The US government shutdown is almost certainly delaying SpaceX'scrucial launch - MIT Technology Review

Old January 13th 19, 05:55 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot[_4_]

Default The US government shutdown is almost certainly delaying SpaceX'scrucial launch - MIT Technology Review

https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

Old January 13th 19, 02:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article m,
says...

https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

From above, NASA statement said the delay was "to complete hardware
testing and joint reviews". I would say that it's pretty hard to do
that when the NASA employees who are supposed to be involved are at home
without pay.

Jeff

Old January 13th 19, 03:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rocket Man

"William Elliot" wrote in message
x.com...
https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

Because nobody wants to work for FREE.

Old January 13th 19, 06:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Jeff Findley wrote on Sun, 13 Jan 2019
08:44:29 -0500:

In article m,
says...

https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

From above, NASA statement said the delay was "to complete hardware
testing and joint reviews". I would say that it's pretty hard to do
that when the NASA employees who are supposed to be involved are at home
without pay.

Since we always go back and pay all these people, we should just
require everyone to work during a 'shutdown'.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old January 13th 19, 06:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

"Rocket Man" wrote on Sun, 13 Jan 2019
15:43:25 +0100:

"William Elliot" wrote in message
ix.com...
https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

Because nobody wants to work for FREE.

And nobody is, since we always pay them up after the 'shutdown' is
over.

The real 'crime' here is all the folks who are NOT working getting
retroactive pay for sitting at home.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old January 14th 19, 02:15 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

"William Elliot" wrote in message
x.com...
https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

Because nobody wants to work for FREE.

Federal workers who are not deemed "essential" can't work during a
government shutdown by law. They can't work even if they want to.
They're not allowed to "donate their time". They'll get in big trouble
if they do.

I've heard from some federal workers that they got in trouble for
checking their emails (likely sending replies too). Their boss texted
them on their personal phones to "knock it off".

Jeff
Old January 14th 19, 02:16 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

Jeff Findley wrote on Sun, 13 Jan 2019
08:44:29 -0500:

In article m,
says...

https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

From above, NASA statement said the delay was "to complete hardware
testing and joint reviews". I would say that it's pretty hard to do
that when the NASA employees who are supposed to be involved are at home
without pay.

Since we always go back and pay all these people, we should just
require everyone to work during a 'shutdown'.

We should, but then it wouldn't be a "shutdown".

Jeff
Old January 14th 19, 02:16 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

"Rocket Man" wrote on Sun, 13 Jan 2019
15:43:25 +0100:

"William Elliot" wrote in message
ix.com...
https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

Because nobody wants to work for FREE.

And nobody is, since we always pay them up after the 'shutdown' is
over.

The real 'crime' here is all the folks who are NOT working getting
retroactive pay for sitting at home.

They really can't work for free, they'd be breaking the law.

Jeff
Old January 14th 19, 05:55 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot[_4_]

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019, Fred J. McCall wrote:

https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

Because nobody wants to work for FREE.

And nobody is, since we always pay them up after the 'shutdown' is
over.

It's costing them money to work for nothing.
Fees for late rent payment.
Fines for cashing CD's early.
Costs of loans to cover loss of paycheck.

The real 'crime' here is all the folks who are NOT working getting
retroactive pay for sitting at home.

And all those government things sitting in congress and
White House being paid big for doing nothing worthwhile.
Old January 14th 19, 07:57 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Jeff Findley wrote on Sun, 13 Jan 2019
20:16:44 -0500:

In article ,
says...

"Rocket Man" wrote on Sun, 13 Jan 2019
15:43:25 +0100:

"William Elliot" wrote in message
ix.com...
https://www.technologyreview.com/the...rucial-launch/

Because nobody wants to work for FREE.

And nobody is, since we always pay them up after the 'shutdown' is
over.

The real 'crime' here is all the folks who are NOT working getting
retroactive pay for sitting at home.

They really can't work for free, they'd be breaking the law.

I know. So why do we pay them for the time? If you were required to
work, wouldn't it **** you off when EVERYONE gets paid, whether they
work or not?

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney