FWD: NASA sends the Beatles to Polaris!

Old February 2nd 08, 09:37 PM posted to sci.space.policy
OM[_6_]

Default FWD: NASA sends the Beatles to Polaris!

WASHINGTON -- For the first time ever, NASA will beam a song -- The
Beatles' "Across the Universe" -- directly into deep space at 7 p.m.
EST on Feb. 4.

....Now, let's be honest, kids: *was* this the most suitable song for
this stunt? Seems to me "All You Need Is Love" would have been more
apropos.

Comments?

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old February 2nd 08, 10:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 14:37:19 -0600, in a place far, far away, OM
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

WASHINGTON -- For the first time ever, NASA will beam a song -- The
Beatles' "Across the Universe" -- directly into deep space at 7 p.m.
EST on Feb. 4.

...Now, let's be honest, kids: *was* this the most suitable song for
this stunt? Seems to me "All You Need Is Love" would have been more
apropos.

Comments?

Just as long as it isn't "Imagine," the most mindless song ever
penned.
Old February 2nd 08, 11:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

OM wrote:
:
:WASHINGTON -- For the first time ever, NASA will beam a song -- The
:Beatles' "Across the Universe" -- directly into deep space at 7 p.m.
:EST on Feb. 4.
:
:...Now, let's be honest, kids: *was* this the most suitable song for
:this stunt? Seems to me "All You Need Is Love" would have been more
:apropos.
:
:Comments?
:

Seems to me that it's a silly idea, regardless of what song is sent.

Presumably the only reason to do this is because we think there might
be someone out there to receive it. However, we can be almost certain
that, if there is, their tone scales, idea of what 'sounds good',
etc., will be absolutely different from that extant in the US.

And it's not like they can speak English and decipher what the words
mean.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old February 3rd 08, 05:12 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_2_]

Fred J. McCall wrote:
OM wrote:
:
[...]

Of course they do speak English. Haven't you ever watched Star Trek?

Alain Fournier
Old February 4th 08, 06:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Feb 2, 4:03*pm, (Rand Simberg) wrote:
On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 14:37:19 -0600, in a place far, far away, OM
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

WASHINGTON -- For the first time ever, NASA will beam a song -- The
Beatles' "Across the Universe" -- directly into deep space at 7 p.m.
EST on Feb. 4.

...Now, let's be honest, kids: *was* this the most suitable song for
this stunt? Seems to me "All You Need Is Love" would have been more
apropos.

Comments?

Just as long as it isn't "Imagine," the most mindless song ever
penned.

That is a John Lennon song not a Beatles song. Besides I think you
really like "Imagine", you just don't like what it does to you when
you listen to it. LOL!!
Old February 4th 08, 06:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:10:48 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
Eric Chomko made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

On Feb 2, 4:03*pm, (Rand Simberg) wrote:
On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 14:37:19 -0600, in a place far, far away, OM
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

WASHINGTON -- For the first time ever, NASA will beam a song -- The
Beatles' "Across the Universe" -- directly into deep space at 7 p.m.
EST on Feb. 4.

...Now, let's be honest, kids: *was* this the most suitable song for
this stunt? Seems to me "All You Need Is Love" would have been more
apropos.

Comments?

Just as long as it isn't "Imagine," the most mindless song ever
penned.

That is a John Lennon song not a Beatles song.

John Lennon was a Beatle. He wrote or co-wrote most of their songs.

rest of typical Eric stupidity snipped
Old February 4th 08, 07:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Feb 4, 12:25*pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
[...]

But the song "Imagine" came out after the Beatles parted their ways.

From wiki under "Beatles":
"McCartney publicly announced the break-up on 10 April 1970".

The song "Imagine" came out in 1971 (also from wiki).

Poor Rand, continually bested by a moron... LOL!!!!
Old February 4th 08, 07:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:04:33 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
Eric Chomko made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

WASHINGTON -- For the first time ever, NASA will beam a song -- The
Beatles' "Across the Universe" -- directly into deep space at 7 p.m.
EST on Feb. 4.

...Now, let's be honest, kids: *was* this the most suitable song for
this stunt? Seems to me "All You Need Is Love" would have been more
apropos.

Comments?

Just as long as it isn't "Imagine," the most mindless song ever
penned.

That is a John Lennon song not a Beatles song.

John Lennon was a Beatle. *He wrote or co-wrote most of their songs.

But the song "Imagine" came out after the Beatles parted their ways.

So? What's your point?

Oh. Right. As usual, you don't have one.
Old February 4th 08, 07:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Feb 4, 1:14*pm, (Rand Simberg) wrote:
[...]

The point is that if NASA is truly going to send out a Beatles song
into deep space, then "Imagine" won't or wouldn't be a candidate as it
is a John Lennon song.

You really are dense aren't you?

Old February 4th 08, 08:05 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:52:11 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
[...]

Yes, but since there is nothing to indicate that there was a
requirement that the song be a Beatles song, you have no point. Just
because they happen to have chosen a Beatles song doesn't mean that
they couldn't have chosen a non-Beatles song.

And in fact, "Across the Universe" is a *Lennon* song. As is "All You
Need Is Love." Thus, the subject was Lennon songs, not Beatles songs.

You really are dense aren't you?

No.