Where is the Roton ATV?

Old October 20th 03, 03:12 AM
Jon G

Default Where is the Roton ATV?

After Rotary Rocket went out of business, was the ATV scrapped or did some
organization buy it? (It would be a cool thing to see flying around Oshkoch,
but even that's going to far. I would still like to see it, if it is on
static display, somewhere.)

Rev. Jon

Old October 20th 03, 04:03 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Jon G wrote:
After Rotary Rocket went out of business, was the ATV scrapped or did some
organization buy it?

Last I heard, it had been (tentatively?) sold to a museum in San Diego,
but the first attempt to move it there -- by helicopter, last spring --
had to be aborted when the Chinook-ATV combination proved dangerously
unstable in flight. I've heard nothing since.
--
MOST launched 30 June; first light, 29 July; 5arcsec | Henry Spencer
pointing, 10 Sept; first science, early Oct; all well. |
Old October 20th 03, 07:56 PM
Rusty B

"Jon G" wrote in message ...
After Rotary Rocket went out of business, was the ATV scrapped or did some
organization buy it? (It would be a cool thing to see flying around Oshkoch,
but even that's going to far. I would still like to see it, if it is on
static display, somewhere.)

Rev. Jon

Here are articles about an attempt to move it by helicopter
from Mojave to a Ramona (San Diego area) museum:

http://www.rotors.org/news/05112003_2.htm

http://www.rotors.org/

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/c..._2m9roton.html

http://crossword.uniontrib.com/news/..._2m2roton.html

--
Rusty Barton - Antelope, California |
E-mail - |
Old October 20th 03, 11:15 PM
Patrick Underwood

"Jon G" wrote in message ...
After Rotary Rocket went out of business, was the ATV scrapped or did some
organization buy it? (It would be a cool thing to see flying around Oshkoch,
but even that's going to far. I would still like to see it, if it is on
static display, somewhere.)

Rev. Jon

Don't know where the ATV is, but the RR buildings were in an episode
of "JAG" the other night.

So what, you may ask? I dunno. I'd like to see the ATV, too. Hey,
maybe Blue Origin bought it.

Patrick
Old October 21st 03, 04:10 AM
Jon G

"Patrick Underwood" wrote in message
om...
Don't know where the ATV is, but the RR buildings were in an episode
of "JAG" the other night.

So what, you may ask? I dunno. I'd like to see the ATV, too.

Maybe Xcor got it.

Hey,
maybe Blue Origin bought it.

Patrick

I like that idea. If nothing else, Blue Origin could be a sort of clearing
house for all space related rumours since they are fairly quiet.

Some other suggestions.

Blue Origin spells Bigelow if you have the secret decoder ring.

Blue Origin's lv consists of a Beal BA-2 with two Kistler K1's as strap on
boosters.It's goal: The Guthlizards of Venus.

Blue Origin: last minute X-prize winner.

Welcome to the Blue Origin hotel, formerly called Almaz 11F668!

Blue Origin: just a front for Wesley Clark's time-machine project.