Old July 25th 03, 06:30 AM
Alan W. Craft

Default Your opinions, please...

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:14:36 GMT, "Del Johnson" ...reflected:

The 8" f/6 is not too slow for deep sky objects. In fact, it is perfect and
the tube is not really that long.

I agree, and would LOVE to have the 8" f6, but
wouldn't the tube overwhelm a GP-DX mount, let
alone a standard GP? As it is, I'm thinking that
the f5 would be a bit cumbersome in its own
right, but certainly less than the f6.

I've seen the pictures. Parks places the 8" f6
on either their 'Precision,' or, more appropriately,
on their 'Superior' equatorial mounting, and not
at all onto their 'Astrolight' which bears enough
of a resemblance to either the GP or GP-DX
as to preclude their collective considerations.

You want a 5mm to 6mm exit pupil which
translates to a 30mm to 35mm focal length eyepiece. I would suggest 2-inch
eyepieces for wide fields and there are several reasonably priced selections
on the market. The classical 7mm exit pupil is too big but even that is in
reach with a 40mm eyepiece.

A big advantage of f/6 is that you can get by without a coma corrector. At
f/5 or faster you have to start thinking about buying a corrector. Stay
away from the f/3.5!

I'll take that advice, but I'm SOOOOOOOOOO
leaning towards that 8" f5. It would be, perhaps,
the ideal compromise between an f3.5 and an f6.

Way too much coma and it will not correct well with a
coma corrector.

Del Johnson

Thank you, Del.

Alan