Five most valuable OOP eyepieces

Old December 2nd 04, 05:43 AM
RichA

Default Five most valuable OOP eyepieces

OOP = Out of Production.

What are the five most valuable eyepieces types,
of the eyepieces that are out of production?

I speaking about eyepieces you'd observe with,
not 17th century Huygens which may be valuable,
but not as observing eyepieces.

Near as I can tell, it's these:
1. Pentax XL series 60mm giant eyepiece.
2. Leica 30mm 80 deg. 2"
3. Zeiss Abbe ortho 1-1/4"
4. Original Zeiss Monocentric
5. Pentax SMC ortho.

Old December 2nd 04, 10:49 AM
Lawrence Sayre

RichA wrote:
OOP = Out of Production.

What are the five most valuable eyepieces types,
of the eyepieces that are out of production?

I speaking about eyepieces you'd observe with,
not 17th century Huygens which may be valuable,
but not as observing eyepieces.

Near as I can tell, it's these:
1. Pentax XL series 60mm giant eyepiece.
2. Leica 30mm 80 deg. 2"
3. Zeiss Abbe ortho 1-1/4"
4. Original Zeiss Monocentric
5. Pentax SMC ortho.

Clave Plossl's
Masuyama's

Lawrence Sayre

--
My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as
a moral being, with his own happiness as the moral

Ayn Rand (in the appendix to 'Atlas Shrugged')

Old December 2nd 04, 03:17 PM
Mark D

Yes, Clave Plossls are one that you forgot, and also Nikon Orthos. Mark

Old December 2nd 04, 05:39 PM
Mitch Alsup

RichA wrote in message . ..

Near as I can tell, it's these:
1. Pentax XL series 60mm giant eyepiece.
2. Leica 30mm 80 deg. 2"

Make that Lietz 30mm 88dFOV 2" (not Lieca)
However don't discount the Ziess 30mm 86dFOV 2"
3. Zeiss Abbe ortho 1-1/4"

Rank these #1

Old December 2nd 04, 05:50 PM
Ed T

"Mark D" wrote in message
Yes, Clave Plossls are one that you forgot, and also Nikon Orthos. Mark

Yes, Nikons (the orthos made for the 10cm ED). They run about $400-600.

Ed T.

Old December 3rd 04, 03:07 AM
Richard DeLuca

RichA wrote:

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:22:31 GMT, Richard DeLuca
wrote:

It's spelled 'Leitz' and Leitz is the parent company of Leica. They
could have called it by either name. I was offered the 30mm 88d by Don
Yeir at Winter Star Party a few years ago. He said something like "take
it with you and try it tonight." Well, it was so expensive that I
didn't take him up on his offer. And when an eyepiece has cooling fins,
you KNOW it's hot!

Starry Skies,
Rich

PS: Got my first good look thru one this past summer- an amazing
eyepiece.

When and why did Leitz actually make these for the astromomy market?
-Rich

Others here will probably know more about this lens, but I believe it
hit the market about ten years ago, first in a silver version (before
the black anodized, finned model).

Leitz is an amazing company, always struggling to stay afloat, but
always capable of producing the very best optics and mechanics.
Arguably the finest camera ever made was the Leica M3 in the late 50s
and early 60s. They probably made the 30mm88d for the fun of it. And
they never actively promoted it.

Starry Skies,
Rich
Old December 3rd 04, 04:55 AM
Mark D

Others here will probably know more about this lens, but I believe it
hit the market about ten years ago, first in a silver version (before
the black anodized, finned model).
Leitz is an amazing company, always struggling to stay afloat, but
always capable of producing the very best optics and mechanics. Arguably
the finest camera ever made was the Leica M3 in the late 50s and early
60s. They probably made the 30mm88d for the fun of it. And they never
actively promoted it.
Starry Skies,
Rich

Hi Rich, But weren't these 30mm 88 deg eyepieces actually assembled by
another company using the Leitz glass?

I thought I remembered that it was B+W that actually made these, and not
Leitz.

Perhaps Markus can comment here, as I'm sure Markus has had dozens of
these in his posession.

I've looked through a couple of these that Markus L. had, and yes, they
were quite nice.
Also know of a couple of other friends that own these. I liked this
eyepiece, but just didn't feel like lightening my pocketbook of $1600 to
get one.

At that time, Markus also had on hand, an odd Zeiss Eyepiece of
comparable quality, and FL.
It was also a great eyepiece too, and virtually indentical in
performance versus the Leitz..
Mark D.