Terrific gamma ray burst

Old February 18th 05, 11:02 PM
Luigi Caselli

Default Terrific gamma ray burst

See http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/..._nsu_0205.html

"The next biggest flare ever seen from any soft gamma repeater was peanuts
compared to this incredible December 27 event," said Gaensler. "Had this
happened within 10 light years of us, it would have severely damaged our
atmosphere. Fortunately, all the magnetars we know of are much farther away
than this."

How much can shine a 10^40 watt lamp?

Luigi Caselli

Old February 19th 05, 03:15 AM
Double-A

Luigi Caselli wrote:
See

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/..._nsu_0205.html

"The next biggest flare ever seen from any soft gamma repeater was

peanuts
compared to this incredible December 27 event," said Gaensler. "Had

this
happened within 10 light years of us, it would have severely damaged

our
atmosphere. Fortunately, all the magnetars we know of are much

farther away
than this."

How much can shine a 10^40 watt lamp?

Luigi Caselli

Interesting.

There was a bright magnetar/magnestar flash back in 1998 too, but I
guess this one sets a new record.

http://www.zetatalk.com/theword/tword21e.htm

Double-A