Old January 29th 04, 11:46 AM
Pat Flannery

Scott Ferrin wrote:

H-O-L-Y ****. And I thought *I* had too much time on my hands. ;-)

There are four Japanese sci-fi films that are _MUST SEE_: "Atragon",
"The Mysterians", "Message From Space", and "Godzilla Versus The Smog
Monster"...these are the very distillate of what Japanese live-action
sci-fi is all about; The cream that- like nitroglycerin- always floats
to the top of the mixture! The scenes described from the first two
movies stand with the glowing flying walnuts from "Message"- and its
final destruction of evil as the Vader clone falls onto his mother in
the heavily armed wheel chair...and he, she, and it, explode; and when
the Smog Monster craps on Godzilla's head, so Godzilla rips it open and
vaporizes its eggs in his hands...or they may be its testicles...if
someone craped on my head, I would certainly want their testicles to be
ripped forth and vaporized for the sake of simple politeness...
These four make "Un Chien Andalou" look tame and straight-forward.
They should be seen in a virtually deserted theater...like the last two
were by me; even the theater owner and employees amazed that anyone
would actually _spend money_ to see them... not understanding- that like
the Tea Ceremony- this was a _holy_ thing.
I wasn't their to enjoy myself; I was their to commit Seppuku on my
Occidental World View of cinema, leaving it's Oscar-nominated film
emulsions writhing on the floor like so many spilt intestines, as the
razor-edged cold steel of The Japanese Imagination struck at the back of
my neck... and like a Kamikaze pilot's soul speeding its way from a
flaming ship deck to Yasukuni Shrine, my vital essence would be
transported in the Mothra girl's tiny coach across a beam of The Rising
Sun...to Monster Island!

Pat