Night light

Old May 23rd 13, 02:48 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.sci.astronomy
N_Cook

Default Night light

jbm wrote in message ...
I was out with the dog just now on the local playing field. Clear sky,
bright almost full moon lighting up the field quite nicely. In addition,
there is a high intensity street light just off the field that brightens
up half the field even more. That sets the scenario.

Just before 10:45, the field suddenly brightened up quite appreciably.
Looking towards WNW, something VERY big and VERY bright fell to earth. I
know what planes look like at night, and I know what meteors look like
passing through the upper atmosphere, and this most certainly wasn't
either of those. I would estimate its diameter as about 10% of the
moon's, big to say the least. The light intensity was almost blinding,
bright white, was up there for about 5 seconds, and then abruptly died
out about 10-15 degrees above the horizon. The field was as bright as
during a heavily overcast afternoon. Though I couldn't detect any fiery
tail, it reminded me very much of the meteorite that fell in Russia
recently.

If any one finds out what it was, please let me know.

jim, Northampton

Did you feel any radiant heat on your face? That helped them track down
where the pieces of the one breaking up over Russia were, the witnesses
nearest the distributed landing site felt heat on their faces.

Night light Martin Brown UK Astronomy 4 May 24th 13 04:31 PM
Orbital night city light visibility David Findlay Space Shuttle 6 May 16th 07 05:27 PM
Light Pollution and the Loss of the Night Sky TBerk Amateur Astronomy 20 August 12th 06 03:23 AM
Bright blue light observed in night sky Frackshat Amateur Astronomy 15 June 7th 06 09:21 AM
Friday Night / Light Shade Starlord Amateur Astronomy 5 September 28th 03 04:40 AM