Are rings of Saturn evidence of a young solar system/universe?

Old July 5th 04, 10:30 AM
Dave

Default Are rings of Saturn evidence of a young solar system/universe?

Howie Glatter wrote:
David Buckna wrote ...

. . .An authoritative
book on Saturn made this point about Saturn's moon Iapetus: "At
estimated current rates it would require one thousand billion years
to produce the crater density observed on Iapetus."

Is that close to a trillion ?

It depends on where you come from.
In the UK a billion is 10^12. ie a million million (bi-million).
A trillion would be 10^18 (tri-million).

At least that's the way things used to be, now the US usage seems to have
mostly taken over.

DaveL

Old July 5th 04, 11:15 AM
Phil Wheeler

No

Old July 5th 04, 11:15 AM
Phil Wheeler

No

Old July 5th 04, 01:12 PM
Howie Glatter

Chris L Peterson wrote ...

Would you say that it is about 5000 kilometers from L.A. to N.Y., or would you
say it is about 5 megameters? g

That Magameter is an unfamiliar term is a good point, but it does
make more sense to me to say it that way, and I would prefer it. If
people began thinking logically, it might become a habit, and where
would we be then ?

H.

Old July 5th 04, 02:07 PM
Mike Thomas

No. They are proof of ET's long since come and gone. Perhaps there are
still remnants of
magnificent men and their flying machines still orbiting the gas giant.

Old July 5th 04, 02:07 PM
Mike Thomas

Old July 6th 04, 07:29 AM
starman

The rings of Saturn are thought to be several hundred million years old.
That's much younger than the solar system but hardly young in the sense
that you are trying to find proof for.

Old July 6th 04, 07:29 AM
starman

Old July 6th 04, 05:33 PM
Alexander Avtanski

Chris L Peterson wrote:

On 4 Jul 2004 16:16:07 -0700, (Howie Glatter) wrote:

Famous T.V.commercial from the past: "Anacin contains
1000 milligrams of pain reliever . ."

Would you say that it is about 5000 kilometers from L.A. to N.Y., or would you
say it is about 5 megameters? g
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Instead of "5 megameters" I prefer "3107 millimiles".

- Alex