Old May 12th 06, 10:06 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.history

Default Oberg: "The real significance of the ISS thruster test failure"

Dale wrote:

I thought the Soyuz' shelf life was more an issue with its batteries, not
its thrusters (?)...

They're still somewhat closed mouthed about all this and the specifics
of what decays over time.
I'd be seriously concerned about what condition the propellant valves on
the motors would be in after all this time and given the corrosive
nature of the propellants, as well as all the hot/cold exposures they've
had over the years as the station passes through Earth's shadow.
If they had never been fired before it would be one thing, but these
motors have been fired and shut down six years ago.
I wouldn't try to start them, I'd be concerned something bad might
happen; that module is basically a souped-up Mir core module, and Mir
wasn't the most reliable thing ever made.

Pat