My What Did I See?

Old October 25th 04, 01:50 AM
Bill Arnold

Default My What Did I See?

Greetings,

This evening from my front yard, I was watching, with my 7x50
binoculars, as Cosmos 1716 r (16457U 86002J) was moving north to south below
Markab, which is the upper right star in the square of Pegasus as seen from
my yard now.

Cosmos 1716 r, came into view about 6:59 pm. about 1 degree below 1716
r was another satellite, moving in the same direction, N to S.

I have been unable to id that satellite with any of the current element
files I have, including a current alldat.tle.

My location is: 30:29:07.3 N 30.485361 N

Any help on this id will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill Arnold

Old October 25th 04, 11:11 AM
Ed Cannon

Bill Arnold says...

... Cosmos 1716 r (16457U 86002J) was moving north to
south below Markab....

... came into view about 6:59 pm. about 1 degree
below 1716 r was another satellite, moving in the same
direction....

I have been unable to id that satellite with any of
the current element files I have, including a current
alldat.tle.

Same here.

My location is: 30:29:07.3 N 30.485361 N

I used 89.0 west as your longitude, from a previous post.

Can you estimate comparative speeds? Was either of them
catching up with the other? Were they exactly parallel or
slightly angled to each other. What about magnitudes?

Ed Cannon - - Austin, Texas, USA
(Remove "donotspam".)