Meteor?

Old September 27th 13, 08:11 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Trevor[_4_]

Default Meteor?

Looking north from East Yorkshire there is an unusually bright
contrail-like feature. It would appear to be in the stratosphere - meteor?
Old September 27th 13, 10:12 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Dave Liquorice[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 20:11:46 +0100, Trevor wrote:

Looking north from East Yorkshire there is an unusually bright
contrail-like feature. It would appear to be in the stratosphere -
meteor?

How long did it last?

If it was persistent I suspect what you saw was an aircraft contrail
illuminated by the set sun.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old September 28th 13, 11:21 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Alastair McDonald

"Trevor" wrote in message
om...
Looking north from East Yorkshire there is an unusually bright
contrail-like feature. It would appear to be in the stratosphere - meteor?

Perhaps it was this! or a fragment of it.

OHIO FIREBALL: Last night, just before midnight on Sept. 27-28, sky watchers
in more than a dozen US states witnessed a bright flash of light. NASA
all-sky cameras recorded a brilliant fireball, which analysts believe was a
meter-class space rock exploding almost directly above Columbus, Ohio.
Images and more information about this event may be found on today's edition
of http://spaceweather.com.

Cheers, Alastair.

Old September 29th 13, 08:07 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Trevor[_4_]

On 27/09/2013 22:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 20:11:46 +0100, Trevor wrote:

Looking north from East Yorkshire there is an unusually bright
contrail-like feature. It would appear to be in the stratosphere -
meteor?

How long did it last?

If it was persistent I suspect what you saw was an aircraft contrail
illuminated by the set sun.

It was there from 7 pm to 9 pm and it was very white. I noticed the
following night that similar cirrus clouds looked dark by 7.15 so it
must have been stratospheric.
Old September 29th 13, 08:37 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Trevor[_4_]

On 28/09/2013 23:21, Alastair McDonald wrote:
"Trevor" wrote in message
om...
Looking north from East Yorkshire there is an unusually bright
contrail-like feature. It would appear to be in the stratosphere - meteor?

Perhaps it was this! or a fragment of it.

OHIO FIREBALL: Last night, just before midnight on Sept. 27-28, sky watchers
in more than a dozen US states witnessed a bright flash of light. NASA
all-sky cameras recorded a brilliant fireball, which analysts believe was a
meter-class space rock exploding almost directly above Columbus, Ohio.
Images and more information about this event may be found on today's edition
of http://spaceweather.com.

Cheers, Alastair.

It was there from 7 pm to 9 pm and it was very white. I noticed the
following night that similar cirrus clouds looked dark by 7.15 so it
must have been stratospheric.

The timing isn't consistent with teh Ohio fireball as it would hav been
mid-afternoon in Ohio at the time I saw thisaccording to may calculations.

What was it? Meteor? Atreju Amateur Astronomy 4 October 22nd 07 06:06 PM
Meteor colin.petterson1 UK Astronomy 2 December 11th 05 10:39 AM
Meteor over the M4 Barns UK Astronomy 7 January 23rd 05 08:57 PM
Meteor again... Pete Lawrence UK Astronomy 7 December 2nd 04 11:57 AM
Meteor Tony Vinci Misc 2 September 26th 03 02:15 PM