Thousands of stars, including the sun, will turn into huge crystals

Old January 11th 19, 07:20 PM posted to alt.astronomy
a425couple

Default Thousands of stars, including the sun, will turn into huge crystals

from
https://www.cnet.com/news/thousands-...huge-crystals/

(Really?
I thought the theory went that matter concentrated,
ignited into stars, then burned out scattering newer
and denser matter into the universe to concentrate
into new stars and planets.)

Thousands of stars, including the sun, will turn into huge crystals
Long after it's murdered everything we've ever known, our star will
become a delicate floating beauty.

BY
ERIC MACK
JANUARY 10, 2019 5:36 PM PST

interior-of-white-dwarf-v3
A cross-section of a crystallized white dwarf star.

University of Warwick/Mark Garlick
Eventually, the sun will cool off and become a giant crystal floating
through space. It's not a bizarre science fiction plot, but the takeaway
of new scientific research published this week in the journal Nature.

You may have heard that billions of years down the road the sun will
swell to a ravenous red giant star that will eventually swallow Earth.
But long after our planet has been ended, the sun will shrink to a cool
white dwarf star and then slowly solidify into a massive white crystal,
the study says.

That's a lot of bling wasted on the empty vacuum of space.

"All white dwarfs will crystallize at some point in their evolution,
although more massive white dwarfs go through the process sooner,"
Pier-Emmanuel Tremblay from the University of Warwick's Department of
Physics in the UK explained in a statement.

"This means that billions of white dwarfs in our galaxy have already
completed the process and are essentially crystal spheres in the sky.
The sun itself will become a crystal white dwarf in about 10 billion years."

SPACE IS STRANGE
Nearby Barnard's Star hosts an icy planet with new hope for alien life
Teen scientist checks for alien lasers around famously weird star
Space in 2019 will be all about the moon, and one weird asteroid
A team of astronomers led by Tremblay analyzed observations of 15,000
potential white dwarf stars within 300 light-years of Earth made by the
European Space Agency's Gaia satellite. The work verified earlier
predictions that such a catalog of white dwarf stars would reveal a
number in the slow process of turning from what is essentially a liquid
form to a solid state.

"It was predicted 50 years ago that we should observe a pile-up in the
number of white dwarfs at certain luminosities and colors due to
crystallization and only now this has been observed," Tremblay explained.

Sometimes death can be beautiful, especially when it comes to stars and
other cosmic things. But I still wouldn't mind skipping the part where
our entire planet is swallowed in the hellacious heat of a massive
nuclear furnace we once called the sun. But that's just me.

NASA turns 60: The space agency has taken humanity farther than anyone
else, and it has plans to go further.

Crowd Control: A crowdsourced science fiction novel written by CNET readers.