Directions in space?

Old June 27th 08, 08:16 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
Eivind

Default Directions in space?

JimboCat skreiv:

Indeed. There are, however, people who think just this way. Isn't
there something, perhaps by Arthur Clarke, about a sufficiently
advanced satire being indistinguishable from a genuine kook?

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp

$499 1.5 meter ethernet-cables by Denon.

"Brings out all the nuances of digital music".

There's one born every minute...

Eivind
Old June 27th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
Michael Stemper

In article , Eivind writes:
JimboCat skreiv:

there something, perhaps by Arthur Clarke, about a sufficiently
advanced satire being indistinguishable from a genuine kook?

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp

$499 1.5 meter ethernet-cables by Denon.

"Brings out all the nuances of digital music".

OMFG, I had no idea that was *real* when _User Friendly_ started
lampooning it last week:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080618&mode=classic

--
Michael F. Stemper
COFFEE.SYS not found. Abort, Retry, Fail?
Old June 28th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
Erik Max Francis

Michael Stemper wrote:

In article , Eivind writes:
JimboCat skreiv:

there something, perhaps by Arthur Clarke, about a sufficiently
advanced satire being indistinguishable from a genuine kook?

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp

$499 1.5 meter ethernet-cables by Denon.

"Brings out all the nuances of digital music".

OMFG, I had no idea that was *real* when _User Friendly_ started
lampooning it last week:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080618&mode=classic

There's even a James Randi connection to these overexpensive cables:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/calling-b...ter-305549.php

San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
I never could have predicted / That I'd feel this way
-- India Arie
Old July 4th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
Steve Coltrin

begin fnord
Michael Ash writes:

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but my impresion of tubes used in
guitar amplifiers is that they are essentially psychological at this
point. There's nothing preventing you from building a semiconductor
circuit with identical response, and it would be cheaper and use less
power. But they would fail in the psychological department, because people
*think* that tubes sound better. This, in my mind, doesn't constitute a
decent reason to use tubes.

AIUI, guitar amps that use tubes don't do it because of any subjective
"warmth of tone" or the like that only golden-eared audiophooles can
detect. It's because overdriving a tube amp sounds good (if that's
what you want), overdriving a transistor amp sounds like ass, and if
you want that effect in silicon you have to do DSP (and _then_ the
audiophooles pretend they can hear a difference).

--
Steve Coltrin Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel
Old July 4th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro
Michael Ash

In rec.arts.sf.science Steve Coltrin wrote:
begin fnord
Michael Ash writes:

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but my impresion of tubes used in
guitar amplifiers is that they are essentially psychological at this
point. There's nothing preventing you from building a semiconductor
circuit with identical response, and it would be cheaper and use less
power. But they would fail in the psychological department, because people
*think* that tubes sound better. This, in my mind, doesn't constitute a
decent reason to use tubes.

AIUI, guitar amps that use tubes don't do it because of any subjective
"warmth of tone" or the like that only golden-eared audiophooles can
detect. It's because overdriving a tube amp sounds good (if that's
what you want), overdriving a transistor amp sounds like ass, and if
you want that effect in silicon you have to do DSP (and _then_ the
audiophooles pretend they can hear a difference).

Ignoring your followup-to because I won't get to see the thread anymore if
I respect it....

That to me is the same as saying that it's done because of subjective
"warmth of tone". You can, as you note, achieve the same effect with
digital processing. It will use less power and quite likely be cheaper. It
isn't done because, as you say, the audiophiles who would be your primary
market won't buy it.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth