CfA Colloquia

Old April 7th 14, 07:26 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Steve Willner

Default CfA Colloquia

Our weekly (during the academic year) colloquia are now available to
the public at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAp...xmiV95A0ChueYg

This week's by Daniel Eisenstein was particularly good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429MRyF7PyA
The topic was measuring cosmological parameters using Baryon Acoustic
Oscillations, but he gives quite a bit of background on other
cosmological measurements.

Make sure you view at least the 480p version and preferably the 720p;
otherwise you won't be able to make out details of the graphics.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
Old April 9th 14, 03:21 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Phillip Helbig---undress to reply

In article , Steve Willner
writes:

Our weekly (during the academic year) colloquia are now available to
the public at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAp...xmiV95A0ChueYg

This week's by Daniel Eisenstein was particularly good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429MRyF7PyA
The topic was measuring cosmological parameters using Baryon Acoustic
Oscillations, but he gives quite a bit of background on other
cosmological measurements.

In general, I think this is a great idea. Of course, people who have
trouble listening to a talk a week at their own institute might find it
difficult to see even more talks on the web, but on the other hand they
can hear talks they perhaps otherwise wouldn't hear, replay bits they
don't understand etc.

However, sometimes people mention things in a talk which they wouldn't
like to mention in a more public forum. They do want to mention them,
though, in order to get feedback etc. Do you think the fact that the
talks are on YouTube will influence this aspect of the presentations?
Presumably the speakers are asked, or at least informed. Have all
agreed? Will portions of the talk be removed so that the things
mentioned above can appear in the talk but not in the public version of
it? I'll have a look when I have time. I think questions and answers
should be included as well. (Anyone who edits conference proceedings
should get the questions and answers included as well. This is what
makes conference proceedings still interesting even after several
years.)
Old April 11th 14, 03:13 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Steve Willner

In article ,
Phillip Helbig---undress to reply writes:
Presumably the speakers are asked

Speakers are asked in advance. And I asked before making the public
posting. Until recently, the live webcasts and recordings were only
available internally at CfA, but that has now changed.

Have all agreed?

I don't know of any refusals but can't swear there haven't been any.

Will portions of the talk be removed

I don't know of any editing; given staff limitations I'd find it
surprising. The initial webcasts are live, and I don't see how they
could be edited.

I think questions and answers should be included

They are, but it is sometimes hard to hear the questions, depending
on how far from the microphone the questioner is and how loudly the
question is asked.