Old December 7th 18, 01:08 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Falcon 9 Delivers Dragon Into Orbit, Flubs Landing

In article ,
says...

I wonder if it's useful to add a backup pump since this has never happened
before in almost 40 landings. They should first find the root cause of the
failure, maybe it's something minor and the pump itself. I doubt if a pump
system would fail if it was properly manufactured and installed over the
liftime of the stage.

My guess is that yes, they'll add some redundancy to the recovery
hardware. This will no doubt cause a small hit to payload capacity, but
since this change would be made to the first stage, the hit isn't 1:1.

Unfortunately, some things can't really be redundant, like the landing
legs. They either deploy and lock in place, or they don't. You can add
redundancy in some of their systems (i.e. double up on actuators or
something similar), but at the end of the day you only have so many legs
and grid fins.

Jeff