Old May 12th 06, 10:51 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history

Default Oberg: "The real significance of the ISS thruster test failure"

Jeff Findley wrote:

I'm not sure I understand this since the tanks on ISS can feed the thrusters
on a docked Progress (certainly one docked at the aft port, not sure about
other ports). It seems like this would be more useful for a collision
avoidance maneuver when a Progress isn't docked, or for some reason the
Progress engines fail to fire (from what I've read, you can still fire the
ISS thrusters even when a Progress is docked to the aft port).

We discussed this a couple of years back, when the loss of Columbia
ended the regular Shuttle reboosts.
The Zvezda module apparently has left-over fuel still onboard that could
give a significant boost to the ISS' altitude.

Pat