Main Sequence Stellar Mass Function?

Old November 7th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
[email protected]

Default Main Sequence Stellar Mass Function?

On Nov 6, 10:54*pm, BradGuth wrote:

snip lots of crazy

Don't make any of this game simple or without any number of highly
complex and nearly insurmountable considerations.

I bow to your superior logical skills. I can do not but add every
likely, unlikely, nearly impossible (and yea even truly impossible)
event and possibility into the game. The gameplay will suffer, but the
tinfoil-hat crowd will love it.
Old November 8th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
BradGuth

On Nov 7, 9:49 am, wrote:
On Nov 6, 10:54 pm, BradGuth wrote:

snip lots of crazy

Don't make any of this game simple or without any number of highly
complex and nearly insurmountable considerations.

I bow to your superior logical skills. I can do not but add every
likely, unlikely, nearly impossible (and yea even truly impossible)
event and possibility into the game. The gameplay will suffer, but the
tinfoil-hat crowd will love it.

Call the game GOD, as then anything goes.

btw, Sirius B did go kind of postal on us, and we're still close
enough associated with that star system.

How much of a 3D interactive orbital simulator does yourame have to
work with?

~ BG
Old November 8th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
BradGuth

On Nov 7, 2:11 pm, Erik Max Francis wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 6, 10:54 pm, BradGuth wrote:

Don't make any of this game simple or without any number of highly
complex and nearly insurmountable considerations.

I bow to your superior logical skills. I can do not but add every
likely, unlikely, nearly impossible (and yea even truly impossible)
event and possibility into the game. The gameplay will suffer, but the
tinfoil-hat crowd will love it.

It won't work. He'll still complain when you're using terms correctly,
since he hasn't the slightest idea what he's talking about.

Then perhaps you should be a little more understanding.

~ BG

Old November 10th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
[email protected]

On Nov 7, 11:56*pm, BradGuth wrote:

How much of a 3D interactive orbital simulator does yourame have to
work with?

It's not much of a game right now. I'm still testing interfaces at the
moment, but it is neither 3D nor is it a simulator. I do use orbits,
but only at the most abstracted level. (And they are not represented
graphically at all.)

The design is a massively multiplayer "faster than real time" trade/
strategy browser game. Meaning that it could take real time weeks to
send a ship across the entire map. Right now the target is 1 hour to 5
minutes. Meaning that time in-game will pass at 1 hour for every 5
minutes in real time. (Or 12 days in game for every 1 in real time.)

Right now I am investigating how large of a field of view I should
provide to the player. If you are interested, I have the largest
interface option on a publicly available web server at
wormspeaker.arvixe.com. It's going to be a browser game, so you don't
need to install anything, but you will need to make sure JavaScript is
turned on. As a warning, I did mention that this is the largest size
that I am testing, it shows an entire small sized (3x3) game map in a
single view so the map image is about 12 megs and the HTML is another
2. (It has about 32,500 stars/nexuses on the map and I expect should
be good for about 32 players. (The largest game map size I am shooting
for would be 17x17 and good for up to about 1000 simultaneous
players.)) Note, again this is an interface test, so there is no game
here, it's just a proof of concept on one of the interface sizes I am
testing and possible controls to navigate the map with.

If for some strange reason someone wanted to have a look, I'm
interested in the performance on different browsers and connection
speeds. It works fairly well on my 6 meg connection with Firefox and
Mozilla, but it still takes a minute or two to download the entire
map. (Internet Explorer doesn't handle png files (transparent or
otherwise) very well, so I have a gif version available for IE, but
it's just not up on the test server. So I would avoid navigating there
with IE, it'll probably just choke on it. Chrome handles everything
well except the download time on the png map image, it works fine on
my local host, but the long download time on the map seems to have
Chrome confused, so it does not show it at all over a live internet
connection.) Once I nail down the browser peculiarities and settle on
a good default view size I'll get down to the back-end programming.
Old November 10th 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
[email protected]

On Nov 9, 9:59*pm, wrote:

... it shows an entire small sized (3x3) game map in a
single view so the map image is about 12 megs and the HTML is another
2. (It has about 32,500 stars/nexuses on the map and I expect should
be good for about 32 players.

