ISS and Space Shuttle

Old March 25th 08, 03:41 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Winfield

Default ISS and Space Shuttle

Last night I had a chance to see an evening pass of ISS/Space Shuttle.
Serendipity and a 15 minute heads-up was all it took on my part.

"Heavens Above" web site had listed the two as being docked, and told me
to look at ISS pass opportunities for viewing times at my location. I
had passed thru a small time-warp and ended up at their web site by chance.

When ISS appeared, I immediately noticed two bright objects instead of
just one. Apparently, Space Shuttle was undocked and lagging ISS. ISS
was bigger and brighter and in the lead.

Using my binoculars, I saw an unusual crescent halo that followed
SShuttle. ISS had a smaller, rounded glare/nebula around it.

I am guessing that the closeness of the two satellites and line-of-sight
angle to me had caused this mix of reflections.

Three minutes later ISS and SS faded into darkness.

we live in exciting times,
winfield
Old March 26th 08, 12:17 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
DougD

In article , Winfield wrote:

"Heavens Above" web site had listed the two as being docked, and told me
to look at ISS pass opportunities for viewing times at my location. I
had passed thru a small time-warp and ended up at their web site by chance.

Heavens Above is a great resource for anyone curious as to what's circling
above, and their prediction's are incredibly accurate when you start looking
at things like Iridium flares. I've had a few, very few occasions where
something in their software must of had a glitch, but it's hardly worth
mentioning compared to the millions they've posted. If you really liked
watching the shuttle/ISS pass, you might want to try your hand at watching
for Iridium flares. You can find everything you need on the HA site, and as
long as you enter in accurate position info and have some good weather,
it can be a great show! I have found that in most cases, I don't bother trying
to catch Iridium passes unless they are in the -5 to -8 in magnitude, although
depending on your location, you might not get much more than a -5.

Three minutes later ISS and SS faded into darkness.

But it was still worth it!! Iridium flares only last maybe 10 seconds
or so, and they take a bit of practice trying to spot pre-flare. If you
check out the ground tracking preview on HA, it gives you a bit
of a good start though as to where to be looking, and a decent
compass makes it very easy.

we live in exciting times,
winfield

Yes we do!