Old December 6th 18, 07:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Falcon 9 Delivers Dragon Into Orbit, Flubs Landing

"Rocket Man" wrote on Thu, 6 Dec 2018
14:59:44 +0100:

I wonder if it's useful to add a backup pump since this has never happened
before in almost 40 landings.

No and I doubt anyone is even considering that.

They should first find the root cause of the
failure, maybe it's something minor and the pump itself. I doubt if a pump
system would fail if it was properly manufactured and installed over the
liftime of the stage.

You figure out what sort of failure the pump had. If it's something
other than a 'one off' failure, you make the pump more robust against
that type of failure.

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
live in the real world."