Oops. I should mention that it has a maximum of about 32,500 stars/
nexuses if perfectly distributed, but on average gets more like 5,600
with the algorithm I am currently using. If I make it more diligent*
is will seed more stars/nexuses, but the map become too visually
crowded.

* The algorithm will try X number of times to find a clear spot on the
map for a star/nexus. If it fails that number of times to find a spot
then the algorithm ends. If I make X larger the map becomes more
crowded and vice-versa.
Old November 10th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
BradGuth

On Nov 9, 6:59 pm, wrote:
On Nov 7, 11:56 pm, BradGuth wrote:

How much of a 3D interactive orbital simulator does your game have
to work with?

It's not much of a game right now. I'm still testing interfaces at the
moment, but it is neither 3D nor is it a simulator. I do use orbits,
but only at the most abstracted level. (And they are not represented
graphically at all.)

I don't believe it'll sell to the general public. Seems boring and
otherwise kinda dull.

The design is a massively multiplayer "faster than real time" trade/
strategy browser game. Meaning that it could take real time weeks to
send a ship across the entire map. Right now the target is 1 hour to 5
minutes. Meaning that time in-game will pass at 1 hour for every 5
minutes in real time. (Or 12 days in game for every 1 in real time.)

Your game player would like die off before they get anywhere. Is that
part of the package deal? (death by game)

[...]

You've got to be kidding. But then 99.9% of Usenet/newsgroups is all
about kidding to the max. Good luck with that game of yours.

~ BG

Old November 10th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
BradGuth

On Nov 9, 7:36 pm, wrote:
On Nov 9, 9:59 pm, wrote:

... it shows an entire small sized (3x3) game map in a
single view so the map image is about 12 megs and the HTML is another
2. (It has about 32,500 stars/nexuses on the map and I expect should
be good for about 32 players.

Oops. I should mention that it has a maximum of about 32,500 stars/
nexuses if perfectly distributed, but on average gets more like 5,600
with the algorithm I am currently using. If I make it more diligent*
is will seed more stars/nexuses, but the map become too visually
crowded.

* The algorithm will try X number of times to find a clear spot on the
map for a star/nexus. If it fails that number of times to find a spot
then the algorithm ends. If I make X larger the map becomes more
crowded and vice-versa.

Oops. I forgot to mention that I don't care for games of any kind.
The real life game itself is more than sufficient, especially when my
real life game allows me to make a difference that actually counts for
something.

~ BG
Old November 10th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
Michael Ash

In rec.arts.sf.science BradGuth wrote:
On Nov 9, 7:36 pm, wrote:
On Nov 9, 9:59 pm, wrote:

[...]

Wow, a kook *and* a jerk! What a combination!

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old November 10th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
[email protected]

On Nov 10, 8:52 am, BradGuth wrote:

It's not much of a game right now. I'm still testing interfaces at the
moment, but it is neither 3D nor is it a simulator. I do use orbits,
but only at the most abstracted level. (And they are not represented
graphically at all.)

I don't believe it'll sell to the general public. Seems boring and
otherwise kinda dull.

Sir, you are ignorant of the subject which you are discussing. No one
makes a browser game to sell. I can't think of a single browser game
out there that is not ad-supported, or where free players are not
subsidized by premium account holders.

If I had any intention of selling the game to the general public I
would have been doomed before I started. (By the way, I don't consider
the tinfoil-hat crowd as the gatekeepers of the mainstream anyway.)
You can't sell games to the general public these days without a budget
in the millions and a team of hundreds, let alone without a physical
distribution network.

The realm of the one-man basement/garage code house is entirely niche.
There are a class of nerd (which I consider myself a part of) out
there that still play games by email, and that would be my target
audience. My intent is to make something to go on my resume more than
to produce a commercial success. If there are a couple hundred folks
out there that enjoy the effort then that would be great too.

As for the rest of your statements: Again, I remind you that I do not
mind that you swing your crazy around, but do try to be on topic if
you would be so kind.