S.A.A Telescope Questionnaire - beta 1

Old October 21st 03, 05:20 PM
Victor

Default S.A.A Telescope Questionnaire - beta 1

I liked Bill Greer's questions a lot and just thought Question number 9
should be added (see below). More suggestions are welcome!

When we have 'consensus' on its contents, we should keep a copy of it
somewhere. So if a regular S.A.A poster sees someone with the normal
"Which telescope should I buy?" question, then he or she can reply with
the questionnaire.

Hopefully the original poster will go through the effort of answering it
and send it back to the newsgroup. Then we can unleash our informed
advice onto the poor soul! ;-)

QUESTIONNAIRE

Please answer the following questions to the best of your ability.
Your answers will greatly assist us in directing you to the right
telescope for your needs.

1) What price range are you considering? Would you be willing to
spend more in order to get the performance you desire?

2) What would you like to be able to see? What specific details
would you want to be able to see in those objects?

3) Would you eventually want to use this telescope for photography,
CCD imaging, or any other specialized purpose?

4) What is the nearest city/town to the area in which you plan on
using the telescope? How far from this city/town do you intend to set
up and use your new telescope?

5) If size and weight are important factors, what are your
approximate limitations?

6) Do you want the telescope now; or are you willing to wait for the
right telescope?

7) Are there any specific features or capabilities you think you
would want or not want in your new telescope?

8) Is there anything else that would be important for us to consider
in order to direct you to the right telescope?

9) In which country do you stay? Some equipment manufacturers may not
have distributors there.

--
25° 45' S
28° 12' E

Old October 21st 03, 06:38 PM
Brian Tung

Victor wrote:
QUESTIONNAIRE

Not a bad idea. However, I think most beginners will need help in
interpreting and answering these questions. One way that we might be
able to do this without requiring interaction (after all, we're trying
to avoid some of that) is to put these questions on a web page, and
hyperlink the questions to clarifications.

1) What price range are you considering? Would you be willing to
spend more in order to get the performance you desire?

I wouldn't be sure how to answer that second part. The problem is
that I might not be sure what kind of performance I could get. We
on SAA are familiar with the measurements of performance (light
gathering, resolution, contrast, field flatness, etc), but a novice
won't be.

2) What would you like to be able to see? What specific details
would you want to be able to see in those objects?

Again, what details are reasonable to expect? We should point out
that lunar landers are unreasonable, but the rings of Saturn, and
even some details in those rings, aren't.

3) Would you eventually want to use this telescope for photography,
CCD imaging, or any other specialized purpose?

4) What is the nearest city/town to the area in which you plan on
using the telescope? How far from this city/town do you intend to set
up and use your new telescope?

5) If size and weight are important factors, what are your
approximate limitations?

I would point out that there are limits based on the person carrying
the scope and parts, as well as being able to fit it into a car.

6) Do you want the telescope now; or are you willing to wait for the
right telescope?

7) Are there any specific features or capabilities you think you
would want or not want in your new telescope?

What is there besides motorized tracking and GOTO?

Actually, I'm not sure I could come up with very many that a beginner
will be able to decide about.

8) Is there anything else that would be important for us to consider
in order to direct you to the right telescope?

9) In which country do you stay? Some equipment manufacturers may not
have distributors there.

I'd ask a few more questions, such as:

10. Have you ever used a pair of binoculars before? Do you own a pair?

11. Have you ever used a telescope before?

12. Do you plan to observe primarily on your own, or with friends?
[Tracking and GOTO take added importance if you're observing with
friends.]

13. How many of the following objects can you find on your own? With
a star map?

a. Orion
b. Big Dipper (or Southern Cross)
c. Pleiades [M 45]
d. Sirius
e. The celestial pole
f. Great Orion Nebula [M 42]
g. Great Andromeda Galaxy [M 31] (or omega Centauri [NGC 5139])
h. Ring Nebula [M 57] (or Saturn Nebula [NGC 7009])
i. Whirlpool Galaxy [M 51] (or Southern Pinwheel [M 83])
j. Uranus
k. Neptune
l. Pluto

14. Which do you think you would enjoy more?

a. The hunt for a celestial target
b. The view once you find it

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old October 21st 03, 07:33 PM
Ben Kolstad

Hi Brian,

Good points about beginners not being able to answer some of these
questions. I remember quite vividly how I didn't know what I didn't know
when I started. Fortunately, I read around in the newsgroups and found
some good advice.

Brian Tung wrote:

14. Which do you think you would enjoy more?

a. The hunt for a celestial target
b. The view once you find it

This last is, to me, by far the most important question, one that I
still have difficulty answering after 3 years in the hobby.

--Ben

Old October 21st 03, 08:00 PM
Stephen Paul

"Victor" wrote in message
QUESTIONNAIRE

10) Do you enjoy assembling and maintaining your equipment, or would you
rather not?

Old October 21st 03, 08:27 PM
Bill Ferris

As for me, I'm sticking with the three questions which have served well over
the years...

1. What's your budget?

2. Where will you use your telescope and how will you get it there?

3. What kind of observing would you like to do: lunar/planetary (Moon, Jupiter,
etc.); deep-sky (star clusters and nebulae; or a little bit of both?

Regards,

Bill Ferris
"Cosmic Voyage: The Online Resource for Amateur Astronomers"
Email: Remove "ic" from .comic above to respond

Old October 21st 03, 09:22 PM
Starlord

#4 Have you read the Telescope Buyers FAQ?

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

Old October 21st 03, 09:47 PM
Stephen Paul

If nothing else, you are persistent.

:-)

#4 Have you read the Telescope Buyers FAQ?

Old October 22nd 03, 05:34 AM
Shneor Sherman

"Stephen Paul" wrote in message ...
"Victor" wrote in message
QUESTIONNAIRE

10) Do you enjoy assembling and maintaining your equipment, or would you
rather not?

Or perhaps, "How much time and effort are you prepared to spend
assembling and disassembling yuur telescope? Are you prepered to spend
30 minutes, an hour?"
Clear skies,
Shneor Sherman
Old October 22nd 03, 04:07 PM
Bill Meyers

Yes, good point:, I agree, and if you still have difficulty answering it,
probably it should not be in a questionnaire to beginners.
Bill Meyers

Old October 22nd 03, 04:10 PM
Bill Meyers

Good theme.Maybe ask also how much they enjoy fixing up and improving
equipment, and to what extent tthey have carpentry or mechanical skills and
interests, and what kind of workshop facilities.
In general, avoid questions that can be answered "yes" or "no". Try for
questions that elicit longer answers.