ASTRO: Sh2-115 revised

Old August 23rd 10, 01:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Sh2-115 revised

I'm due for cataract surgery soon, find out Wednesday when. Anyway I
don't see fine detail well any more. Should after they get both eyes
fixed but that's a month apart. Anyway I didn't see that my H alpha
darks didn't work well. I didn't have any. Apparently when I took this
I expected to take them but never did. I used some 10 minute ones that
were current and scaled them but that's a far bigger scale than I've
ever had work. I was pleased to see it did. Except I've been told
(many times now) it didn't. I blew it up so my eyes could see the
damage and it was severe. I went back and found some 15 month old darks
that didn't need scaling. I figured they'd not work but they did
surprisingly well. So here's the full size image with a better set of
darks applied to the H alpha data.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SH2-115L3X10HA3X30RGB2X10X3R1.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	632.8 KB
ID:	3095
Old August 23rd 10, 08:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Very good picture Rick, maybe I would have preferred a bit less contrast.
I'll have to find out where this patch of sky is...
I hope all goes well in hospital. I guess it is an advantage that you are a
CCD photographer and not a visual guy.

Stefan

. com...

Old August 24th 10, 03:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_6_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
. com...
I'm due for cataract surgery soon, find out Wednesday when. Anyway I
don't see fine detail well any more. Should after they get both eyes
fixed but that's a month apart. Anyway I didn't see that my H alpha
darks didn't work well. I didn't have any. Apparently when I took this
I expected to take them but never did. I used some 10 minute ones that
were current and scaled them but that's a far bigger scale than I've
ever had work. I was pleased to see it did. Except I've been told
(many times now) it didn't. I blew it up so my eyes could see the
damage and it was severe. I went back and found some 15 month old darks
that didn't need scaling. I figured they'd not work but they did
surprisingly well. So here's the full size image with a better set of
darks applied to the H alpha data.

Rick

Nice. Good luck on your surgery. I just found out I have two bad discs in
my neck and may eventually have to have surgery. For now, it's injections
and physical therapy. Getting old sux, eh?

George

Old August 24th 10, 06:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 8/23/2010 9:17 PM, George wrote:

[...]

Getting old is no fun but then I think of friends that stopped getting
old years ago. Suddenly it doesn't seem so bad after all.

I'm not looking forward to having the eyes worked on but the rate I'm
losing vision I have to do something. I find out tomorrow when they do
the first eye.

Sorry about the neck. Wife's friend just woke up with a severe back
pain just below the neck and found a disk had blown up during the night.
She has been trying everything to avoid surgery but not working very
well. My back isn't great after working with lots of downed trees again
this year (several to do) but so far it's just overworked muscles the
doc says. Good luck with your situation.

Rick

Old August 24th 10, 06:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

You may be right. I see the world in low contrast right now. Hard to
judge. After surgery I will see what I think. Right now it looked way
too flat until I punched up the contrast. Might be the eyes however.

Rick

On 8/23/2010 2:48 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
Very good picture Rick, maybe I would have preferred a bit less contrast.
I'll have to find out where this patch of sky is...
I hope all goes well in hospital. I guess it is an advantage that you are a
CCD photographer and not a visual guy.

Stefan

. com...

Old September 3rd 10, 06:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_6_]

[...]

Thanks. You too with yours. Sorry this too so long to respond to. I must
have missed it.

George