
:

40? Why you young whippersnapper...

Old February 19th 09, 01:32 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Ian Parker wrote:
:
:I think you are all missing the main point.
:

I think you're failing to have a 'main point'.

:
:The basic fact is that Herbert Spencer has left the group.
:

The basic fact is that there is no such person as "Herbert Spencer".
I've corrected you on this one and yet you continue to mess it up.

This is just one of the things that leaves me (and pretty much
everyone else) thinking you're an idiot, Ian.

:
:He clearly sees little point in it.
:

And his departure is in much closer proximity to YOUR arrival than to
mine, Ian. Perhaps you should think about that?

:
:Come to think of it neither do I.
:

Please! Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

:
:If a group
:can, in effect, call the NASA brass and even Obama himself "looney",
:then it is clearly a group that cannot be taken seriously.
:

The only person doing that is YOU, Ian. The rest of us don't feel
responsible for your self-serving delusions.

:
:A group should be free to discuss concepts that are a little bit off
:mainstream, a little bit speculative from time to time. This group is
:incapable of discussing even mainstream concepts in a sensible way.
:

You mean *YOU* are incapable of discussing even mainstream concepts in
a sensible way, don't you?

:
eirdre has informed me in another thread that the aim is NOT to
:discuss substantive issues at all. She accuses me of using tricks.
:Really. As I stated she and Fred are the experts in "tricks". They
:have been trained in trickery.
:

Paranoid much?

:
:I havn't. I am simply telling the truth
:as I see it. The truth about Relativity, the truth about
:sci.space.policy and even the truth about Iraq. On this latter subject
:I do think that this training in trickery has been a strong
:contributory factor to the current debacle.
:

You need to stop making **** up and then acting as if it is fact, Ian.

:gibbering elided
:
:Fred has by
:calling me looney also by association assiated the term with the NASA
:brass.
:

No, Ian. Just you.

paranoid lunacy elided

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine
Old February 19th 09, 01:34 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.skeptic
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Deirdre Sholto Douglas wrote:
:
:
:Ian Parker wrote:
:
: fred and Deirdre are 100%
: responsible for ALL that has happenned. Don't let the professional
: disinformers tell you otherwise.
:
:I'm certain Jeff, Greg, Androcles and anyone else who is
:reading will take that under advisement and, in the true
:spirit of scientific endeavour, draw their own conclusions.
:

I just want to know when Deirdre took over from Rand as the other
antiChrist in what passes for Ian's mind....

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine