unusual pebble shape

Old February 10th 04, 07:51 AM
Alex G

Default unusual pebble shape

(Paul Morris) wrote in message ...
In the "mission success" panorama

http://origin.mars5.jpl.nasa.gov/gal...B009R1_br2.jpg

there is visible a pebble or small stone that has a
very unusual shape: it appears to have two "stalks"
that protrude upwards (rather like the stalks
or antennae of a snail).

Actually it looks more like the Energizer Bunny
Old February 10th 04, 10:58 AM
Icarus

albright wrote:
Icarus wrote:

I viewed the area from the two images at the same scale side
by side, and the resolution looks very similar to me. Very
small pebbles visible in the panorama shot are also visible
in the navigation camera shot (especially if you tweak the
contrast and brightness), so I can't really see how something
as obvious as the object in the panorama shot could be
present at the time the second picture was taken and not be
visible at all.

looks like the field is different in the two pictures and the
nav pictures does not go far enough "south" (if you see
what I mean) to get the object into view ...

Have a look at this and see what you think:

http://www.envf.port.ac.uk/jr/object.html

The image on the left is from the Sol 002 panoramic image, the
one on the right is from the Sol 005 navigation camera image.

Old February 12th 04, 12:58 AM
Paul Morris

In article , "Icarus"
wrote:

albright wrote:
Icarus wrote:

I viewed the area from the two images at the same scale side
by side, and the resolution looks very similar to me. Very
small pebbles visible in the panorama shot are also visible
in the navigation camera shot (especially if you tweak the
contrast and brightness), so I can't really see how something
as obvious as the object in the panorama shot could be
present at the time the second picture was taken and not be
visible at all.

looks like the field is different in the two pictures and the
nav pictures does not go far enough "south" (if you see
what I mean) to get the object into view ...

Have a look at this and see what you think:

http://www.envf.port.ac.uk/jr/object.html

The image on the left is from the Sol 002 panoramic image, the
one on the right is from the Sol 005 navigation camera image.

It looks like you are correct. There is a small white feature to
the left of the same "row" that indicates these are equivalent
regions. The "bug" is gone in the navcam image.

Either it blew away, or walked away, or ...
Does anyone know if the "bug" has been seen in _any_ image
other than the Sol 002 panorama?

PM

--
Email: lastname at best dot com. No spam please.
All spam will be complained to sender's ISP.
Old February 12th 04, 01:08 AM
Paul Morris

In article , "Icarus"
wrote:

albright wrote:
Icarus wrote:

I viewed the area from the two images at the same scale side
by side, and the resolution looks very similar to me. Very
small pebbles visible in the panorama shot are also visible
in the navigation camera shot (especially if you tweak the
contrast and brightness), so I can't really see how something
as obvious as the object in the panorama shot could be
present at the time the second picture was taken and not be
visible at all.

looks like the field is different in the two pictures and the
nav pictures does not go far enough "south" (if you see
what I mean) to get the object into view ...

Have a look at this and see what you think:

http://www.envf.port.ac.uk/jr/object.html

The image on the left is from the Sol 002 panoramic image, the
one on the right is from the Sol 005 navigation camera image.

Ahh, there is a small white feature well to the left of the "bug" that can serve
as a landmark.

The distance on my screen from the small white feature to the "bug"
is 8 inches for the image on the left (Sol 2 pancam), which puts it just off the
right hand edge of the screen for the right-hand image (Sol 5 navcam).

So the navcam image is just outside the range that would reveal the "bug."

PM

Old February 12th 04, 05:29 AM
George

wrote:

albright wrote:
Icarus wrote:

[...]

If it is a bug as we know them, he would have had to have been standing on
his head! Here is a color version, cropped to show only the "artifact",
with increased resolution:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/o/rockcat/.../pia05199a.jpg

Download and zoom in on it. I am of the opinion that it is a piece of
debris from the lander, as there are others "artifacts" as well in the
original image. Remember, they had to open up the rover landing craft, so I
would not be surprised at all if there was debris left in its' vicinity.

Old February 12th 04, 11:20 AM
Icarus

Paul Morris wrote:

In article ,
"Icarus" wrote:

albright wrote:
Icarus wrote:

[...]

OK I know I'm being really pedantic now but... :-) The aspect
ratio for the two images is different - The rock outcrop is
significantly wider in the left hand image than in the right,
although the height is the same. Hence it seems to me that we
should expect the distance from the small white blob to the
'object' to be smaller in the right-hand image than in the left.
I think that puts it in the picture still. In fact, I've
annotated the pair of images to show how I think the faint
features in the two images correspond - go back and have a look:

http://www.envf.port.ac.uk/jr/object.html

I'm sure it's all academic anyway, since the thing didn't appear
in the hazcam images after the rover left the lander, which
suggests it probably did blow away, and it was probably only a
bit of crap from the lander anyway... :-)

Old February 12th 04, 05:50 PM
El Guapo

wrote:

albright wrote:
Icarus wrote:

[...]

No, it looks like the image on the right has been compressed for some reason
(or possibly the image on the left has been stretched). Measuring will not
work as a way to compare the two.

If you look at the link again, there are two new pictures underneath which
highlight common elements between the two, and makes it pretty clear that
the object had moved off frame between the first and second photograph. The
only other explanation I could think of would be if the picture had a "hole"
in it, that was filled in by graphics software before being released. Which
is possible, but seems unlikely.

Old February 12th 04, 11:43 PM
OndaWeb

I agree it is most likely debris. STILLLLLL, it would be nice to have
someone at JPL look at this and see if they can figure out what it is. I
have found Ron Baake (sp?) who is the author of JPL email press releases
open to ocassional email

RC

.. .

Old February 15th 04, 04:57 AM
TheonFrm4

apramatly what aere you look at shot you veiw might b touch up by others as the
ones in lateest issue look at faces

Old February 15th 04, 05:06 AM
TheonFrm4

thats either the portion of moon or the force that sliced the top portionof it