Old June 29th 09, 01:29 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.history
dott.Piergiorgio[_2_]

Default Fate of Italian Polaris Missiles

Pat Flannery ha scritto:

Since Garibaldi has been decommissioned in 1971 and scrapped in 1972,
this would leave any missiles without a launch platform:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian...issile_cruiser

Here (s.m.n.) we discussed about the feasibility of use by terrorists of
scud-like missiles aboard tramp freighters, and we concluded that is
rather improbable; but a major Navy with a sizeable and modern merchant
marine is a different sort of animal (aside the rather lacking here of
political will & capacity od taking serious decisions (euphemism) )

It sounds like Italy was getting ready to nuke Yugoslavia if Tito tried
anything funny.

The basic fact is that if Tito tried something, will be considered NOT
funny here.

Still today we have serious issues with the successor states, mainly
kroatia.

That Yugoslavia, Romania, and Switzerland had atomic weapon programs was
news to me:
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/alfa.htm

eh.... that was once a nuclear race between us and *switzerland* was
really a surprise to me, when I read for the first time this very
webpage a pair of years ago, i was so --- O_O , notwhistanding that I
already known well about the Polaris and Garibaldi....

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.