Best Day for Perseids ?

Old July 31st 04, 06:04 AM
Chris Stehlik

Default Best Day for Perseids ?

Hi,

I'm a newbie. I'm trying to find out the best day to see the Perseids.
The local observatory website (www.chabotspace.org) says Thursday
Night/Friday Morning (Aug 12/13), but a couple other sites say
Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning (Aug 11/12)

Which night would actually be better ? Is there a big difference ?

Appreciative of any sincere replies

Chris S
Old July 31st 04, 07:22 AM
SaberScorpX

Hi,
I'm a newbie. I'm trying to find out the best day to see the Perseids.

NASA says the august 11th/12th.
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...rseids2004.htm
(i've also seen the 12th/13th from other sources)
the 'peaks' are determined as the time Earth intersects with
the greatest bulk of a meteor stream.
the nights before and after the peak usually put on
a decent show as well.

more info on observing meteors:
http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclu...or/metobs.html