Why Colonize Space?

Old July 30th 09, 05:20 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Wayne Throop

Default Why Colonize Space?

:: Do you think the latency inherent in EM-based communications is low
:: enough for such a situation, or would you prefer if the doctor used
:: an ansible to run the robot?

: "Giga" "Giga" just(removetheseandaddmatthe
: Better than 36 minutes.

But you'd be just as dead either way.

Wayne Throop http://sheol.org/throopw
Old July 30th 09, 06:25 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
David Johnston

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 02:14:04 +0100, "Giga" "Giga"
just(removetheseandaddmatthe wrote:

"David Johnston" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 02:22:07 +0100, "Giga" "Giga"
just(removetheseandaddmatthe wrote:

"David DeLaney" wrote in message
Giga wrote:
I must admit haven't thought much about how one might acheive FTL. The
only
really useful thought, IMHO, I think I've had is that mass is the real
problem, and obviously anything we would want to send, like people etc
have
mass. AFAIK there is nothing stopping something without mass from
travelling
at any speed, given a bit of a push.

Well, actually ... there is: items that are massless MUST travel at
exactly
lightspeed. (Because for them, E=pc.)

But what if this massless thing had an engine accelerating it? Would it
not
go faster than c?

No. For one thing if the engine is massless it has no way to
accelerate and if it isn't the object isn't massless.

Then it wouldn't be an engine, and I asked about an engine.

And there are severe logical problems with an engine.

For another all
it would do is shift the wavelength.

Not sure what wavelength you mean here. The question is would it arrive at
the destination faster than light.

The answer is "no".

Old July 30th 09, 12:22 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
William December Starr

In article ,
Quadibloc said:

It was a paperback with a silver cover. Ah, here we a "The
Millenial Project: Colonizing the Galaxy in Eight Easy Steps", by
Marshall T. Savage. So, the National Geographic Society already
has the first step covered...

Note: Millennial, with two ns.

(I just looked it up on Amazon. First published in 1986 by Little
Brown and Company. I'd say "Probably not one of their bigger
profit-makers," but apparently they reprinted it in 1994.)

-- wds

Old July 30th 09, 04:42 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
William December Starr

In article ,
"Giga" "Giga" just(removetheseandaddmatthe said:

"William December Starr" wrote

[...] but it still avoids the question of *what* would be more
useful to mine in space or on a non-terrestrial planet in the
Solar system than here on Earth.

HE3 AFAIU,

And how far is that?

asteroids as well.

What do you think is more useful to mine from asteroids than here
on Earth?

Most likely any faster than light engine would need to be
lauched from space rather than from the ground.

No, most likely any faster-than-light engine will have operating
properties which no human alive today can make any "most likely"
predictions about.

What is almost for sure you aint going to land on another planet
at light-speed,

True.

or probably travel around within a system, perhaps even close to
it. So you are still going to need the same kind of technologies
that will be used to get to Mars.

Absolutely not true. Pay attention: You *cannot* say "almost for
sure" about *any* operating property of an item about which *nothing
is known*. To do so is to speak utter nonsense.

Also you almost certainly need green-houses etc as well.

None of which require preliminary slower-than-light colonization of
the Solar system to develop.

-- wds