shooting star?

Old July 2nd 03, 05:46 AM
Diem Sellers

Default shooting star?

what does a shooting star look like? my husband and i are not
intelligent when it comes to astronomy or the sorts. tonight out on
our deck at around 10:30, we were stargazing and sae three starts
moving very fast and then fading upwards. it was too high for an
airplane as we saw one moments earlier.

thank you.

DS
Old July 3rd 03, 05:12 AM
J. Scott Miller

Diem Sellers wrote:
what does a shooting star look like? my husband and i are not
intelligent when it comes to astronomy or the sorts. tonight out on
our deck at around 10:30, we were stargazing and sae three starts
moving very fast and then fading upwards. it was too high for an
airplane as we saw one moments earlier.

thank you.

DS

Generally, a streak of light in the sky. Some are dim, some are quite bright.
There are several meteor showers which will be peaking toward the end of the
month or on into August (the best known of which, the Perseid meteor shower,
peaking in mid August). So, if your skies remain clear and your site is
moderately dark, you should see some good examples within a few weeks.