Reporting Spam in Google Groups

Old March 26th 08, 02:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Martha Adams

Default Reporting Spam in Google Groups

"T Guy" wrote in message
("Martha Adams" ):

As I'm posting after Guth's extended diatribe, I
wonder if anyone will see it.

(T Guy):

And I'm posting after the diatribe and your reply.

However, notice that I deleted all parts of the screed to which I was
not actually directly applying. This is a procedure which might take
fifteen seconds or so.

T Guy

Hi, T Guy. Yes, I normally would do that; but
this time I left it in for effect. I think
usenet, often so undervalued that it is not
even mentioned in some books about cyberspace,
is actually (potentially) the resource of
greatest social and technical value. And that
the issues I mentioned up this thread, are for
the most part, the reasons it's not achieving
its need and value. And I suspect, my item
#3, jamming, is the most serious problem now;
i.e., this one is *bad*.

Titeotwawki -- mha [rasfw 2008 Mar 28]

Old March 26th 08, 03:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
BradGuth

On Mar 26, 2:43 am, T Guy wrote:
(BradGuth ):

Yes in deed, a robo-moderator program on behalf of Usenet can either
divert and/or directly place all such iffy (spam like or purely
trashy) topics into a spam sub-group, such as "sci.space.policy.spam"
without causing outright censorship or banishment issues. It is not
rocket science.

(T Guy):

Please rank in order of difficulty:

1. Robo-moderator programme
2. Rocket science
3. Deleting portions of messages to which one is not actually
replying.

T Guy

4. Not topic/author stalking in the first place.
.. - Brad Guth
Old March 26th 08, 06:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
[email protected]

On Mar 25, 12:39*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:26:53 -0700 (PDT), in sci.space.policy Space

Cadet wrote:
Hi All
I found this on rasfc, thought it might be appropriate to pass it
around to see if we can do something to cut all the crap in he

The headers of posts made via Google include this:

I assume that you'd simply write a brief note and attach the
offending post, complete with headers. *(Actually, the
headers alone ought to suffice, since they include the
Message-ID.)

Thanks, I did that last night. *My note asked them to please make it
stop, and I got an automated reply that my message had been sent to the
Gmail abuse team. *It made me feel better, anyway.

If anyone else wants to complain, you can either do as Brian and Bill
describe, or (through the web interface):

1. Go tohttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.composition/(*)
2. Click to open the offending threads. *(This is where tabbed
browsers
come into their own: *on a Mac, I open-apple-clicked on all 16 on the
first page, and then moved on to the next step.)
3. Find the name with the email address in green - to the right is
'View
profile'(1) and further along 'More options' - click this 'More
options'
link.
4. This brings up a selection of links; on the second row is 'Report
this message'.
5. You get a form to fill out.
* a. If you don't want to give them your email I imagine a fake one
will work just as well. *After you've filled it out the first time, if
you've got a nice browser you'll only have to type the first letter to
bring it up again for subsequent reports.
* b. Leave the radio buttons as they are.
* c. Type something generic in the text box: *I used "This
spam/pornography is flooding rasfc at the moment; can it please be
filtered?" and copied it into my clipboard to use on all 16 reports I
made (deleting 'pornography' when not appropriate).

If you're doing a whole bunch at a time, you soon get into the rhythm
of
it; I reported 16 in about 5 minutes.

One hopes that the more people complain, the more likely Google will
actually do something about it.

(1) Following this allows you to report entire users using pretty much
the same process.

It doesn't matter, rec.photo.digital.* just hashed this out. You might
care to take a look at:
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org

Hmm, so nobody is supposed to post from any place they can't use a
newsreader, like say work.
Old March 26th 08, 07:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Mike Schilling

wrote:

Hmm, so nobody is supposed to post from any place they can't use a
newsreader, like say work.

If you can't post from work, perhaps your employer doesn't want you to
post.

Old March 27th 08, 12:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Alan Erskine[_2_]

Just got this from Google:

If you're reporting a
spam email with a Google return address, please be assured that it did not
originate with Google. Google does not permit others to send unsolicited
email through its mail servers. A number of unscrupulous businesses have
sent out mass mailings with forged Google return addresses. Google is
actively pursuing all available legal means to stop these miscreants from
abusing our name and your inbox. We appreciate your understanding, and
please accept our sympathies for the inconvenience this may have caused.

For further assistance or to report a problem with a Google product,
please visit http://www.google.com/support/ for a list of our Help
Centers.

Regards,
The Google Team

Old March 27th 08, 12:29 AM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Mike Schilling" wrote in message

Hmm, so nobody is supposed to post from any place they can't use a
newsreader, like say work.

If you can't post from work, perhaps your employer doesn't want you to
post.

Funny about that; I always thought work was for... gee... work...

Old March 27th 08, 12:54 AM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Michael Ash

In rec.arts.sf.science Alan Erskine wrote:
Just got this from Google:

If you're reporting a
spam email with a Google return address, please be assured that it did not
originate with Google. Google does not permit others to send unsolicited
email through its mail servers.

Several thoughts come to mind:

1) Amazing technology they have if they can stop all spam from being sent
through their servers. Realistically, they may not permit it but it can
still be done.

2) If your spam has Google headers (not just a Google from address) then
it definitely did originate with them.

3) This is nearly unrelated to the problem of spam sent through Google
*Groups*, which is a very real problem that they seem unwilling to fight.
If this is indeed what you asked them about then the reply you got was
either sadly clueless or evilly misleading.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old March 27th 08, 02:17 AM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
Mike Schilling

Alan Erskine wrote:
Just got this from Google:

If you're reporting a
spam email with a Google return address, please be assured that it
did not originate with Google. Google does not permit others to send
unsolicited email through its mail servers. A number of unscrupulous
businesses have sent out mass mailings with forged Google return
addresses. Google is actively pursuing all available legal means to
stop these miscreants from abusing our name and your inbox. We
appreciate your understanding, and please accept our sympathies for
the inconvenience this may have caused.

For further assistance or to report a problem with a Google product,
please visit http://www.google.com/support/ for a list of our Help
Centers.

Regards,
The Google Team

Im other words, they don't know what Usenet spam means.

Old March 27th 08, 04:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science,rec.arts.sf.written
mimus

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:10:42 -0400, Alain Fournier wrote:

wrote:

Hmm, so nobody is supposed to post from any place they can't use a
newsreader, like say work.

If you can't use a newsreader at work, is there any reason why
you aren't changing jobs? :-)

"It's a load-test program, is what it is. Yep. A load-test program."

--

Let there be another leaf.

_Small Gods_

Google Groups Double-A Misc 9 April 16th 06 08:16 PM
ATTN: Google Groups now improving! (was: google now useless) Daniel Joseph Min Astronomy Misc 2 March 22nd 05 02:54 PM
ATTN: Google Groups now improving! (was: google now useless) Daniel Joseph Min Amateur Astronomy 2 March 22nd 05 02:54 PM
REPOST: ATTN: Google Groups now improving! (was: google now useless) Saul Levy Misc 0 March 16th 05 09:03 PM
google groups (a little OT, I know...) starburst Amateur Astronomy 13 December 11th 04 04:08 AM